Herochat

Gotham

MTL76

• +1138/-119
  • Knives in the senate house?
    • View Profile
Gotham
« on: October 05, 2014, 07:04:14 PM »
Any of you watching it? Decent cast, I'm a big Donal Logue fan. But I think it's going to be a standard crime show. I am trying to get over my disappointment at this lost opportunity to make a Gotham Central series and instead set the show in the pre-Batman days, when Gotham was more boring.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

Whiskeyclone

• +9/-1
    • View Profile
Re: Gotham
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 07:25:23 PM »
Yeah, 'salright. I've watched it so far, but can just as easily see myself not watching it with any consistency a few weeks down the line.

Dutchman

• +1/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 07:26:33 PM »
Donal is brilliant, but this show's first two eps were both the first ep. And if the mystery of the murder of the Waynes is going to be a driving force, then this series isn't going anywhere.

I'll sit this season out because I watched Arrow for a full season before writing it off (don't kid yourself. Arrow season 1 is shit.) but I'm hot hopeful.

Clownprince23

• +2/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 09:22:53 PM »
I think the show would be much better if it was set in post Batman rather then pre Batman.

AP

• +132/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 09:45:42 PM »
It will run into the Smallville problem where you'll have several villains and heroes in operation before the main hero is a hero.  At least with Smallville, Clark was around.  He just wasn't called Superman yet.  Here, Bats won't even be in it.

Still say a Batman origin TV series, or just a plain Batman TV show, would've been the tits.

therock

• +56/-65
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 10:04:21 PM »
it pretty  good so far

Some of the lines cheesy

But really like harvey and Bullock interactions

issue9mm

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2014, 11:22:51 PM »
Any of you watching it? Decent cast, I'm a big Donal Logue fan. But I think it's going to be a standard crime show. I am trying to get over my disappointment at this lost opportunity to make a Gotham Central series and instead set the show in the pre-Batman days, when Gotham was more boring.

Oddly, I wish it would go further into 'standard crime' show.  I've wanted a "Sam & Twitch" style TV show since Sam & Twitch was written.  I could give two shits whether or not Spawn ever makes an appearance. 

With Gotham, I'd much rather see a series that works to connect the plot lines of Gotham's corruption.  I'm okay if it's setting up the pins for DC movies to knock down (ala SHIELD), but I'd much prefer they focus on a story they can actually tell than try to spend too much time making sure that Catwoman gets her individual plot advanced each episode, or if we're kept up to date with the Penguin.

Overall though, I was very unimpressed with Ep 1, but moderately enjoyed episode 2.  I'll follow it until I forget about it.

Prime

• I'm in there like swimwear...
  • +5/-24
  • Av/Sig:Bria Myles
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 03:09:28 AM »
Donal is brilliant, but this show's first two eps were both the first ep. And if the mystery of the murder of the Waynes is going to be a driving force, then this series isn't going anywhere.

I'll sit this season out because I watched Arrow for a full season before writing it off (don't kid yourself. Arrow season 1 is shit.) but I'm hot hopeful.

Season 2 is really good.

Dutchman

• +1/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2014, 05:31:39 AM »
Okay the third ep picked up some steam, with loony people starting to pop up. I just hope they'll come up with better names than Balloon Man. Or if they're going to use silly names first, have them use Batman's silly cast of criminals. I mean imagine the headlines calling someone Crazy Quilt Man, the nerds would explode, right.

I really don't like following the slasher adventures of Penguin. It's like, dude can't keep it in his pants.

I don't buy Barbara as a character. Also THAT DAMN FLAT IS HUGE. It's like a fucking PALACE.
But making her bisexual at least gives Renee a reason to ogle that ass, because before it seemed like she was a horndog lesbian who just looks at any totty that walks into the fucking room.

And the scenes with Bruce are completely irellevant to the plot. They're fluff. And not needed. It's just there to have the show go THIS KID IS GOING TO BE BATMAN
WE'RE NEARLY BATMAN
WE'RE LIKE, BATMAN-PRE-BATMAN SHOW

NeoGreenLantern

• +99/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2014, 07:42:01 PM »
Did it get better than the first episode or it still just this

Dutchman

• +1/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2014, 08:00:45 PM »
I hate you just used a Penny Arcade strip, but yes, it did move from that.

The only person they keep the spotlight on is PENGUIN SLASHER VILLAIN.

Third ep is a decent ep with a vigilante psycho who uses balloons to kill people.

Skip ep 2.

issue9mm

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2014, 08:26:02 PM »
And the scenes with Bruce are completely irellevant to the plot. They're fluff. And not needed. It's just there to have the show go THIS KID IS GOING TO BE BATMAN
WE'RE NEARLY BATMAN
WE'RE LIKE, BATMAN-PRE-BATMAN SHOW

Quoted for truth.

I hate you just used a Penny Arcade strip,

Quoted for WTF?

Astro

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2014, 01:58:52 AM »
It's the best live action comic book related TV show I've ever seen (Walking Dead, Arrow, Smallville, Agents of Shield, Constantine, Flash, Birds of Prey).

It's really just okay.

Dutchman

• +1/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2014, 05:27:54 AM »

I hate you just used a Penny Arcade strip,

Quoted for WTF?
I'm a hipster. I don't like Penny Arcade.

NeoGreenLantern

• +99/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2014, 07:19:51 AM »
It's the best live action comic book related TV show I've ever seen (Walking Dead, Arrow, Smallville, Agents of Shield, Constantine, Flash, Birds of Prey).

It's really just okay.

Really? I was thuroughly unimpressed by the 1st episode. Jada sucked, they kept hammering everyone down the the references, there was some seriously weirdly disjointed camera work, fucking cockney Alfred, actors were chewing up the scenery left and right, etc, etc. I was half expecting Jada to say to the comedian, "I love ya kid! You're a reeeeeeeeeeaaaaaal, Joker!" and wink at the camera.