What books are you reading?

scourge

• +30/-9
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
What books are you reading?
« on: April 13, 2016, 10:47:55 AM »
I know you guys read.

I've started too many and feel a bit in over my head.

Ancestor's Tale by Dawkins
Mort by Prachett
Shadows Over Baker Street by various
Think and Grow Rich
The Big Short

What about you lot?

nu-safado

• +5/-1
    • View Profile
Re: What books are you reading?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 11:33:02 AM »
The Big Short and EVERY book by Michael Lewis are on my list of reference books for everything business related.

You'll love Flash Boys if you like The Big Short, it's the best book I've ever read on US investing culture and the underlying structure of the crisis. If you read his other books starting fro the late 80's on, you can see the Big Money culture's birth to present day. I can't say enough good things

I've found a new historian named Robert E Caro. I'm audiobooking his life's work which is mostly unreal books on the lives of Lyndon B Johnson and Robert Moses.

I had no idea that Robert Moses was as infleuntial in the creation of NY in its modern form as he was. I have a lot to learn there.

I'll be looking at your other book suggestions. I love thiese book lists :-), I have a few lists that I've pasted into word docs and found gems among poster  suggestions.

I just finished and loved Robert Lanza'a Biocentrism. Scourge, I think you'd find that one interesting.

scourge

• +30/-9
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 11:52:26 AM »
Oh these aren't suggestions. I'm like half way through one (Shadows over Baker Street) and much less than that through the others

nu-safado

• +5/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 12:44:37 PM »
Understood.

I get a lot by looking at other people's reading lists and that one is fantastic. It's a nice suggestion list for me by sheer virtue of thinking well of what you have to say, agreeing or not agreeing with any particular opinions.

Besides the sheer amount of online courses I have running on my cell phone and Ipod at all times, I'm spending a lot of time at present with Robert E Caros work. Every one of his books is close to 1000 pages long, so its usually best to intermingle with other work. As a fellow New Yorker, I thought you'd enjoy his Robert Moses work.

Listening to Tony Jundt's history of European history post WW2 (name escapes me).

David Ogilvy "On Marketing"

also trying to get a hold of paperback copies of:

Hunter S Thompson Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
William Gibson Neorumancer
Robert Heinlein Starship Troopers

Whiskeyclone

• +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 01:24:15 PM »
Fear & Loathing is such a fun, kinetic read, definitely go for it!

I've been reading through Labyrinths by Jorge Luis Borges - mixed feelings on it, but it's a bunch of short stories & essays, so that kind of makes sense. Some of the stories are little more than thought exercises spread across a few pages, some are more conventionally structured stories.

I'm about to start reading The Years of Rice & Salt, which is an alternate history book where the Black Plague wiped out 99% of the European population, and thus the Chinese & Muslims wound up ruling most of the world, with a confederation of Native Americans controlling much of North America and a progressive pseudo-Democratic society eventually forming in Southern India. I read the first chapter or two already online and I'm pretty excited to start in full.

I also just finished reading the first Harry Potter book, which is the first time I ever read one of those books or watched one of those movies (mostly for my girlfriend, but also why the Hell not, I was probably due to read the most popular book of my lifetime sooner or later).

I may throw Miles Davis' autobiography in the mix soon, too.

NeoGreenLantern

• +87/-20
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 02:20:32 PM »
I'm trying to finish up Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. I got about half way through a few years back and then got distracted by other stuff and didn't pick it up again until a week ago.

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 03:13:46 PM »
I don't really "do" fiction novels apart from when my sister gets one published out of a sense of family obligation. I read non-fiction in a pretty much continuous stream so I don't really have time to get into any fictional books (apart from comics, obviously).

At the moment I'm reading Blood Year: Islamic State and the Failures of the War on Terror by David Kilcullen, who was a key advisor during the Surge in Iraq. It's a really good read if you like that sort of thing, it's the third book of his that I've read and all have been really interesting for different reasons.

Before that I read How Terrorism Ends: Understanding the Decline and Demise of Terrorist Campaigns by Audrey Kurth Cronin. If you don't mind a very dry, academic style, it's fascinating stuff, really well structured and explained. It was published a few years ago so it ends with a speculative guess at the best ways to sideline al-Qaeda, which is a bit out of date now obviously. I'd be interested to hear the author's assessment of how the Islamic State may end.

Before that it was Daniel Bolger's Why We Lost: A General's Inside Account of the Iraq and Afghanistan Wars. Misleading title to be honest,  there's very little actual analysis, it's more a collection of "I was there" accounts of various battles. Which are fine but probably shouldn't be sold under the auspices of a top-level analysis of the reasons for strategic failure. It's okay as a single-volume primer, but the topics have been covered better and more in-depth in numerous other places.

Cheers.

LiquidSailor

• +61/-149
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2016, 03:17:46 PM »
What the fuck is this, Miitomo?

DIGUSTING

Star428

• +0/-1
  • USN veteran 90'-93'
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2016, 03:36:51 PM »
Just finished reading The Case against Darwin by James Perloff. Merely a 76 page book that I picked up on Amazon and read in about a week. Just started on these books:

15 Reasons to Take Genesis as History by Don Batten and Jonathan Sarfati both of whom have PH.D.'s in several science fields. It's another book I picked-up on Amazon and so is this one I just started: World Winding Down by Carl Wieland. It's a layman's guide to the second law of thermodynamics.

Oh, and I just started reading my first issue of my subscription to Creation magazine which I purchased from the website Creation.com.

Basically, I love reading anything that shows how laughable the theory of evolution is and why all the real actual scientific and historic evidence strongly favors creation over evolution and a young earth over an old one contrary to what are in kid's textbooks or what most liberal professors wrongfully teach in secular universities.:)   
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 03:55:02 PM by Star428 »
Ignoring:Sarcastic Cat,Dlbiininja,Liquid Sailor,Panthergod,Bran Mak Morn, 80sBaby

For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.-Romans 6:23 KJAV

Best Trump ad ever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIl20jItjHY

NeoGreenLantern

• +87/-20
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2016, 03:46:12 PM »
I wish I could say I enjoy reading how laughable you are but your post are too mind numbingly dumb. They are the "Keeping up with the Kardashians' of posts.

MTL76

• +1123/-16
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2016, 04:31:28 PM »
Feel free not to answer threads like these, Star.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

nu-safado

• +5/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2016, 06:44:03 PM »
Just finished reading The Case against Darwin by James Perloff. Merely a 76 page book that I picked up on Amazon and read in about a week. Just started on these books:

15 Reasons to Take Genesis as History by Don Batten and Jonathan Sarfati both of whom have PH.D.'s in several science fields. It's another book I picked-up on Amazon and so is this one I just started: World Winding Down by Carl Wieland. It's a layman's guide to the second law of thermodynamics.

Oh, and I just started reading my first issue of my subscription to Creation magazine which I purchased from the website Creation.com.

Basically, I love reading anything that shows how laughable the theory of evolution is and why all the real actual scientific and historic evidence strongly favors creation over evolution and a young earth over an old one contrary to what are in kid's textbooks or what most liberal professors wrongfully teach in secular universities.:)   

If you want to create atheological ontology; mix all of the evidence.

There's plenty of anecdotal, scinetific, and philosphical evidence of things beyond this world. It's the world's most multi-discplinary subject. If you just read about creationism you'll get holes poked in your argumnet pretty easily, your faith will be shaken, and you'll end up defensive and bitter or mindless and ignorant.

Some of the greatest minds in history had varying ideas on God. Einstein beleived in Spinoza's God.

Newton believed in a Christian Gnostic God and spent hours admiring trinities.

Carl Jung had no doubt of continuance.

Robert Lanza - the father of stem cell research has a website and several books regarding his beliefs on continuance and he mostly cites very good circumstantial evidence that's very convincing and in-line with a lot of histories mystics and gnostics

The fathers of physics, the founder of the ide of the collective consciousness, and a man who is such a brilliant biologist that he won a high school science project by turning a black chicken albino through gene splicing; and then went on to perfect the missing link in stem cell research.

You'll do better by taking abit from everywhere, and it is everywhere,

Wyntyr

• +108/-82
  • The People's Martyrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2016, 06:50:37 PM »
Feel free not to answer threads like these, Star.

And by "threads like these", MTL means "threads on Herochat"

Currently reading some Elmore Leonard short stories that I never got around to.

Also, "The Secret History of the World: As Laid Down by the Secret Societies" by Mark Booth, in an attempt to better understand the minds of Jelly and Letters
The tree grows high but the oxygen fails to reach all the branches.

Panthergod

• +45/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2016, 06:55:00 PM »
Try Tragedy and Hope by Clinton's mentor and professor Carroll Quigley, where he admits his first hand knowledge and support for of the Western corporate elites imperialist agenda for domination of the world's resources.

Wyntyr

• +108/-82
  • The People's Martyrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2016, 07:26:19 PM »
Does it have secret societies and Rosicrucians and shit like that? If so, I'm in
The tree grows high but the oxygen fails to reach all the branches.