Herochat

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note that forum is still under construction.

heroes
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Is Spider-Man beating Firelord canon?  (Read 4915 times)

The Shuruku Demon

• King
    • View Profile
Re: Is Spider-Man beating Firelord canon?
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2015, 06:19:57 PM »

It was written by Tom Defalco and he was very clear in the issue that Spider-Man got a lucky win and Firelord would typically be a tough fight for the Avengers.

The same Tom Defalco wrote the Silver Surfer busting a "planet" that Korvac created around him, Hyperion pushing Wonder Man through a small planet's core, and Thor containing a bomb that would've destroyed 1/5 of the universe. Except for Thor, none of the above struggled with these feats. I think the more likely explanation is that Defalco likes to give top tiers their space cheese.

In this particular case, I think he was deliberately showcasing Firelord's power to make it clear why Spider-Man beating him was a big deal. We take it for granted that everyone on forums like this knows who Firelord is, but back in the mid '80s, I'm sure there were alot of Spidey readers who knew little or nothing about the character before he appeared in that title (it was the first Firelord appearance I personally read). So it makes sense that DeFalco would want to establish what he was capable of early on.

The alternate explanation is that Firelord feared that colliding with a small asteroid would kill him. I don't think that fits with Defalco's body of work--he even had Iron Man crushing a mountain that Terrax hoisted.

But Iron Man flew into it, rather than it flying into him (meaning he had some control over the strength of the impact). And it still pretty much totalled his armour. Also, Firelord was stunned by inadvertently flying through an abandoned tenement, and ultimately KOed by a ten tonner, so it's not like his durability was obviously insanely high in this story.

One of the things I most strongly associate with DeFalco is his apparent love and respect for the Stan Lee era of Marvel Comics, and the extent to which that is reflected in his writing style. With that in mind, he'd almost certainly read the old Silver Surfer issue in which Spider-Man appeared. And in that issue, a couple of room-sized meteors appeared to present a very real danger to the Surfer. Even a fragment of one of them flying at him after he destroyed them was enough to knock him out cold. I'd be surprised if this story wasn't an influence on DeFalco's to some extent, considering the obvious parallels.

Also in regards to the art, it would be hard to show a planetoid-sized meteor flying toward a normal sized guy.

I agree, but Frenz could've made it look alot bigger than it did by a simple shift in perspective, putting Firelord in the foreground, with the meteor travelling toward the reader, rather than the other way around.

In any case, I allow some margin for error with these things. I could buy that this object was perhaps as large as a mountain. But I can't comfortably buy that it was anywhere near as big as the Earth or the Moon, say, because that requires too far a deviation from what actually appeared on the page.

It's not like it needs to be as large as the Earth or the Moon for the feat to be impressive and meaningful, regardless. In Spider-Man, we're talking about a character who was used to going up against the likes of Doctor Octopus and Hobgoblin. Compared to that, Firelord looks like a monster even if the rock he blew up was only the size of a house.

As regards Spidey vs. Firelord. While I initially thought the idea of it was nonsensical. Now that I have discovered Firelord was only in the 50-ton bracket (as opposed to a peer of Surfer himself) I'm actually okay with it.

That was his official ranking at the time, in a bio published just a couple of years before the story. One could debate whether it's an accurate ranking, but regardless, it's very possible that it was an influence on how the writer chose to portray the match-up.

In the Avengers issue which followed up on this story, the Black Knight was shown thinking to himself that it was incredible that Spider-Man could beat Firelord even if he was only half as powerful as the Surfer. Perhaps that shouldn't be taken literally, but it seemed to me like the writer (Roger Stern, in this case) was trying to allow for the possibility that Firelord and the Surfer were not truly on the same level.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 08:13:46 PM by The Shuruku Demon »

Upper_Krust

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2015, 04:44:30 PM »

As regards Spidey vs. Firelord. While I initially thought the idea of it was nonsensical. Now that I have discovered Firelord was only in the 50-ton bracket (as opposed to a peer of Surfer himself) I'm actually okay with it.

That was his official ranking at the time, in a bio published just a couple of years before the story. One could debate whether it's an accurate ranking, but regardless, it's very possible that it was an influence on how the writer chose to portray the match-up.

In the Avengers issue which followed up on this story, the Black Knight was shown thinking to himself that it was incredible that Spider-Man could beat Firelord even if he was only half as powerful as the Surfer. Perhaps that shouldn't be taken literally, but it seemed to me like the writer (Roger Stern, in this case) was trying to allow for the possibility that Firelord and the Surfer were not truly on the same level.

I always thought the heralds were all in the same 'ball-park' with Surfer and Morg maybe a shade ahead, but the 50-ton Firelord thing was new to me.

Spidey < Luke Cage < Firelord

So to me its only a two tier difference.

I agree about the literal context of the 'half as powerful as Surfer'. That seems to be what's happened. Then they have taken the flawed Marvel strength charts and just halved Surfer's tonnage.

Given that Surfer's power is easily Multi-Megaton range, half of that would still be in the megaton range. Of course that is a discussion for another time on the merits of feat scale vs. fight scale.
You address Omnipotence...tread carefully.

The Shuruku Demon

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2015, 08:04:50 PM »

The Heralds were always ranked differently in the Handbooks. Frankie Raye Nova at 40 tons, Firelord at 50, and Terrax at 75. Air-Walker wasn't given a figure, but it was said that he could match the Thing's strength, which was listed at 85 tons level. Surfer wasn't given a figure either, but it was said that he could increase his strength to rival the Hulk's, who was given a base level of 90 tons, increasing from there with no established upper limit. Morg's first strength ranking came in the Master Edition, where it was listed at Incalculable (defined as the ability to lift in excess of 100 tons).

All this said, the Handbooks are far from 100% reliable, and some characters have had wildly different rankings in different editions. One of the most glaring errors is Doctor Doom, who was listed at a mere 2 tons level, but has been show to rival Iron Man in strength. Even Iron Man himself was listed at a mere 11 tons in the original volume, that figure being bumped up to 70-90 tons in later editions. Tony stated in one comic that his armour was capable of lifting 85 tons.

Upper_Krust

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2015, 09:17:56 PM »

The Heralds were always ranked differently in the Handbooks. Frankie Raye Nova at 40 tons, Firelord at 50, and Terrax at 75. Air-Walker wasn't given a figure, but it was said that he could match the Thing's strength, which was listed at 85 tons level. Surfer wasn't given a figure either, but it was said that he could increase his strength to rival the Hulk's, who was given a base level of 90 tons, increasing from there with no established upper limit. Morg's first strength ranking came in the Master Edition, where it was listed at Incalculable (defined as the ability to lift in excess of 100 tons).

All this said, the Handbooks are far from 100% reliable, and some characters have had wildly different rankings in different editions. One of the most glaring errors is Doctor Doom, who was listed at a mere 2 tons level, but has been show to rival Iron Man in strength. Even Iron Man himself was listed at a mere 11 tons in the original volume, that figure being bumped up to 70-90 tons in later editions. Tony stated in one comic that his armour was capable of lifting 85 tons.

I thought that figure for Doom looked suspiciously weak. There is no reason why Doom's armour would ever be inferior to Iron Man's. It makes sense that they would be roughly the same.

I wonder does Doom have his own Hulkbuster Armour?  ;D
You address Omnipotence...tread carefully.

Rufio

• Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2015, 03:54:15 AM »

In this particular case, I think he was deliberately showcasing Firelord's power to make it clear why Spider-Man beating him was a big deal. We take it for granted that everyone on forums like this knows who Firelord is, but back in the mid '80s, I'm sure there were alot of Spidey readers who knew little or nothing about the character before he appeared in that title (it was the first Firelord appearance I personally read). So it makes sense that DeFalco would want to establish what he was capable of early on.

I agree with that. I don't really think it alters my point that Defalco liked to write top tiers doing big feats in space. Unless you don't think he considered Firelord a top tier, it seems logical to take Defalco's general pattern and assume that it applies here.

But Iron Man flew into it, rather than it flying into him (meaning he had some control over the strength of the impact). And it still pretty much totalled his armour. Also, Firelord was stunned by inadvertently flying through an abandoned tenement, and ultimately KOed by a ten tonner, so it's not like his durability was obviously insanely high in this story.

Defalco also wrote Spider-Man's speedblitz almost KOing Thor and stunning The Silver Surfer, even though Surfer was cushioned from the blows by the Carnage symbiote. This is despite the fact that Defalco wrote The Silver Surfer no-selling a fireball from Korvac that was compared to a star, IIRC. He also wrote Wonder Man's punches shaking an asteroid the size of a small planet and getting pushed through the planetoid by Hyperion. Do you think Defalco placed Wonder Man above Thor and Firelord?

As far as being stunned by the tenement, that's also consistent with Defalco's writing in my view. When Thor was on earth, Defalco wrote Thor struggling to hold up a building. When Thor was in space, Defalco wrote Thor containing a bomb that could destroy 1/5 of the universe.

IMO, this is a writer who generally gives all top tiers big feats when they're in space but tones them down when they're on Earth so that the environment can give them problems.

One of the things I most strongly associate with DeFalco is his apparent love and respect for the Stan Lee era of Marvel Comics, and the extent to which that is reflected in his writing style. With that in mind, he'd almost certainly read the old Silver Surfer issue in which Spider-Man appeared. And in that issue, a couple of room-sized meteors appeared to present a very real danger to the Surfer. Even a fragment of one of them flying at him after he destroyed them was enough to knock him out cold. I'd be surprised if this story wasn't an influence on DeFalco's to some extent, considering the obvious parallels.

To be honest, I never saw the stories as being that similar. But I suppose it fits.

I don't think this explanation works for the simple reason that the same writer had Masterson Thor in danger of a KO from Spider-Man's speedblitz when he didn't appear to be attacking Thor with anything close to the desperation and ferocity he attacked Firelord with. Similarly, Defalco wrote Spider-Man sending Carnage-Surfer to the floor with a quick blitz. If the scene really depended on Firelord being a 50-tonner, he's a 50-tonner who doesn't look worse than these 100-tonners by comparison.

The handbook ranking really had no history to support it, either. Firelord had already done just fine trading punches with Hercules and grappling with Thor several times. He'd also been surprise blasted by Havok and shrugged it off easily. Going into the Spider-Man fight, Firelord's track record for strength and durability was arguably more consistent than Surfer's. I'll grant that the Roger Stern follow-up seemed to downplay Firelord, especially with his reaction after Hercules' sucker punch, although part of that could be attributed to having just woken up.

Personally, I find it implausible that Tom Defalco would write Spider-Man running for his life from a 50-tonner, acknowledging how hopeless the fight is for him, and essentially winning due to luck. If Defalco decided to give Spider-Man a win over Iron Man, I doubt that it would be written as this spectacle of being hopelessly outmatched. The writer was explicit that Spider-Man beating Firelord was the equivalent of being struck by lightning, winning the lottery, or surviving glioblastoma or a bite from a Black Mamba.

The Shuruku Demon

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2015, 02:23:16 PM »

I agree with that. I don't really think it alters my point that Defalco liked to write top tiers doing big feats in space. Unless you don't think he considered Firelord a top tier, it seems logical to take Defalco's general pattern and assume that it applies here.

Wasn't disagreeing with what you said, just adding to it.

Defalco also wrote Spider-Man's speedblitz almost KOing Thor and stunning The Silver Surfer, even though Surfer was cushioned from the blows by the Carnage symbiote. This is despite the fact that Defalco wrote The Silver Surfer no-selling a fireball from Korvac that was compared to a star, IIRC. He also wrote Wonder Man's punches shaking an asteroid the size of a small planet and getting pushed through the planetoid by Hyperion. Do you think Defalco placed Wonder Man above Thor and Firelord?

As far as being stunned by the tenement, that's also consistent with Defalco's writing in my view. When Thor was on earth, Defalco wrote Thor struggling to hold up a building. When Thor was in space, Defalco wrote Thor containing a bomb that could destroy 1/5 of the universe.

IMO, this is a writer who generally gives all top tiers big feats when they're in space but tones them down when they're on Earth so that the environment can give them problems.

I'd assume that Firelord (under DeFalco, or anyone else) is supposed to be equally tough/strong on Earth as he is in space. But characters often perform differently based on what they're up against at the time. If Spidey needed to KO a top-tier under DeFalco, he conceivably could. But he could also hurt his hand punching the Puma, and have a barn burner of a fight with the Hobgoblin under the same writer.

Likewise, I think the Surfer could probably withstand the heat of a star under DeFalco, yet could still conceivably be injured by the impact of a meteor shooting along at incredible speeds. Spider-Man has no business KOing a being who could just tank something like that. Aunt May Mode Spider-Man could pummel the ground for ten days straight, and not come close to reproducing the damage of a major meteor strike.

To be honest, I never saw the stories as being that similar. But I suppose it fits.

The two stories as a whole aren't that similar, but the opening scenes are. I'd be very surprised if DeFalco didn't have the Surfer issue in mind to some extent. He regularly payed homage to stories from that era, and this was the only precedent for how Spidey might fare against a Herald prior to his tale. There's also a panel in ASM #270 that strongly resembles a panel from SS #14 in composition, although that may have been solely down to Ron Frenz.

I don't think this explanation works for the simple reason that the same writer had Masterson Thor in danger of a KO from Spider-Man's speedblitz when he didn't appear to be attacking Thor with anything close to the desperation and ferocity he attacked Firelord with. Similarly, Defalco wrote Spider-Man sending Carnage-Surfer to the floor with a quick blitz. If the scene really depended on Firelord being a 50-tonner, he's a 50-tonner who doesn't look worse than these 100-tonners by comparison.

DeFalco and Stern don't have to be entirely on the same page in that respect. I don't know if either one literally viewed Firelord as a 50 tonner at the time, but the Handbook did seem to influence some later stories. In AVENGERS #252 (authored by Stern), it was stated that Doc Samson's power level was 70% of the Hulk's. Seems likely that this was based in part or in whole on Samson's 70 ton strength listing in the original Handbook. In AVENGERS annual #13 (also authored by Stern), Captain America stated that the psuedo-Hulks were about 80% as strong as the real Hulk, which made them nearly 200 times stronger than him. 80 tons divided by 200 equals 800 pounds, Cap's OHOTMU stat.

The handbook ranking really had no history to support it, either. Firelord had already done just fine trading punches with Hercules and grappling with Thor several times. He'd also been surprise blasted by Havok and shrugged it off easily. Going into the Spider-Man fight, Firelord's track record for strength and durability was arguably more consistent than Surfer's. I'll grant that the Roger Stern follow-up seemed to downplay Firelord, especially with his reaction after Hercules' sucker punch, although part of that could be attributed to having just woken up.

Personally, I find it implausible that Tom Defalco would write Spider-Man running for his life from a 50-tonner, acknowledging how hopeless the fight is for him, and essentially winning due to luck. If Defalco decided to give Spider-Man a win over Iron Man, I doubt that it would be written as this spectacle of being hopelessly outmatched. The writer was explicit that Spider-Man beating Firelord was the equivalent of being struck by lightning, winning the lottery, or surviving glioblastoma or a bite from a Black Mamba.

I'm not saying the OHOMTU figure was right, just that it may been an influence on the story. As I said before, characters tend to vary depending on what they're up against at the time. So sure, DeFalco's Spidey later proved he could hurt and floor 100 tonners, but it doesn't follow that a 50 tonner couldn't possibly have had him on the run, especially if that character was basically a cosmic version of the Human Torch. It's not like Firelord offered to put 'em up and go HtH, Marquess of Queensberry rules.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 03:12:28 PM by The Shuruku Demon »

Rufio

• Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2015, 02:36:51 AM »

DeFalco and Stern don't have to be entirely on the same page in that respect. I don't know if either one literally viewed Firelord as a 50 tonner at the time, but the Handbook did seem to influence some later stories. In AVENGERS #252 (authored by Stern), it was stated that Doc Samson's power level was 70% of the Hulk's. Seems likely that this was based in part or in whole on Samson's 70 ton strength listing in the original Handbook. In AVENGERS annual #13 (also authored by Stern), Captain America stated that the psuedo-Hulks were about 80% as strong as the real Hulk, which made them nearly 200 times stronger than him. 80 tons divided by 200 equals 800 pounds, Cap's OHOTMU stat.

Fair enough, maybe it had more of an influence on Stern.

The only writer who I think made Firelord weaker than other Heralds is Ron Marz. His Firelord looked significantly weaker than Terrax and much weaker than Morg. Oddly, he had Firelord flash KO The Silver Surfer with two attacks. Surfer woke up and put Firelord down more definitively, but he still looked more powerful in that issue than in his other Marz appearances.

I'm not saying the OHOMTU figure was right, just that it may been an influence on the story. As I said before, characters tend to vary depending on what they're up against at the time. So sure, DeFalco's Spidey later proved he could hurt and floor  100 tonners, but it doesn't follow that a 50 tonner couldn't possibly have had him on the run, especially if that character was basically a cosmic version of the Human Torch. It's not like Firelord offered to put 'em up and go HtH, Marquess of Queensberry rules.

But at the time the story was written, Firelord had an established and consistent power level. In his first appearance he fought Hercules, then Hercules and Thor at the same time. In his next appearances, he had an even skirmish with Loki and 3 more even fights with Thor. He also crushed The X-Men, even shrugging off a joint attack from Havok and Polaris. He was proven to be less powerful than Phoenix Jean Grey, but he bounced back from all of her attacks and was ready to keep fighting when she left. Unlike Terrax, Firelord had not yet been established as less powerful than Surfer. Thor had even said Firelord was the "undisputed master" of the Power Cosmic and admitted he couldn't beat Firelord because they were so evenly matched.

I'm not saying someone like Iron Man couldn't have Spider-Man on the run, but I don't think the situation would be built up as such a hopeless mismatch. Defalco's purpose in writing the story seemed to be: "Hey reader, you know all those times Spider-Man did okay for awhile against a top tier threat? He wasn't just delaying the inevitable. Believe it or not, he really has a chance of winning if his opponent isn't careful." When the letters column addressed the story, one of the readers said this (more or less).

I think most people don't appreciate the lengths Defalco went took to establish that he was writing an unlikely result. This wasn't Deathstroke or Batman vs the JLA, or Black Panther vs Silver Surfer, or Spider-Man + cement truck vs The Hulk. The writer couldn't have been clearer that Spider-Man would usually need someone to save him from Firelord.

The Shuruku Demon

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2015, 02:01:48 PM »

I think Firelord would still be a scarier opponent than Iron Man even as a 50 tonner. He blew up a meteor which may or may not have been as large as a small planet, and indicated that he was capable of obliterating NYC with one blast. That's a level of damage output way beyond anything Tony is capable of. Also, Tony would try to bring Peter down with non-lethal methods, whereas Firelord didn't seem to have any reservations about turning him into cinders.

And then there's the whole "Herald" tag -- as soon as Spidey discovered he was a former Herald of Galactus, that in itself seemed to change how he viewed Firelord, who he was not showing much respect to beforehand.

It's entirely possible that DeFalco intended Firelord to be closer to the 75 or even 100 ton mark. But there's really no way to know that from what was written. Also, while I personally would've gone with a figure of 75 tons at least based on Firelord's prior appearances, someone at Marvel decided to give him a lower figure, which shows it's possible to come to a different conclusion, even if you and I don't agree with that conclusion.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 02:04:51 PM by The Shuruku Demon »

Rufio

• Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2015, 01:34:02 PM »

I think Firelord would still be a scarier opponent than Iron Man even as a 50 tonner. He blew up a meteor which may or may not have been as large as a small planet, and indicated that he was capable of obliterating NYC with one blast. That's a level of damage output way beyond anything Tony is capable of. Also, Tony would try to bring Peter down with non-lethal methods, whereas Firelord didn't seem to have any reservations about turning him into cinders.

And then there's the whole "Herald" tag -- as soon as Spidey discovered he was a former Herald of Galactus, that in itself seemed to change how he viewed Firelord, who he was not showing much respect to beforehand.

It's entirely possible that DeFalco intended Firelord to be closer to the 75 or even 100 ton mark. But there's really no way to know that from what was written. Also, while I personally would've gone with a figure of 75 tons at least based on Firelord's prior appearances, someone at Marvel decided to give him a lower figure, which shows it's possible to come to a different conclusion, even if you and I don't agree with that conclusion.

I'm curious - do you really think Firelord looked weaker than The Thing in his fight with Hercules and his 4 fights with Thor that occurred before the Spider-Man fight?

IMO if you read those fights, it isn't that clear cut that he's weaker than Thor or Hercules at all, much less below Wonder Man, much less below The Thing.

There's a moment in his final fight with Thor where Thor says that his strength is being sapped by Firelord's flame. Before Thor says this, they were grappling evenly. After Thor says this, Firelord starts overpowering Thor and places him in a chokehold.

If his strength were Thing level or below, I'd expect him to be overpowered by Thor until the flames sapped Thor's strength. I wouldn't expect it to even when Thor wasn't complaining about the flames, then switch to Firelord out grappling Thor when Thor started weakening. But that's what happened.

Firelord does have some lower strength showings, but to my knowledge they all occurred after the Spider-Man fight.

The Shuruku Demon

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2015, 04:09:21 PM »

I wouldn't say Firelord looked obviously weaker than the Thing in his prior showings, no. I threw the 75 ton mark out there as a minimum estimate, based on the early showings. I could see him as high as low Class 100, based on the same showings.

ProjectCornDog

• Stonemason
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2017, 10:58:01 PM »

Spider-Man > Firelord

Memories.

riv6672

• Lizardman
  • MAY 2000-MAY 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2017, 05:03:56 AM »

This one caught my eye cuz i just asked at KMC if this Spidey feat was better than Cannonball's Gladiator feat.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f77/t641219.html

Looks like this one's the better feat.

Dlbiininja

• Stonemason
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2017, 08:42:56 PM »

Spider-Man > Firelord

Memories.

Let me guess!  Couldn't find anything from the '99 wizard boards. 

And yes this was a good fight.  Even impressed Herc.  Who the. Cussed Firelord out.

ProjectCornDog

• Stonemason
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2017, 12:33:12 AM »

This one caught my eye cuz i just asked at KMC if this Spidey feat was better than Cannonball's Gladiator feat.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f77/t641219.html

Looks like this one's the better feat.

I'd say so yes, and as mentioned earlier in this thread this fight was mentioned many years later more than once.

riv6672

• Lizardman
  • MAY 2000-MAY 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2017, 01:21:21 PM »

Oh yeah its for sure canon. Spidey's fighting out if his weight class is part of the character.
Sometimes it works out, sometimes he gets his ass kicked, but he never quits.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]