Herochat

Catcalling: an American thing or a New York thing?

AP

• +112/-56
    • View Profile
Catcalling: an American thing or a New York thing?
« on: November 06, 2014, 11:06:04 PM »
With the recent "Woman walks through NYC for ten hours" video, I've seen a number of people, both in and out of New York who say that the idea of catcalling and shouting out in the street is a New York thing (or at least, an East Coast thing or possibly a Metropolitan US thing).

Growing up in two different states in multiple areas of the Mid-West, and traveling to both coasts, down South, to major cities and small towns, I can see this being true.  People just don't act like that in fly-over states, usually.

Any thoughts as to why this is?  Any arguments?  Personal experiences?

Rufio

• +5/-7
    • View Profile
Re: Catcalling: an American thing or a New York thing?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 12:22:24 AM »

When I was in a big college town I occasionally 'catcalled' for fun and also got 'catcalled' by drunk girls when I wore a shirt that showed my muscles. I haven't seen it much in real life during daytime or when people were sober, except once by a super machismo recent immigrant in Miami.

If I had to guess I'd say the reason it occurs more in some NY neighborhoods during the day is the sheer volume of pedestrians. The anonymity of big crowds makes people bolder.

AP

• +112/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 12:40:37 AM »
When I was in a big college town I occasionally 'catcalled' for fun and also got 'catcalled' by drunk girls when I wore a shirt that showed my muscles. I haven't seen it much in real life during daytime or when people were sober, except once by a super machismo recent immigrant in Miami.

Hmmm.  Yeah, drunken horny college students would be more likely than most.  Good call.

If I had to guess I'd say the reason it occurs more in some NY neighborhoods during the day is the sheer volume of pedestrians. The anonymity of big crowds makes people bolder.

So it's more of a Metropolitan issue in your view?  The anonymity of it makes sense.  If you pull that shit in a small town, there's a possibility someone you know will see you, or at the very least, you might bump into that person again and she might take you to task for it.

Ramz

• +2/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 12:43:29 AM »
Its more a low income no education thing.

Bran Mak Morn

• +14/-15
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 01:02:45 AM »
In Australia, cat-calling is more common towards pointing out ugly women or calling a guy a "faggot" trying to pick random fights.

AP

• +112/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 02:22:29 AM »
Its more a low income no education thing.

I'm from poor, uneducated areas... no catcalling.  Meanwhile, people in New York, on average, tend to be more educated and wealthier than the fly-over states.

Jabroniville

• +4/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 03:02:38 AM »
I've seen it from time to time in Edmonton, but generally the kind of cowardly "catcalling while sitting in a car that's temporarily stopped" thing. Really not that often, though- the only "guy on the street catcalling a girl" incident was when a girl was dressed in REALLY skimpy clothing (OMG I'm slut-shaming & victim-blaming!).

Hulkster

• +13/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2014, 10:24:43 AM »

Rufio

• +5/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2014, 10:40:05 AM »
In Australia, cat-calling is more common towards pointing out ugly women or calling a guy a "faggot" trying to pick random fights.

I've also seen more of guys yelling at each other from a distance. Underage college bros love to yell "faggot" from a distance, especially when drunk or when they have back up.

How do we define 'catcalling' anyway? Is it just yelling at a distance? That video included guys who were genuinely trying to talk to her at close range. If you include the latter, I have many more stories to tell. But if it's just shouting at a distance it seems much rarer.

Sarcastic Cat

• +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2014, 11:27:28 AM »
catcalling can happen anywhere to any gender or orientation. Lord knows I've had women calling after me when I'm going to the train. And its never anyone who looks good or like they have a decent job.

New York is another matter entirely. If your walking around long enough people are going to talk to you. Might not be a catcall but you will be hit up for money or someone stops and asks you for directions (always fucking happens when I wear my glasses, people think Im smart or something.) Point is anytime you walk around New York people are going to interact, ask you to take a survey or some shit. So if your fucking walking around from 10 hours especially in the evening when people are off work the druggies are more prevalent you gonna get hit on.

If people want to stop catcalling. You've got to: improve education across the board, change how kids are being raised, how media operates and influences youth. And guess what catcalling is still going to happen. If someone is being physically harassed or assaulted thats another matter entirely. But that New York PSA video uses the term "harassment" loosely. Outside of any potential problems from the two guys following the "actress," there are far bigger social problems people should concern themselves with.

XerxesTWD

• +98/-26
  • You can't park here, buddy. Earth is closed today.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2014, 03:55:19 PM »
You'd have to try really hard to find that in major Southern California cities(LA, SD, Various OC cities, Santa Barbara). I didn't see it in Northern California either(Sacramento, SF, San Jose).

It has always seemed to be an NYC thing, showing up in movies and TV.

AP

• +112/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2014, 07:20:15 AM »
No then we agree, New Yorkers are just assholes.

Seriously, though, I saw another version of this video from New Zealand (maybe Wellington?) and they had a hot model and there were no catcalls.  The only guys who said anything was a dude who asked for directions and another guy from Italy who thought the lady was from Italy herself.

Master

• +42/-24
  • When is a raven a writing desk?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2014, 07:28:58 AM »
I have only seen it happen once down in Georgia... and it two older guys who appeared to be drunk calling after two women who had just given each other a "good bye" hug.

In Athens (university of Georgia), never saw it happen downtown... and that's a 35,000+ college student campus in the middle of a small city.  I seriously think that if someone tried it, they would have gotten the shit kicked out of them.
9 outta 10 Masters are Master.

Rufio

• +5/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2014, 10:17:16 AM »
I have only seen it happen once down in Georgia... and it two older guys who appeared to be drunk calling after two women who had just given each other a "good bye" hug.

In Athens (university of Georgia), never saw it happen downtown... and that's a 35,000+ college student campus in the middle of a small city.  I seriously think that if someone tried it, they would have gotten the shit kicked out of them.

Got the shit kicked out of them ... You serious? I've seen it happen near campus several times, including doing it myself and having it done to me. It was always an obvious joke that everyone laughed at, usually while at night while drunk or buzzed.

College students yelling at each other from a distance is a lot different than economically and socially underprivileged men yelling at professional women walking through the hood in a big city.

80sBaby

• +32/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2014, 12:02:36 PM »

Funny, I live in Atlanta and see this happen all the time, especially at clubs/lounges in the parking lot (aka Parking Lot Pimpin') or the mall. Normally it's things like "Hey, Miss Lady!" "Where you going guhl?" Or "Hey sexy black/red!"

And when we had Freaknik going on, oh boy!