Herochat

We shoudt imprison women. For anything

Panthergod

• +49/-87
    • View Profile
We shoudt imprison women. For anything
« on: November 06, 2014, 10:16:59 PM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2014/11/06/we-should-stop-putting-women-in-jail-for-anything/

Wow. Just.. wow.

Question: how long will t take the average sane heterosexual man to realize how much modern feminists despise and seek to enslave him?

ProjectCornDog

• +17/-14
    • View Profile
Re: We shoudt imprison women. For anything
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 10:39:43 PM »
I hate feminists

AP

• +135/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 10:51:20 PM »
First of all, holy crap at this:
in the United States, where the rate of women’s incarceration has risen by 646 percent in the past 30 years?

Secondly, it is true that the prison system is messed up in the US and needs an overhaul and should focus more on rehabilitation, at least for non-violent crimes.  At this point, though, it's a social issue and not a feminist one.

Third, the article title is misleading.  No one mentioned we shouldn't be imprisoning women for anything.  The focus on these studies is mentioned several times to be about non-violent crimes and seems to focus on addictions.  Again, man or woman, I think people need to be treated for their addictions and not incarcerated.  It's a social issue and not a feminist one.

That said, the author thinking that women's prisons can be eradicated completely is stupid.

Rufio

• +5/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 12:27:50 AM »
 I think imprisoning women can be fun and rewarding for both participants, as long as you remember to keep a safe word.

Jabroniville

• +5/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 03:14:51 AM »
The focus on these studies is mentioned several times to be about non-violent crimes and seems to focus on addictions.  Again, man or woman, I think people need to be treated for their addictions and not incarcerated.  It's a social issue and not a feminist one.
I wonder what the felonies related to addiction are- alcohol-induced fights, drug possession, stealing or prostitution to feed the habits? I can see the point, though "treatment" for addictions is generally ineffective and rarely permanent. I don't like the idea of letting people get off with actual crimes because "oh they have an addiction" and treating it like it's a disease (it is NOT) that they have no control over- people should be held 100% accountable for the shit they do while high or drunk.

HOWEVER, I think the prison overpopulation thing is getting out of hand in the states- it's turned into way too much of an industry that just piles and piles people into the jails to get cheap labor and all of that junk (sounds like a conspiracy theory, but in real life, the conspiracies are actually plain as day and pretty much admitted as such). Too many things that aren't really serious are being treated as multi-year-sentenced crimes. This article is dumb because this issue should be universal for EVERYONE, not just women because of some imagined reason that they're more innocent, or because they have children. That's just flat-out sexism.

Necro

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 04:03:29 AM »
What you -should- stop doing is imprisoning people for things like weed.

Even better, you should stop private prisons, and put it back into the states hands.

Sarcastic Cat

• +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 11:34:37 AM »
this isn't an article that should be taken seriously.

There is obviously a problem with the prison system as it is, often influenced by other unjust societal factors (wage inequality etc.). I'm all in favor better rehabilitation for people and fixing some unjust policies and procedures (easier said than done).  But this is just an unrealistic idea and one no one should take seriously. Reads like a paper someone had to write in highschool that the author doesn't truly believe himself/herself.