Herochat

JLU was the best superhero show ever?

Imperial

• Was once the Greatest of All Time
  • +5/-0
    • View Profile
Re: JLU was the best superhero show ever?
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2015, 02:36:17 AM »
The JL vs JLU comparison is close. I felt JLU was maybe more consistent and I loved the wider cast. Some of the most interesting characters or storylines involved those who were not a part of the original seven. Not that there was much wrong with that crew. Just that I think expanding the program was done at a wise moment. If it had kept going, it might have jumped the shark, creatively speaking. The direction taken opened up new creative doors and kept the show feeling fresh.

I think it is a legit possibility for best, though Avengers: EMH and Batman: TAS could argue. Those constitute my top tier offhand. Spectacular Spider-Man was really good as well. Too bad it had such a short run.

Otherwise I honestly enjoy the 1960's Marvel Super Hero, Batman/Superman, and Spider-Man toons more than most of what has been on in very recent years.
Sig : Emilie Nereng aka Voe

Bandido

• +6/-2
  • I can't let you do that Starfox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2015, 06:07:15 PM »
Wolverine and The X Men had excellent characterization and some wild story lines th eh were drawing from. I wish the show would have gothen more if a chance, I think it could have been a contender.

HalloweenJack

• +15/-6
  • Rowdy AF
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2015, 06:47:30 PM »
That one just sort of petered out for me. I got about halfway through it and just stopped.

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2015, 06:55:52 PM »
Wolverine was GREAT from beginning to end.  It just inexplicably wasn't given time to flourish.  I still can't figure out why it was cancelled.  IIRC, they were about to go into the Apocalypse arc.  It's like the last 2 Singer X-Men movies, with part 1 being Days of Future Past, and part 2 being Age of Apocalypse, but they cancelled it for no fudging reason.  I guess Singer stole the script so they had to pack it in.

Bandido

• +6/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2015, 03:18:51 AM »
Writers strike man.

Jabroniville

• +1/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2015, 03:28:39 AM »
Avengers: EMH was good, but just never hit the A-level. The voice acting was much weaker than the DCAU shows (of the main cast, I only ever really liked The Wasp, and I found Baron Zemo too cartoonish and Ultron too boring), the team was a total Sausage Party for like 30 episodes (Wasp was the only chick for what felt like FOREVER), and much of the fight animation was weak. JL's run was punctuated by several AMAZING fights, from the humans AND from the super-powered sorts. There was this real cringe-inducing quality to so many of the impacts in that series.

I'll give the A:EMH full credit for the costume re-designs, though. While the DCAU tended to just get lazy after a point and stick most characters in their standard DC outfits in the Timm style (even hopelessly-outdated shitstain costumes like Dr. Polaris's), in Marvel's show you'd see hella-cool upgrades for guys like The Serpent Society and The U-Foes, who would only be on-screen for a few minutes at a time.

But really... any show with Kevin Conroy as Batman is going to be hard to beat. Add in Clancy Brown's Lex Luthor, Michael Ironside's Darkseid, and an episode where The Flash & Luthor switch bodies and Flashlex bangs the shit out of a chick with his sheer good-guyishness so good that she falls in love with him, and you've got wins across the board.

I mean, I liked A:EMH, but they never wrote an episode where a hero turned into a pig, where a Futuristic douchebag saved the universe without anybody noticing, Elongated Man saving the day against an unstoppable menace, and the team being transformed into children. Justice League is just packing too much awesome not to be the clear victor. And that's coming from someone who's a MUCH bigger Marvel fan than a DC one.

Plus, the whole final Luthor/Grood battle.
Luthor: "It could have gone either way, Grodd."
Grood: (wistful) "It really could have, couldn't it?"
Luthor: "NO. But why dishonor the dead?" (sends Grodd to his screaming death)

---

And yeah, Batman: TAS. It had a lot of weak episodes, but you could really just hold the first two Mr. Freeze ones up against any  other show's entire run and it'd hold up pretty well. To say nothing of Mark Hammill's Joker, Harley Quinn, Alfred's quips, and more. Almost Got 'Im is one of the greatest shows in any medium, as well ("I threw a ROCK at 'im...!").

If you allow Mask of the Phantasm as part of the overall total, then forget about it.

---

Can't say squat about Young Justice. Watched one episode, went "fuck's sake- AMAZO!?!" with that stupid Gay Keibler Elf Bodybuilder look of his calling his attacks, and never watched it again. Never saw the point in watching a show about the JV Leauge while the ACTUAL main heroes didn't have their own show at the same time- I kept going "so what the fuck are the MAIN heroes doing at this point?"
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 03:36:46 AM by Jabroniville »

Bandido

• +6/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2015, 04:37:16 AM »
If Batman characterization is your thing, watch Young Justice; it's excellent.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 03:45:33 AM by Bandido »

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2015, 07:29:55 AM »
Yeah watch YJ from the "Misplaced" episode (ep. 19).
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 07:31:49 AM by HelenaRunsThingsSon »

HalloweenJack

• +15/-6
  • Rowdy AF
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2015, 05:35:12 PM »
I actually liked YJ...but then I'm a sucker for green chicks.

Panthergod

• +36/-73
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2015, 06:08:57 PM »
Young Justice was excellent.

And Avengers:EMH was easily comparable to Justice League.

Bandido

• +6/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2015, 03:46:50 AM »
Or ep. 22, "Agendas".

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2015, 06:31:58 AM »
Or ep. 22, "Agendas".

Well he can't miss episode 20, can he?  Of course not.  There are definitely some good moments with Captain Marvel is those episodes though.  The obvious elephant in the room.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 06:33:49 AM by HelenaRunsThingsSon »

Gree

• +37/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2015, 01:52:40 PM »
Young Justice was excellent.

And Avengers:EMH was easily comparable to Justice League.

Except in animation

Bandido

• +6/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2015, 10:05:44 PM »
The whole conversation about who is worthy to be in the league is one of my favorite Batman moments and I include TAS in that survey. His reasoning for giving the kids a shot, especially his answer to Wonder Woman's knock on why he ever took a Robin was excellent.

Red Exodus

• +7/-19
  • The one you've been smashing for!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2015, 02:28:38 PM »
I'd argue its the best superhero team cartoon show ever. Single hero goes to BTAS.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 03:12:23 PM by Red Exodus »