Herochat

Ash vs. Evil Dead

XerxesTWD

• +54/-17
    • View Profile
Re: Ash vs. Evil Dead
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2015, 03:20:39 PM »
Yeah, the missing metal hand was a big clue. And during the flashback voiceover, they only showed Evil Dead 2, not Army of Darkness. He did go word for word on most of the same voiceover he had in Army of Darkness.

HalloweenJack

• +13/-6
  • Rowdy AF
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2015, 03:46:17 PM »
well the series is young yet

Von Doom

• +3/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2015, 04:02:28 PM »
Is the Euro version the same as the director's cut, because that was a fucking terrible version of AoD. Never have I been so happy at the amount of stuff cut for a theatrical version of a movie. It's not just the ending, which was fine. The sheer amount of slapstick in that version was too much, even for Evil Dead.

Not BAMF

• +6/-11
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2015, 05:21:40 PM »
This was great. Are they going to incorporate Army of Darkness into the back-story? Has this been discussed anywhere that anyone has seen? I ask because when he was telling Pablo and Kelly about his past he only mentioned the stuff in the cabin. Also, there was no sign of his metal hand.

Raimi said in an interview that this takes place in an alternate universe where Army of Darkness didn't happen, but I'm sure they can always change their mind whenever they feel like it (the franchise has never cared about strong continuity).

Whaaaaat? That sucks; AoD was the strongest of the original three flicks.

That disappoints me, but the first episode was still strong.

Visitor Q

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2015, 05:27:15 PM »
The European version is about 6 to 8 minutes shorter than the Director's Cut, and I agree that this was mostly a good thing. I even prefer the U.S. version's ending--even though the original is more thematically resonant, the S-Mart scene just feels right on a gut level, and it doesn't hurt that it's so ludicrously awesome.

Visitor Q

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2015, 05:35:28 PM »
Whaaaaat? That sucks; AoD was the strongest of the original three flicks.

That disappoints me, but the first episode was still strong.

He did clarify that something similar to AoD happened to this Ash, but they weren't going into details. That said, continuity was never something Raimi cared about in the original trilogy, so they'll probably just end up referring to it anyway, if and when it makes the story more entertaining.

By the way, Evil Dead 2 > AoD.

AP

• +52/-48
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2015, 08:09:49 PM »
By the way, Evil Dead 2 > AoD.

Hell yeah.  What's with this "Army of Darkness was the strongest of the series" shit?

MTL76

• +1111/-11
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2015, 08:43:32 PM »
Army of Darkness was easily my favorite of the trilogy. I didn't know it was that unusual an opinion.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

Bandido

• +5/-2
  • I can't let you do that Starfox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2015, 12:59:36 AM »
The, "You're going to need another wooden hand." joke, was gold. Few shows have ever made me grin like this one. I'll definitely be tuning in for as long as it lasts!

MTL76

• +1111/-11
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2015, 07:22:12 AM »
I can't wait to see this tonight.

They can always explain away the missing metal hand by saying it only worked in the Middle Ages when magic was rampant in the world, etc.

Mightily Oats

• +72/-576
  • Master of Fagnetism
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2015, 10:08:21 AM »
I can't wait to see this tonight.

They can always explain away the missing metal hand by saying it only worked in the Middle Ages when magic was rampant in the world, etc.
That or that Ash went on to become Big Boss in the Phantom Pain

Visitor Q

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2015, 10:53:09 AM »
Army of Darkness was easily my favorite of the trilogy. I didn't know it was that unusual an opinion.

I wouldn't say it's an unusual opinion, but it's in the minority (and deservedly so, IMO, as incredibly awesome and enjoyable as AoD is), though a sizable one.

MTL76

• +1111/-11
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2015, 12:51:36 PM »
I'm certainly not an Evil Dead 2 hater but at the end of the day what sets the series apart from other horror films for me is the humor and the narrative of Ash. ED2 did have humor but it was secondary to the horror, and the the story is more in line with traditional horror. Ash was along for the ride, while in AoD he was more of a protagonist.

Visitor Q

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2015, 01:00:36 PM »
See, I agree with you in principle, re: the horror/humor mix, but think AoD completely lost the horror elements. There were still demons, but there was absolutely nothing scary, unsettling, or even creepy about the movie at all, at least to me. AoD did have the best version of Ash, though.

Evil Dead 2 managed to have genuinely funny moments while still maintaining the horror, which I think is much harder to pull off successfully.

Part of the reason I'm loving the show so far is that it combines the best things about both movies: An AoD style Ash and an Evil Dead 2 vibe.

NeoGreenLantern

• +59/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2015, 01:14:10 PM »
Bruce and Raimi have said before they weren't doing horror in Army of Darkness, they were doing a fantasy movie.