Herochat

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note that forum is still under construction.

heroes
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Is Spider-Man beating Firelord canon?  (Read 5108 times)

Rufio

• Buddy Love
    • View Profile
Re: Is Spider-Man beating Firelord canon?
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2015, 09:34:02 AM »

I think Firelord would still be a scarier opponent than Iron Man even as a 50 tonner. He blew up a meteor which may or may not have been as large as a small planet, and indicated that he was capable of obliterating NYC with one blast. That's a level of damage output way beyond anything Tony is capable of. Also, Tony would try to bring Peter down with non-lethal methods, whereas Firelord didn't seem to have any reservations about turning him into cinders.

And then there's the whole "Herald" tag -- as soon as Spidey discovered he was a former Herald of Galactus, that in itself seemed to change how he viewed Firelord, who he was not showing much respect to beforehand.

It's entirely possible that DeFalco intended Firelord to be closer to the 75 or even 100 ton mark. But there's really no way to know that from what was written. Also, while I personally would've gone with a figure of 75 tons at least based on Firelord's prior appearances, someone at Marvel decided to give him a lower figure, which shows it's possible to come to a different conclusion, even if you and I don't agree with that conclusion.

I'm curious - do you really think Firelord looked weaker than The Thing in his fight with Hercules and his 4 fights with Thor that occurred before the Spider-Man fight?

IMO if you read those fights, it isn't that clear cut that he's weaker than Thor or Hercules at all, much less below Wonder Man, much less below The Thing.

There's a moment in his final fight with Thor where Thor says that his strength is being sapped by Firelord's flame. Before Thor says this, they were grappling evenly. After Thor says this, Firelord starts overpowering Thor and places him in a chokehold.

If his strength were Thing level or below, I'd expect him to be overpowered by Thor until the flames sapped Thor's strength. I wouldn't expect it to even when Thor wasn't complaining about the flames, then switch to Firelord out grappling Thor when Thor started weakening. But that's what happened.

Firelord does have some lower strength showings, but to my knowledge they all occurred after the Spider-Man fight.

The Shuruku Demon

• Axel Foley
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2015, 12:09:21 PM »

I wouldn't say Firelord looked obviously weaker than the Thing in his prior showings, no. I threw the 75 ton mark out there as a minimum estimate, based on the early showings. I could see him as high as low Class 100, based on the same showings.

ProjectCornDog

• Pluto Nash
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2017, 06:58:01 PM »

Spider-Man > Firelord

Memories.

Dlbiininja

• Norbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2017, 04:42:56 PM »

Spider-Man > Firelord

Memories.

Let me guess!  Couldn't find anything from the '99 wizard boards. 

And yes this was a good fight.  Even impressed Herc.  Who the. Cussed Firelord out.

ProjectCornDog

• Pluto Nash
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2017, 08:33:12 PM »

This one caught my eye cuz i just asked at KMC if this Spidey feat was better than Cannonball's Gladiator feat.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f77/t641219.html

Looks like this one's the better feat.

I'd say so yes, and as mentioned earlier in this thread this fight was mentioned many years later more than once.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]