Herochat

Ta-Nehisi Coates and Brian Stelfreeze on upcoming Black Panther series

Kang Council

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Ta-Nehisi Coates and Brian Stelfreeze on upcoming Black Panther series
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2015, 09:22:00 PM »
And it would make the people who say they only care about their own race w/little empathy for others.....actually right.

........it's getting really late so....

Wyntyr

• +114/-83
  • Literally The Devil
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2015, 09:26:28 PM »
How does no one on this fucking board understand how an ellipsis works?

Jesus Christ, you guys
The tree grows high but the oxygen fails to reach all the branches

YTbRayCiss

« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2015, 09:49:13 PM »
Pretty sure LS made all these points in the blm topix on the debate forum, where he destroyed everyone with solid facts.

80sBaby

• +35/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2015, 04:38:42 PM »

What's the "correct" way to deal with it, iyo?

How about not killing off an established character replacing him with a black one (mixed race apparently) and when the fans don't like it accuse them of being racist?  How about not doing that? I think that's pretty reasonable.  Also this is classic leftist liberal 101 any time a racial issue is raised and somebody doesn't agree with it accuse them of being racist.  This is something that has been seen constantly in Western media (news, tv shows, comics, films etc). That was the consensus at that time and we can assume since we didn’t  see anyone argue otherwise that’s what Marvel was going with (if you don’t like Spiderman being replaced by a black guy you’re racist).  As you are aware though people are getting fed up, I guess you didn’t notice.

Okay, first of all, which character was killed off to be replaced with a minority? You mean Ultimate Spider-Man? Because if so, Peter was also brought back to life not to mention, the "real" Peter was still a white guy in the 616 so what's the harm?

As for calling those who dislike it racist, I see this claim a lot but no real evidence of it happening. What I do see is some people making racist comments for the reason they dislike the change and being called on it. If you have examples of someone doing what you claim, I'd like to see it. For my part, I know I haven't called you a racist nor has anyone else in this thread.

And your examples are irrelevant since I didn't say it NEVER happens, just that every case isn't the same.

Ok here’s the deal if you troll me like you’re doing now I’m going to ignore you.  If you want to debate I’ll try my best to keep up with the posts, but if you’re planning to drag this thread for 100 pages while you mess me around, forget it.

That’s a stupid statement….and you know it.  Obvously if we are talking about PC and race baiting I’m going to have to give you examples.  An intelligent  response is to indicate wether you disagree or not and then ask for other examples.[/quote]

LOL trolling? Hardly. You can respond or not. makes no difference to me.

And you may not have intended to, but the inference was there.

But, again, you seem incapable of making a distinction with the actual works and instead make knee-jerk assumptions.

Again?  I actually don’t think you called me out anything.  Last time we spoke I pointed out the racial issues and turmoil you’re dealing with in America.  Marvel does not exist in isolation and common sense indicates what happens in the real world is going to be represented in Marvel  comics.  You didn’t respond to that last post because you knew I was right.
America going through racial turmoil + Marvel at the same time going for diversity push = Just a coincidence?[/quote]

No, I didn't respond previously because I've had this same argument many times with others who have made the same "points" as you. It always ends with neither side changing their position so I don't see the point. Most here will pointlessly argue for pages, repeating the same arguments ad nauseum. I don't. Me not responding shouldn't be seen as a concession.

I'm curious if/how you'll answer Dlbiininja's question.

Sure.  Punisher getting a black face isn’t race baiting because he had a black face.  It’s race baiting because of what happened during the arc.  If you read the story Punisher talks about how a police officer is treating him differently because he’s black.  Again classic leftist and this narrative has been getting spun since the 90s.  It’s race baiting because this issue isn’t dealt with intelligently.

Why are they making a big deal about Punisher being treated badly because he’s black when lots of white people get abused by the police as well?  When you have a problem that all races have to deal with and you try to act like it’s exclusively a black issue it’s race baiting.  If you want to argue that black people get it worse, sure but there are lots of poor white people who have to go through the same thing that black people do.

This is what gets pushed not just in the comics but in the movies, tv shows etc, that the reason why black people have a problem in America is because it’s a racist country, the police are racist and white people are racist.  That’s not the problem, sure you can argue that the reason why black people are going through trouble is because of white people but it’s not white people in general or the police.  It’s the people at the top and some of those people would be black.  It’s things like the corruption of hip hop by turning it into a thug culture and making black people look up to criminals, it’s the destruction of the black family and here’s an important point the targeting of abortion clinics in black neighbourhoods.  You may agree or disagree with abortion but when you target a race and more black babies are aborted than are born in a year that’s genocide!  I’ve  never seen this issue raised in comics ever and the reason for that is because it’s an issue that is mainly considered to be conservative.

The left for the most part control the media and are always constantly telling people what to think and do on race and other issues.   So yea pretty much most of the time when race gets brought up in comics I tend to assume there’s an agenda.  However I think DC deal with race very well and I don’t have many issues with them, I do with Marvel.

I think I'm being pretty reasonable.
[/quote]

Ok. Well, first of all, speaking about the issues faced by a particular race shouldn't automatically be considered "race baiting." Where's the empathy? Second, while it's true that poor whites do suffer from police discrimination, the point is that black people, regardless of social standing suffer more.  And yes, racism is a huge reason for issues plaguing African-Americans.

I also agree that there is class warfare going on and the the people at the top are causing a lot of issues, too. However, that doesn't mean we should ignore racism or pretend like it isn't a factor just because it makes some people uncomfortable. I'd say that the issue about abortion clinics not being raised in comics isn't due to conservative vs liberal but, mainly, because it's not a rife with storytelling potential as other issues that do get raised. I don't expect comics to tackle every social issue out there so, when they don't, I'm not upset. Nor am I do I care when they do get on their soapbox. It's just a story to me.

As for DC vs Marvel, well I'm not sure how much Marvel or DC you've read lately but I'd say Marvel is making much greater strides in diversity, especially with ANAD. And no, I'm not merely speaking about legacy characters. You already said you liked Blue Marvel. So i would suggest the Ultimates book coming out, as it also stars Ms America-Chavez, BP and Monica Rambeau. Also, Amazing Spider-Man has the Prowler as Peter's co-star and Contest of Champions introduces a new Korean hero. There's also New Avengers, which has Sunspot as their leader and both Hulking and Wiccan. There's more out there, too.

But, my main point is that, why is it whenever a new minority character/writer is brought on board, the first criticism is almost always about PC pandering or race baiting? Having an agenda isn't necessarily a bad thing. Sometimes it is. Why criticize it prior to actually reading said material? This cynicism is tiring.

Kang Council

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2015, 05:57:56 PM »
Am I the only one who's going to call this guy out?  Seriously?  Have you no shame?  He doesn't care that his race has been targeted for extermination instead he's trolling me.

I'd say that the issue about abortion clinics not being raised in comics isn't due to conservative vs liberal but, mainly, because it's not a rife with storytelling potential as other issues that do get raised. I don't expect comics to tackle every social issue out there so, when they don't, I'm not upset. Nor am I do I care when they do get on their soapbox. It's just a story to me.

Wow.  I could just end it here, and maybe I should.  If you don't see a problem with that then you're beyond saving.

If you're race is being targeted for extermination do you

A:  Get upset about it

OR

B: Troll somebody on a forum and act like it isn't a big deal.

https://www.thefederalistpapers.org/us/nyc-more-black-babies-killed-by-abortion-than-born

Are you as horrified by this as I am, or do you think I’m over-reacting?

apparently you are.

Do you know the roots of abortion and about Margaret Sanger and you're telling me some rubbish about it's not rife with storytelling. Margaret Sanger wanted to exterminate black people. Genocide = not rife with storytelling? Keep trolling me and keep telling me it doesn't upset you.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 06:42:58 PM by Kang Council »

Panthergod

• +45/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2015, 11:22:37 PM »

Wyntyr

• +114/-83
  • Literally The Devil
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2015, 11:24:56 PM »

FUCK YOU

That is not how an ellipsis works
The tree grows high but the oxygen fails to reach all the branches

TNC

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2015, 11:46:40 PM »

Cool idea. If CM Punk can write Thor, why not have an actual writer take a crack at a character he likes?

Average John

• +5/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2015, 05:43:48 PM »

Cool idea. If CM Punk can write Thor, why not have an actual writer take a crack at a character he likes?

Coates is a legit talented writer, so I am excited about this book.

g-train

• +1/-9
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2015, 07:47:54 PM »
How does no one on this fucking board understand how an ellipsis works?

Jesus Christ, you guys

Ellipsis are gay ass faggot shit buddy.

I don't even know what your talking about.

Fucking sexual tyrannosaurus.