Herochat

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note that forum is still under construction.

heroes
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Is Spider-Man beating Firelord canon?  (Read 4969 times)

g-train

• Lizardman
    • View Profile
Re: Is Spider-Man beating Firelord canon?
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2015, 05:30:34 PM »

Why do you capitalize random words?

He's a 90's kid.

Dutchman

• Administrator
  • Crisis Actor
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2015, 07:30:16 PM »

OR HE'S SECRETLY WILL SMITH'S KID

Upper_Krust

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2015, 10:34:51 PM »

He wasn't weakened in the beginning.

He did seem rocked after he crashed through some buildings earlier in the fight, but he recovered quickly.

Before the speedblitz that put him down, Firelord was caught in the explosion of a gas station.  When the dust cleared, Firelord was on the ground, unmoving.  That turned out to be a trick to lure Spidey into the open.  He wasn't really hurt.

Exploding Gas Stations have been known to fell even the toughest heroes. ;)
You address Omnipotence...tread carefully.

Kang Council

• Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2015, 10:51:26 PM »

Of course.  Why wouldn't it be?

I figured, especially based on how we all are over at ICT, a lot of those crazy non-standard feats were retconned.

Firelord was weakened, so it wasn't PIS.

When in the story was he weakened?
  Can't remember somebody was telling me the issue, was having a prob with a planetoid etc, but he was weakened even before coming to earth think he came there for a rest.

The Shuruku Demon

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2015, 06:23:13 PM »

Can't remember somebody was telling me the issue, was having a prob with a planetoid etc, but he was weakened even before coming to earth think he came there for a rest.

Here's the scene in question. Not what I'd call evidence of a character being in a "weakened condition" per se.

Kang Council

• Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2015, 06:31:24 PM »

Here's the scene in question. Not what I'd call evidence of a character being in a "weakened condition" per se.

Yea see what you mean....gotta admit when 2 super heroes fight each other they always tend to have some thing were you can say this guy wasn't at 100%.  So I suspect it was a rubbish way of showing it.  Maybe were missing something.

EDIT:  I do think destroying something the size of a small planet would generally weaken a high herald character though, they tend to max out at planet wide feats.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 06:35:03 PM by Kang Council »

The Shuruku Demon

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2015, 06:58:44 PM »

Always thought the "small planet" line was hyperbole. It doesn't even look the size of a house, the way it's drawn. And I don't get the impression the feat was a major exertion for Firelord either.

XerxesTWD

• Global Moderator
  • Stonemason
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2015, 07:05:01 PM »

It was obviously far away.

The Shuruku Demon

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2015, 07:57:34 PM »

In the panel where we get the clearest view of it, it appears to be closer to the reader than Firelord is. We see Firelord's front, not his back, as he's preparing to blast it.

Rufio

• Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2015, 08:16:24 PM »

I always assumed the artist screwed up the perspective and didn't have time to fix it before it got published.

Kang Council

• Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2015, 10:06:09 PM »

Always thought the "small planet" line was hyperbole. It doesn't even look the size of a house, the way it's drawn. And I don't get the impression the feat was a major exertion for Firelord either.

Nah in hindsight Firelord was weakened and I think I'm being too generous.  First of all writers always find a way when two super heroes fight to have circumstances that indicate that both or one of them are weakened.  If that thing was the size of a small planet....that would explain it.  Writers aren't always going to spell it out for you.

Also Firelord's ego is in effect.  He doesn't want to admit the reason why he doesn't want to chase the meteroites is because he's tired and what clinches it for me it what he says about earth.  Firelord has been all over the universe and all of a sudden earth has the best delights in the whole cosmos????  Lies, really he wants to go to earth because he's tired but won't admit it.

The Shuruku Demon

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2015, 01:04:20 AM »

We really can't be sure how large the writer intended the meteor to be. Hyperbole is quite common in comics, so it's strange to see that explanation being so casually brushed aside as if it isn't a realistic possibility. And even if that thing was the size of a mountain or bigger (which requires it to be many times larger than it was drawn), Firelord doesn't act like a character who was going all-out, or anything close to it.

Rufio

• Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2015, 04:19:04 AM »

It was written by Tom Defalco and he was very clear in the issue that Spider-Man got a lucky win and Firelord would typically be a tough fight for the Avengers.

The same Tom Defalco wrote the Silver Surfer busting a "planet" that Korvac created around him, Hyperion pushing Wonder Man through a small planet's core, and Thor containing a bomb that would've destroyed 1/5 of the universe. Except for Thor, none of the above struggled with these feats. I think the more likely explanation is that Defalco likes to give top tiers their space cheese.

The alternate explanation is that Firelord feared that colliding with a small asteroid would kill him. I don't think that fits with Defalco's body of work--he even had Iron Man crushing a mountain that Terrax hoisted.

AP

• Global Moderator
  • Lizardman
  • Yep. We're boned.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2015, 07:10:50 AM »

Also in regards to the art, it would be hard to show a planetoid-sized meteor flying toward a normal sized guy.

Upper_Krust

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2015, 05:58:32 PM »

As regards Spidey vs. Firelord. While I initially thought the idea of it was nonsensical. Now that I have discovered Firelord was only in the 50-ton bracket (as opposed to a peer of Surfer himself) I'm actually okay with it.
You address Omnipotence...tread carefully.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4