JLU was the best superhero show ever?

Master

• +37/-24
  • When is a raven a writing desk?
    • View Profile
JLU was the best superhero show ever?
« on: November 13, 2015, 11:34:41 PM »
http://io9.com/why-justice-league-unlimited-was-and-still-is-the-bes-1742256265

It is certainly a well thought out article... I just disagree. I think the 2-episode/3-episode runs in Justice League were stronger overall.
9 outta 10 Masters are Master.

AP

• +57/-49
    • View Profile
Re: JLU was the best superhero show ever?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 01:04:47 AM »
I preferred JLU to JL, but I'm not sure it was the best superhero show ever.  Batman TAS and Superman TAS were both really damn good shows.

Bandido

• +6/-2
  • I can't let you do that Starfox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 01:46:34 AM »
It's definitely top 5 material I think. It managed to make audience care about more than the, "Big 7". - Unfortunately, that was also it's bane, It didn't have the time to character and mythos build the way Justice League, Batman and Superman TAS did before it. JLU used the world those shows created and it used them well, but I wouldn't say the best stories out of said universe cam from JLU.

All being said, it's an excellent show.

Jabroniville

• +1/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 04:21:35 AM »
I tend to view Justice League and JLU as the same show. The very best episodes were in JL (The Alternate Universe League & the Series Finale), but JLU had such great stuff with The Question, Black Canary, etc. All the great cameos and stuff. And plenty of JL arcs were straight-up bad, especially in the first season (the Metamorpho one; Morgan/Mortdredd).

The only real competition is Batman: The Animated Series, which had even MORE great episodes as JL/JLU, but also a lot of filler.

scourge

• +26/-9
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2015, 07:53:36 AM »
I'd give the nods to. JLU-- the pinnacle of the evolution of the Timmverse which as a whole cant be touched.

Outside of Timverese, really only Avengers: EMH can hold a candle to them. Glad Marvel also finally did one really well. Not to say I didn't grow up loving Animated X-Men, but it's clearly a step down.

scourge

• +26/-9
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2015, 08:23:08 AM »
X-Love is all about being the right age where just a catchy tune was enough to set the mood, and then a fun bunch of mutants including the ever suave Gambit, the tough guy Wolverine, the ever crushable Rogue... It would only make sense at that age. The show holds up ok, but certainly not something I could see someone enjoying after being treated to better caliber super hero team shows like JLU and EMH.

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2015, 10:32:19 AM »
I personally put Young Justice up there.  It was cancelled right as it was establishing itself as the best superhero show ever.  X-Men: TAS is also not to be slept on.  The vast majority of the show's episodes were very good to great.  Batman: TAS is the pinnacle IMHO because when it comes to characterization and compelling narrative, Batman provides simply the best subject matter and is the best vehicle for comic based storytelling on TV. 

JLU had some great Batman stuff, but he wasn't the focused so it dilutes the impact of the best character.  The CADMUS arc is superior most arcs on TV and had comparable gravity and tension to some of the better arcs in JL, but with MUCH better action, while being a bit more sophisticated story with a wider scope. 

I think that quality of storytelling took an even greater leap in Young Justice with the Invasion arc.  Some incredible voice acting and storytelling got flushed down the toilet because kids rather watch the hijinks of oddly/poorly drawn characters of ambiguous species who all appear to be severely mentally impaired.  I put Young Justice above everything except Batman: TAS in storytelling, but just didn't give us enough to surpass a show like X-Men that gave us season after season of fucking greatness (people giving revisionist history on the quality and entertainment value of X-Men are full of shit).

There was a lot to like about Avenger: EMH, particularly from an action standpoint.  The action was incredible is this show and really depicted the characters abilities well.  However, think back... when the characters weren't fighting or involved in some Mexican standoff weren't they hella irritating?!  individually, none of the Avengers characters were all that likable.  Outside of X-Men, I actually place X-Men Evolution as the third on the list of Marvel shows followed closely by Wolverine and the X-Men.  Obviously I have a particular taste when it comes to Marvel - X-verse >>>>>>>>> Superhero-verse, ESPECIALLY when it comes to MEANINGFUL storytelling. 

Speaking of meaningful, impactful storytelling in the MU, "what's #2?" you ask.  SPIDERMAN, SPIDERMAN, RADIOACTIVE SPIDERMAN!!!  Like X-Men, Spiderman was ridiculously consistent.  The excitement that you felt after school about Batman (because you KNEW it'd be a great episode that would have on impact on you) is similar to the anticipation for the new episode of Spiderman; however, Peter Parker was more relatable so you could actually experience the hardships and learn the important lesson through him.  He was an onscreen avatar for countless school children during the 90s.  Spiderman was special.

1. Batman: TAS
2: X-Men: TAS
3. Spiderman
4. JLU/Young Justice
5. X-Men Evolution
6. Justice League
7. Wolverine and the X-Men
8. Avengers: EMH
9. Teen Titans
10. The Batman
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 10:35:05 AM by HelenaRunsThingsSon »

Astro

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2015, 01:43:31 PM »
JLU was, for me, like a middle of the range DC cartoon.

Before it I'd put Batman TAS, Batman Beyond, and Superman TAS.

XerxesTWD

• +55/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2015, 04:51:29 PM »
I personally put Young Justice up there.  It was cancelled right as it was establishing itself as the best superhero show ever.  X-Men: TAS is also not to be slept on.
The X-Men series fucking sucked. Go try to rewatch that shit.

Dlbiininja

• +16/-8314
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2015, 06:08:17 PM »
Man Batman Animated is my first fave. Fuck that.  That was televised.  I planned to be off of work when that shit aired. 

Young Justice is next.  They had some pretty intense stories. 

Green Lantern comes next for me. 

Jla was nice.  But I think it got better with the Jlu and the much expanded roster to call upon. 
My negative Karma correlates to the amount of butthurt I've caused you! 
blowmeuptom.com/   https://www.facebook.com/tomleykisshow/
http://garyanddino.com/ 

HalloweenJack

• +15/-6
  • Rowdy AF
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2015, 06:16:59 PM »
http://io9.com/why-justice-league-unlimited-was-and-still-is-the-bes-1742256265

It is certainly a well thought out article... I just disagree. I think the 2-episode/3-episode runs in Justice League were stronger overall.

see i thought just the opposite, especially with JL's first season which I thought was pretty meh. 

Astro

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2015, 09:04:23 PM »
I actually thought GL was better than JLU, too.

Ares

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2015, 09:50:02 PM »
I also tend to view Justice League and Justice League Unlimited as basically the same show. We had a format change in terms of no more two-parters, but the series itself tended to become more serialized to balance it out. Looked at it from that view, JL/JLU had a pretty mediocre 1st and 4th Season, but Seasons 2 and 3 were very solid with things like 'For A Better World' and the whole Cadmus Arc.

I wouldn't say it was the best superhero show tho. I actually tend to prefer Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes more overall, since I felt it did as good a job both as an adaptation and a series. Young Justice was better than both from an art/animation and in terms of long term storytelling, but the show suffered from several points that prevents it from being more than in the same ball park as the other two.

Timm's influence likely is what pushes Batman:TAS, Batman Beyond and Superman:TAS above the shows, though I would say that each of those series had its problems as well. The later seasons of Batman and Superman could be pretty bad at times, and even the early runs of Batman:TAS had its weak points. But I think its safe to say that from a pure storytelling standpoint, Batman:TAS had more high moments than virtually any other superhero show.

But then I'd also say that Spectacular Spider-Man, The Batman, Batman: Brave and the Bold, and X-Men: Evolution were all solid superhero series as well, so even taking Batman:TAS out of the equation, JL/JLU had plenty of competition.

Bandido

• +6/-2
  • I can't let you do that Starfox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2015, 12:54:51 AM »
HelenaRunsThingsSon,

I hear you about EMH having great action with weak (er) characterization. I do think starting with a large cast, apart from a pre-built world like JL had for the Timmverse didn't allow for as much development. However, I think Iron-Man, Hawkeye and Hulk (Especially the Banner-interaction dynamic) really got some great non-action oriented character moments.

Kallor

• +5/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2015, 12:58:33 AM »
JLU was, for me, like a middle of the range DC cartoon.

Before it I'd put Batman TAS, Batman Beyond, and Superman TAS.

Agreed.  Also, Justice League and Justice League Unlimited are definitely the same show.