Herochat

Space Marine feats

JookDukem

• +21/-21
    • View Profile
Space Marine feats
« on: November 10, 2015, 02:33:12 PM »
I told you guys I'd give a more in depth list of feats and after going through some various threads online I've found some rather convincing ones:

Much respect to the comic vine and reddit sub-forum respect threads of course. I'm focusing on combat, strength, durability and reaction time for this list.

SPEED/REFLEXES/REACTION TIME:

Covering 19 feet per step while running:

“'Disperse!' bellowed Astelan, sprinting to his right. His power armour took him across the ground in huge leaps, covering half a dozen metres with every pace.

-Tales Of Heresy Page 304

Deflecting Bolter rounds from a Bolter set to automatic fire:

"Vendatha pulled the haft-trigger, and his spear underslung Bolter cracked off a stream of rounds on full auto.

Argal Tal saw it coming. The swords of red iron smashed the first three bolts aside, their power fields strong enough to detonate the shells as they streaked towards the Primarch's heart."

-Tales of Heresy Page 404

Slapping Bolter rounds out of the air:

"Plague Marines shot at him. Those shots that Gammadin did not slap out of the air, he took against his shoulder plates. Shrapnel puffed against him."

-Blood Gorgons, p.159

Ability to process analyze and decide the best course of action within nonseconds:

"The Word Bearer is almost unrecognisable. For a nanosecond, the figure registers to Luciel as an unknown, a threat.

Transhuman responses are already there, unbidden. Adrenaline spikes to heighten an already formidable reaction time. Muscle remembers. Luciel wears his boltgun, an oiled black pit bull of a weapon, in his thigh holster. He can draw, aim and fire in less than a second. The range is six metres, the target unobstructed. There is no chance of missing. Maximus plate, frontally augmented, might stop a mass-reactive shell, so Luciel will fire two and aim for the visor slits. The airgate skin-sleeve is self-repairing, and will survive las-fire damage, but a bolter shot will shred it open, so Luciel also braces for the explosive decompression of a ricochet or a miss-hit. At a simple, subconscious neural urge, boot-sole electromagnets charge to clamp onto the deck plates.

He can make a clean kill headshot in less than a second and a half, two rounds for kill insurance, and probably protect the atmospheric integrity of the airgate.

All this, all this decided, unbidden, instinctive, in less than a nanosecond."

-Dawn Of War Omnibus Page 258

From a complete standstill, leaping 4 meters high:

He leapt. His explosiveness was incredible, clearing four metres from a standstill.

-Blood Gorgon's Page 69

STRENGTH:

Ripping a man in half effortlessly:

One of the Isstvanian soldiers ran at him, shrieking and aflame, and pulled Temeter into an embrace. The captain let the flamer drop from his grip and ripped the man in two, tearing him apart effortlessly. He beat out the flames and grimaced as the rest of his troop waded in and finished the task.

-The Flight of the Eisenstein p.250

Not even straining to lift half a ton:

During a particular training exercise in ambush methods, a fledgling Disciple was crushed by his own poorly-rigged log trap. One of the four - Gabre - simply levered the half-tonne log off the dead man and Mautista saw with his own eyes the way Gabre barely strained to lift it.

-Flesh and Iron Page 118

Backhanding a 440lbs dude sending him flying.

Laughing, Sica backhanded one of the hooded men with the ridged knuckles of his gauntlet, snapping his neck and throwing two hundred kilos of brutish soldier back into his comrades.

-Blood Gorgon's Page 64

Ripping open tanks and such:

Tanks did not slow the Space Marines down. They clambered up on to them, ripped off durasteel hatches as if they were made of paper and dropped grenades into the interior.

-Angel Of Fire

DURABILITY:

All Marines have a very efficient healing factor showcased here:

Red runes winked into life on his visor as his armor was torn open in half a dozen places. He felt searing pain and cursed as he yanked a plate-sized piece of sizzling shrapnel from his leg. Almost instantly, he could feel the Larraman cells clotting his blood and forming a protective layer of scar tissue over the wound. He had suffered much worse before and shut out the pain.

Ultramarines Omnibus Page 22

Tanking a grenade point blank:

They laughed as they worked, a drywicked laughter that was frightening in its intensity. From behind the circular saws of an industrial rockcutter, a hooded man lobbed a rock at Sica. He heard a whistling sound and he turned the slab of his shoulder pad towards the missile. There was a flash of light. Even with his eyes closed, Sica’s vision strobed red and bright yellow. It had been a grenade. The explosion pushed Sica slightly and made him grunt with annoyance at his own carelessness. He shot the man off the industrial saw, quickly, as if ashamed.

-Blood Gorgons Page 63

Tanking lightning that glasses the ground when it hits:

We’re exposed out here,’ Bulle muttered. ‘Let’s get back into the forest.’Tarvitz was amused. Bulle made it sound as if the stalk thickets were safe ground.Giant forks of lightning, savage and yellow-white phosphorescent, were searing down into the open space, explosively scorching the earth. Though each fork only existed for a nanosecond, they seemed solid and real, like fundamental, physical structures, like up turned, thorny trees. Three Astartes, including Lucius, were struck. Secure in their Mark IV plate, they shrugged off the massive,detonating impacts and laughed as aftershock electrical blooms crackled like garlands of blue wire around their armour for a few seconds.

The storm above grew still more ferocious. Five more men were struck. One of them, Ulzoras, was actually knocked off his feet. They saw fused, glassy craters in the ground where lighting had earthed with the force of penetrator missiles.

-Horus Rising Page 232

A few feats that I'd like to mention that I haven't managed to get exact page numbers for because I don't want to look through all of my novels to find the pages.

Forrix a Terminator of the first company of the Iron Warriors was able to take a Leman Russ battle tank falling on top of him and then flipping it over his own body to smash other soldiers behind him. Leman Russ tanks weigh about 60 tons.

-Angel Exterminatus

Learchus - a standard marine of the Ultramarines legion who was tasked with what amounts to bodyguard duty had to get a politicians vehicle out of some mud that it was stuck in. This vehicle weighed about as much as a car. He casually without any visible effort whatsoever just picks the back of the vehicle up and pushes it forward. The ease with which this was doen cannot be understated.

-Ultramarines Omnibus

It's very important to note that the marines performing these feats were not particularly powerful or "better/stronger/more powerful" than any other Astartes in any other legion. These physical capabilities extend to every legionairre. It's literally coded into their genetics from each progenitor Primarch.

The "main characters" of the lore have feats that make these men weep.

For example, Peturabo the Primarch of the Iron Warriors was able to kill 30 Terminators of the Imperial Fist Legion with fucking EASE. Terminators can do everything I just listed except they can tank so so much more, are far stronger and weild weapons capable of leveling most anything you can think of on a field of battle. Peturabo DESTROYS these guys like it's not even a thing. Fucking annihilates them. Extinction status. It's real as fuck bros.

So yeah, much help from existing sources but it's always nice to have this stuff readily available on this site.

Here's the comic vine thread:

http://www.comicvine.com/profile/strider92/blog/space-marines-respect-thread/92848/

80sBaby

• +15/-6
    • View Profile
Re: Space Marine feats
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 02:39:17 PM »
This will probably be moved to the Respect Forum. Good job, though.

JookDukem

• +21/-21
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 02:47:31 PM »
Ahhh, I can see that. Def interested in how the board views this though, hopefully it'll get some traction wherever it goes.

To all who are interested, please weigh in on your thoughts here.

JookDukem

• +21/-21
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 02:59:18 PM »
Many people aren't aware of how powerful a Bolter round is. Some examples:

Each Bolter round causes widespread damage and destruction:

The bolt pistols thundered again. Each round found its mark, and fifty more bodies were reduced to bloody fragments. The rest of the mob staggered on, their outstretched hands little more than a metre away.

At Zahariel’s command, the squad took one last step back and fired five more rounds into the press. Firing bolts locked back on empty magazines as fifty more bodies erupted into gory mist. The mob had been cut in half in the span of twenty seconds, but the remainder pressed their advance.”

Pg.320 FA

A single bolter round blows a man's entire torso away. The whole thing bros:

A single bolt from his weapon blasting the man's entire torso away.

-Storm Of Iron Page 77

This is what a bolter round looks like:

Here is a breakdown of the Bolter Rounds components that make up the weapon:

1. A solid-fuel rocket propellant base
2. An outer casing containing conventional charge
3. Gyrostabilizer
4. Mass-reactive fuse. Has a split-second timer to delay detonation upon impact until after the shot penetrates the target.
5. Hardened diamantine penetrating tip. This allows for the bolt to penetrate most armour before detonation.
6. Main Charge
7. Depleted uranium core. This is a very dense material, adding weight and thus momentum to the round when in flight. This aids in the bolt's penetration of the victim.

There are instances in the lore where a Bolter round lands 3 feet off target and still ruins the targets torso beyond recognition. Bolter rounds move faster than bullets by a considerable margin as Space MArines can track regular bullets extremely easy when compared against tracking Bolter rounds.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 03:00:49 PM by JookDukem »

DarthAlani

• +1/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 03:24:38 PM »
Nice thread, thanks.

JookDukem

• +21/-21
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 04:59:48 PM »
Batman has to take a Bolter round to the chest.

Does he get his entire torso blown up? Only asking because his bat armor seems to have varying degrees of bullet stopping power. Interested in seeing the high end limits of Bats armor to see if he can even slightly take a Bolter round.

Unless I'm grossly mistaken he can take a few direct hits from guns, yes?

« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 05:02:29 PM by JookDukem »

DarthAlani

• +1/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 05:06:30 PM »
A bolter would rip right through his normal suit, but Batman does have a massive jobber aura.

JookDukem

• +21/-21
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2015, 05:11:42 PM »
A bolter would rip right through his normal suit, but Batman does have a massive jobber aura.

Ahhh, exactly what I was getting at. Seems like more often than not, outside of their own universe this would be a major problem for introducing Astartes into any other lore. I can 100% see the Bolters being downgraded for the sake of the plot and story.

Cool to see at least the basic Bats armor isn't really a viable option. Curious as to what the upper limit of a Bolter rounds stopping power is as well.

We know ceramite and adamantine can stop Bolter rounds with ease but both of those metals are insanely durable. Ceramite can take energy and heat signatures reaching levels as hot as the sun and adamantine is a weaker version of the super metal Marvel has.

DarthAlani

• +1/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2015, 05:23:14 PM »
It is in character for Space Marines and Primarchs to brutally kill their enemies.

JookDukem

• +21/-21
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2015, 06:52:58 PM »
In the novel I mentioned for the first speed feat the Marine is running and covering 19 feet per step. How fast is 19 feet per step?

MTL76

• +1107/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2015, 07:24:22 PM »

How long does it take them to take a step?

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

Gree

• +36/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2015, 07:31:06 PM »
Actually curiously, I don't know the durability of bats armor to bullets. I'm assuming his basic stuff should stop high end calibres. I'm sure he has extra durable armor as well. But it sounds like these bullets should go through normal armor

MTL76

• +1107/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2015, 07:39:32 PM »
Bolter rounds are like mini tank shells. Bats is not surviving a direct hit unless he's in some plot-specific gear.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

Almighty Tallest

• +2/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2015, 07:43:01 PM »
19 feet per step is a good feat, it's just worded as "step" so it's hard to quantify as everybody steps differently. If they said 19fps(feet per second) then it would have been just that.

JookDukem

• +21/-21
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2015, 09:09:51 PM »
Actually curiously, I don't know the durability of bats armor to bullets. I'm assuming his basic stuff should stop high end calibres. I'm sure he has extra durable armor as well. But it sounds like these bullets should go through normal armor

Like butter my friend. As I mention earlier these rounds straight up explode once they impact the target. These rounds are made to fight things as beastly as Space Marines.

In the novels often times when a human is shot with a Bolter round the round will pass through the human and anything behind it and then explode.

MTL is pretty accurate when he says they are essentially mini tank shells.

Also, it's important to note that even Imperial Guard troops are far beyond what we are currently capable of in this modern time period. Their armor, weapons, physical strength and reflexes and all that. Even baseline humans are flat out beasts. Imperial Guardsmen have crazy feats to themselves if you were to stack them up against other human level characters from other fictions.

So the fact that Bolter rounds do that to what amounts to suped up humans is fucking crazy when you think about it.

Every single Space Marine has a Bolter or Bolt Pistol. These are the most basic weapons in the Imperium. I have not even begun to get into the powerful weapons.

It gets real bros.