Herochat

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note that forum is still under construction.

heroes
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21

Author Topic: Interesting Take On DC Movies  (Read 23322 times)

Dutchman

• Billy Ray Valentine
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting Take On DC Movies
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2014, 06:14:01 PM »

Hell Marvel HAS a show off the ground and most people are still talking about Flash, Arrow, and Constatine, despite Arrow being absolute shit.

nu-safado

• Administrator
  • Pluto Nash
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2014, 01:25:58 AM »

They're ebig smart to avoid marvel's well-crafted universe, which is way too embedded in pop culture to try to imitate at this point. When Fox and Sony do the same, it looks fairly weak. A Marvel post-credits scene is usually a HUGE deal. Days of Future Past, a great movie, was pretty meh in the post-credits. "X Men are going to fight a big, bad guy news at 11"

DC is (in theory ) taking the fact that their top 2 iconic characters (more if you count that several others are pretty iconic as well) don't need much backstory.

MoS was (I'm in the minority here) an excellent way to start the DC film U. It gave us all the  over-the-top action and set up a world full of consequences to shape a universe around. marvel is giving us the light hearted stuff and slowly showing us what terrible consequences can come off it.

The video made a very good point on one thing. I don't think audiences will care much about details or Easter Egss as long at the basic template is followed

Superman is the moral backbone, inspiration and powerhouse

Batman is the hardcore bad ass who uses fear as opposed to inspiration

Wonder Woman is a femininst icon - by being a strong female character and not overly sexually objectified (she has a lot of potential)

etc......

If they leave this out then yes, its a failure.  I see promising signs in both directions. Having people in the film with comic book affiliations like Affleck. A visual guy like Snyfer and bringing in writers to shore up the weaknesses of the concept people like Goyer and bringing in Geoff Johns (he was brought in as an advisor or something or other) were all smart moves.

Cavill is IMO a great Superman if he is written correctly. he nailed everythhing they gave him, the script simply fizled at the very end but if the sequel has Cavill become morallly incorruptible as he has seen what he is capable of when he is Superman (and to be fair he isn't really Superman until the end of MoS) then we have a Superman who has saved the world and we can see him slowly show the world why he is Superman.

Dawn of Justice has a lot of good concepts to play with, albeit a lot of risky production and opportunities to mess up - it has the potential to be much better than people are expecting.

The theme of classic hero's as represented in the modern world is really good if you can pull it off. Jesse Eisenberg from the Facebook movie could absolutely pull off the malivious and modern lex we hate - whether he's up o the job and the script does the job is another question

Ramz

• Norbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2014, 08:49:00 PM »

Unless wonder woman appeals to men, and is overly sexualized, the movie wont do that well. Biology 101 over here. Give a dude a boner, he will pay you.

nu-safado

• Administrator
  • Pluto Nash
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2014, 09:01:52 PM »

I got a boner just from the pick and at least 3 quality FAP's, I think she'll do fine

Dutchman

• Billy Ray Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2014, 09:13:08 PM »

Doesn't / Isn't Wonder Woman (about to) have the main director from Breaking Bad attached?
That might be hella good news.

Ramz

• Norbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2014, 07:35:08 PM »

I got a boner just from the pick and at least 3 quality FAP's, I think she'll do fine

2 minutes ago you said it was a feminist piece and isn't sexualized. What the nig fuck, guy?

Dutchman

• Billy Ray Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2014, 11:58:52 AM »

WW's director attached, it's

THIS PERSON I MENTIONED BEFORE
https://variety.com/2014/film/news/wonder-woman-director-michelle-maclaren-1201363900/

ShadowFaggot

• Axel Foley
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2014, 10:56:10 AM »

Didn't Geoff Johns help with the Green Lantern movie?

From what I gather he had quite a lot of input and there was a story on Deadline that a few people at DC felt he had a fair part to play in the movie being such a failure.

Strawman Abridged

• Axel Foley
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2014, 03:10:26 PM »

Movie Hal was every bit as shit as his comic book Hal, so I can buy into that rumor.

Gree

• Prince Akeem Joffer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2014, 04:56:09 PM »

Agreed

Astro

• Doctor Doolittle
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2014, 05:47:01 PM »

Didn't Geoff Johns help with the Green Lantern movie?

From what I gather he had quite a lot of input and there was a story on Deadline that a few people at DC felt he had a fair part to play in the movie being such a failure.

Geoff Johns didn't move the needle on it at all, one way or another. I read the original script, and it was terrible. It was a terrible script written by mediocre writers, produced by mediocre television people. They got a director who is mostly passed his prime to do a kind of movie he had never done before that was fraught with serious hurdles naturally.

Geoff Johns maybe added a few nerd kernals to the thing, but the real problem was there from the start. Those people make shitty things (sorry, fans of Arrow and Flash).

Dutchman

• Billy Ray Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2014, 07:01:05 PM »

Geoff Johns maybe added a few nerd kernals to the thing, but the real problem was there from the start. Those people make shitty things (sorry, fans of Arrow).
never say sorry
never surrender

Dutchman

• Billy Ray Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2014, 07:08:49 PM »

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/suicide-squad-cast-revealed-jared-leto-to-play-the-joker-will-smith-is-deadshot-1201368867#u=http://variety.com/2014/film/news/suicide-squad-cast-revealed-jared-leto-to-play-the-joker-will-smith-is-deadshot-1201368867;k=pmc-adi-31bb2464aad8b905af7a81e1d57b77ae

I guess it's confirmed?

Watch all the fucking idiots complaining about Black Heimdall and Black Stormtrooper dude not give a shit about Black Deadshot because Will Smith only vaguely looks like he's been dipped in tea.

Personally I'm more concerned with whether or not he can grow the 'tache

nu-safado

• Administrator
  • Pluto Nash
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2014, 11:31:36 PM »

Geoff Johns didn't move the needle on it at all, one way or another. I read the original script, and it was terrible. It was a terrible script written by mediocre writers, produced by mediocre television people. They got a director who is mostly passed his prime to do a kind of movie he had never done before that was fraught with serious hurdles naturally.

Geoff Johns maybe added a few nerd kernals to the thing, but the real problem was there from the start. Those people make shitty things (sorry, fans of Arrow and Flash)

That's right  DONT SURRENDER!

But you're wrong.  A lot of writers and talent get chewed up by the system. Great movies are made when the studio gives one part of the talent (actor/great director/producer) room to make decisions. Otherwise you have excellent Marvel films that on occasion hit it way the fuck out of the park (Winter Soldier/GoTG - Avengers (spectacle was half of that though))

In films that fail like GL or Goyer's Blade 3(had to bring up your fave if you look hard enough sometimes the writers are dead on but there are outliers.

Studio's get involved and you get GL. GL is a straight forward story - hero is a heroic and charismatic normal guy, gets powers, goes on hero's journey, end story. I can only imagine how much the story "demanded" to put in." I can't imagine any writer with a modicum of talent writing parallax to look and act like that, the forced romantic relationship, the giant testicle head Hector Hammond - it reeked of shoveling in executive demands

Even when that's not the case - sometimes a good writer will get a script going, modway through (and this did happen with GL)  another writer is brought in to "clean up the script". which is Hollywood speak for pick up from where the now fired guy left off and mix a new writing style with plot points that are different than writer #2 wants and eventually, it's a move written by committee with predictable results

Goyer had an amazing plot and opening to Blade 3 (if I could only remember where I read the fucking thing) and say what you will but Goyer is a very good concept man with bad dialogue and third act issues - he works well with partners (hence Batman/Blade 1 and 2 and should have been 3 being so good while others are less so) Wesley Snipes had an absolute meltdown on set and most of the movie was filmed without him. Google patton Oswalt talking about this and check out the you tube outtakes

nu-safado

• Administrator
  • Pluto Nash
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2014, 11:40:46 PM »

@ Dutch - check out Smith's stache in The Pursuit of Happyness" - shave tht bad boy down and give him a rifle, set him up in a belltower somewhere and let the bullets fly

One thing I thought of is in genre specific films you usually get at the very worst  acceptable work if you let your creative team, assuming they are talented, do their jobs and see their vision through with little studio caveats. It's one of the reasons I think Dawn Of Justice will at the very least be better than mediocre but won't be "great." The studio has given the creative talent free reign to see their vision through and it will have the specatacle anticipation of batman/Superman/wonder Woman all on screen together with a clear vision to

- introduce everyone
-make Aquaman a badass
-make Wondder Woman a huge player
- really flesh out Superman's storyline

So here's a prediction. Age of Ultron will blow theaters out of the water - but it will still lose a tiny bit of luster since marvel is expected to deliver now and from all accounts - Star Wars is looking quite good and spoilers seem to  indicate that there are some interesting concepts there.

DC will introduce its cast as the Thanos storyline is winding down to a massive - holy shit finish and then most of the actors will be swapperd out as DC is in the middle of its world building adventures. Marvel will continue to make excellent movies, but there are no guarentee's phase 2 will have the same momentum of building to an incredible showdown of phase 1 - whereas DC will be picking up steam.

Comic book movies will stay strong because of this and  DC will get a  lot of great stuff done
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21