Herochat

Late Show w/ Stephen Colbert

Master

• +42/-24
  • When is a raven a writing desk?
    • View Profile
Late Show w/ Stephen Colbert
« on: September 09, 2015, 06:41:13 AM »
I watched up through the end of the Clooney interview, but it was pretty good stuff. I like how his opening monologue is from his desk... reserving some of his style from the Colbert Show. If it ain't broken, don't fix it.
9 outta 10 Masters are Master.

Thanos6

• +19/-17
    • View Profile
Re: Late Show w/ Stephen Colbert
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 06:48:58 AM »
The Oreo/Trump thing was genius.
Truten forever!

Master

• +42/-24
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 06:53:52 AM »
The Oreo/Trump thing was genius.

Yeah, that had me laughing. HARD.

Von Doom

• +3/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 08:04:09 AM »
I loved how Jeb said something about giving the Middle Class their first raise in 15 years, which of course includes his brother's presidency.

I do wish Colbert would actually let his guests answer the questions he asks. I always figured he did that on his CC show as part of his character, but he was kind of still doing that.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 08:08:50 AM by Von Doom »

Dutchman

• +1/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 04:42:44 PM »
I loved how Jeb said something about giving the Middle Class their first raise in 15 years, which of course includes his brother's presidency.

I do wish Colbert would actually let his guests answer the questions he asks. I always figured he did that on his CC show as part of his character, but he was kind of still doing that.
Granted, still probably trying to find his groove

I'll catch up on the rerun (here) tomorrow

Necro

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 08:34:01 AM »

Funny thing is Jeb's Tax breaks would, once again, benefit the rich ones.
They are scaled in a way that the rich ones get a shitton of money out of them, not so much the middle and even worse for the lower class.

So, typical Republican bullshit, trying to pull wool over people eyes if they don't care to investigate.

altoon

• +9/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2015, 10:23:40 AM »

Yeah i watched the part where he interview ScarJo and she had to actually tell him to shut up and let her answer his question. It could have been nerves though.

Necro

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2015, 11:41:29 AM »

Master

• +42/-24
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2015, 11:42:12 AM »

Yeah i watched the part where he interview ScarJo and she had to actually tell him to shut up and let her answer his question. It could have been nerves though.

She seemed uncomfortable for a good chunk of the interview. His interview style is to just free flow based on reactions of the person across the table. Scarlet obviously is more used to a structured interview where she gets to share a funny story and then discuss her latest project.

Master

• +42/-24
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2015, 11:50:04 AM »
To be honest though, I rarely tune in for the interviews because most celebs that come to late shows are do shitty, boring interviews. Leno, Conan, Dave, the two Jimmys... interviews generally suck. Maybe 15% of interviews are actually funny or engaging.

I usually watch late shows for the opening monologue and any skits they do. For Colbert, I was watching these interviews out of curiosity... maybe his style would crack the code and make interviews of this variety entertaining. So far... he's average.

His old show had better interviews because he was playing a character, and people expected to be heckled a bit in good fun.

Not BAMF

• +21/-13
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2015, 12:02:38 PM »
To be honest though, I rarely tune in for the interviews because most celebs that come to late shows are do shitty, boring interviews. Leno, Conan, Dave, the two Jimmys... interviews generally suck. Maybe 15% of interviews are actually funny or engaging.

I usually watch late shows for the opening monologue and any skits they do. For Colbert, I was watching these interviews out of curiosity... maybe his style would crack the code and make interviews of this variety entertaining. So far... he's average.

His old show had better interviews because he was playing a character, and people expected to be heckled a bit in good fun.

I told my wife that the very best part of John Oliver's show is that there are no interviews. Does ANYONE enjoy the interview segments on talk shows? It is consistently the worst part, IMO.
https://gotstratosphere.com/2018/10/16/show-10-16-18-zach-asks/ (We try out a new challenge to see who can solve some comics scenarios! After that, our rookie fan asks his most recent comic questions)

Master

• +42/-24
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2015, 01:57:36 PM »

I told my wife that the very best part of John Oliver's show is that there are no interviews. Does ANYONE enjoy the interview segments on talk shows? It is consistently the worst part, IMO.

Excellent point about Oliver's show. There is no interview lag.

Granted, news-type shows can have decent interviews because people are trying to discuss the merits of social and political and scientific topics.

Variety show interviews are generally fluff, marketing, and/or personal stories. Which is why they almost always not fun to watch. I mean, if the person being interviewed is your favorite celeb ever, you might watch even if the interview is bad. But generally, I don't care about the personal lives of 95% of the celebrities out there... and I could care less for the scripted personal stories they come up with for interviews on Variety shows.

Clownprince23

• +2/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2015, 04:09:18 PM »
I always enjoyed Craig Ferguson's interviews. They felt more like conversations with people and more genuine.

scourge

• +37/-10
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2015, 05:24:31 PM »
The Biden interview was solid. I really have been enjoying everything about his show. He's the late night host for me.

Thanos6

• +19/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2015, 05:25:09 PM »

Not me.  I generally stop watching after the monologue and comedy bits.
Truten forever!