Herochat

Red Norvell

g-train

• +1/-9
    • View Profile
Re: Red Norvell
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2017, 02:39:22 PM »
Another thing to consider is; all these beat downs are done sans Guantlets or belt of strength, just "basic" Red Norvell here.

Kallor

• +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2017, 03:48:32 PM »
I don't know what to make of Red Norvell, because the stuff done while he's dead and brought back by Seth is suspect due to undead durability.  Enchantress' remarks to Ulik seem to echo this.   There's also the fact that, despite standing up to Thor in a short tussle, his hammer is clearly not Mjolnir's equal since it was blasted apart by Seth's minions wearing old Stark armor.

g-train

• +1/-9
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2017, 05:35:59 PM »
I don't know what to make of Red Norvell, because the stuff done while he's dead and brought back by Seth is suspect due to undead durability.  Enchantress' remarks to Ulik seem to echo this.   There's also the fact that, despite standing up to Thor in a short tussle, his hammer is clearly not Mjolnir's equal since it was blasted apart by Seth's minions wearing old Stark armor.

Yeah but that's when he and other asgardians were losing power.  By comparison, Ulik walked straight through the kind of blast that killed Norvell and tore the armor apart with his bare hands with no problem.

And sure being dead probably gave him some level of stamina/hard to killness going on but he consistently 1-2 shot Ulik.

That's not a factor of being undead, that's just being way, waaay stronger than the guy.

On the other hand; Amora still managed to kill her sister well enough.

Though as for Ulik's "help", well even when he first started out, Sif+The Warriors Three+bunch of asgardian warrior's in the back ground, were all said to have no chance against him.

So they don't really contribute much for Ulik aside from potentially distracting Norvell.

You know what's really confusing?

I'm not sure when Norvell actually "wore" the alternative looks in comic.

For the Lost Gods saga, he basically went around in a full body uni-tard or wore a t-shirt, jeans and a pair of shows.

He gets referenced with Thunderstrike, BRB and is wearing a slight variation on theme with the chain belt thing going on.

But actually in comic, going around in alternative costume?

Excepting for the Onslaught one I'm not sure he did.

MTL76

• +1107/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2017, 04:58:45 PM »
I randomly picked up the issue with Red Norvell's first appearance when I was a kid and it blew my mind. I was very into Greek and Norse mythology, and I got a real kick out of Marvel acknowledging that there were substantial differences between how Thor was presented in the 616 and how he was shown in classical mythology. BUT I didn't find out the in-story explanation until years later.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

g-train

• +1/-9
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2017, 05:55:18 PM »
I randomly picked up the issue with Red Norvell's first appearance when I was a kid and it blew my mind. I was very into Greek and Norse mythology, and I got a real kick out of Marvel acknowledging that there were substantial differences between how Thor was presented in the 616 and how he was shown in classical mythology. BUT I didn't find out the in-story explanation until years later.

Was there an in-story explanation?

I know the eye showed an "earlier" version but wasn't there also some possibility of the eye simply lying?

That and Thor and his fellow asgardians in their current forms have been around for awhile.

MTL76

• +1107/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2017, 05:59:43 PM »
From Wikipedia:

"Part of a documentary crew brought to Asgard by Loki, Roger "Red" Norvell meets and falls in love with Lady Sif. Red Norvell is given Thor's Iron Gauntlets and Belt of Strength by Loki to compete with Thor for Sif's affections, beating him and taking his hammer, with neither realizing this was part of a master plan by Odin to create a surrogate God of Thunder to die fighting the Serpent of Ragnarok and fulfill the prophecy.[1]"

Basically, Odin knew that Thor was destined to die fighting the World Serpent in Ragnarok, so made a "new" Thor to die in his son's place. Pretty clever of Odin.

g-train

• +1/-9
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2017, 06:07:04 PM »
From Wikipedia:

"Part of a documentary crew brought to Asgard by Loki, Roger "Red" Norvell meets and falls in love with Lady Sif. Red Norvell is given Thor's Iron Gauntlets and Belt of Strength by Loki to compete with Thor for Sif's affections, beating him and taking his hammer, with neither realizing this was part of a master plan by Odin to create a surrogate God of Thunder to die fighting the Serpent of Ragnarok and fulfill the prophecy.[1]"

Basically, Odin knew that Thor was destined to die fighting the World Serpent in Ragnarok, so made a "new" Thor to die in his son's place. Pretty clever of Odin.

Yeah; that's actually why he made Beta Ray Bill, Thunderstrike "and" Red Norvell.  Because each could potentially take his place and/or help to keep Seth in line.

What I was meaning is why the mythological one in marvel-earth looks more like Red Norvell than the one they actually had running around.

I was wondering if there was ever an explanation for that one.

MTL76

• +1107/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2017, 06:15:11 PM »
Not entirely sure but I think Marvel Odin had a hand in creating the way Norse mythology developed. He deliberately made sure the Thor of written mythology did not resemble the "true" Thor, his son. Then he created his surrogate to match the mythology so he could more seamlessly slip into the prophecy.

Odin memed our mythology into existence.

g-train

• +1/-9
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2017, 06:16:20 PM »
Not entirely sure but I think Marvel Odin had a hand in creating the way Norse mythology developed. He deliberately made sure the Thor of written mythology did not resemble the "true" Thor, his son. Then he created his surrogate to match the mythology so he could more seamlessly slip into the prophecy.

Odin memed our mythology into existence.

That would make sense.