Herochat

Which team has the most fickle fan base in sports?

Jabroniville

• +5/-2
    • View Profile
Re: Which team has the most fickle fan base in sports?
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2015, 08:53:38 AM »
Really? I never would have guessed. I figured it would be soccer or something dumb like that.

I know you live out in West Mabumfuck. Do you think closer to cities that have MLB and NBA franchises (so... just Toronto these days, right?) that those sports are more popular than CFL?
Toronto and Montreal probably had pretty big baseball fanbases at some points, but Montreal couldn't even support their own team. Most Canadian cities are a ways off from the American border (I didn't even know what State bordered Alberta, because it's like a 12-14 hour drive), and so don't fall into the MLB patterns very much.

The CFL is a small league, but most markets have one team- one in Vancouver, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Calgary, Toronto, Montreal, etc. The Saskatchewan Roughriders have a HUGE fanbase going all over Canada (called "Rider Nation"), because Saskatchewan's in the middle of fucking nowhere, even by the standards of Canada (seriously, every province except the Maritimes is like four times the size of Texas, minimum, and tall as fuck), so they're the ONLY thing anyone from that province has to cheer, and anyone who's an expat from Saskatchewan, or from a town with no sports teams, ends up cheering for the Roughriders. The CFL is so big in Saskatchewan, that it's the only place in Canada where FOOTBALL IS MORE POPULAR THAN HOCKEY.

Tragically, there's no more Ottawa Rough Riders, so the legendary Roughriders (vs) Rough Riders matches made fun of on South Park are a thing of the past.

In my High School, we had superstar teams for every single sport... except our Football team, which was awful. It was coached by the Physics & Chem teachers, whereas other teams actually had COACHES. Naturally, the Football team was the only one anyone in school actually cared about, even though our Basketball & Volleyball teams were provincial champions.

I think it helps that the CFL is actually extremely competitive, and has good players- basically everyone who's JUST shitty enough not to make the NFL ends up in the CFL. Doug Flutie was a major star here for years before he ended up in the NFL.

But now that you mention the MLB, everyone in Canada was cheering for Toronto those two years they didn't suck dick, and won the... thing that means you win baseball. All the adults were watching the finals, and cheering their asses off that "our guys" won, even though we were on the other side of the continent.

Soccer is common, but like... the sport of children and women and stuff. Nobody gives a rat's fuck about Basketball unless they're black and/or tall, even though one of us invented the damn sport. The Toronto Argonauts (CFL) have about three times the average attendance of the Toronto Raptors (NBA), but of course Football plays way fewer games, so they're more important.

But obviously, the numbers go like:
1) HOCKEY (call it "ice hockey" and someone will fucking kill you)

2) Football
3) Other Shit
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 09:27:35 AM by Jabroniville »

Jabroniville

• +5/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2015, 09:32:25 AM »
Here's something from Wikipedia on the "Rider Nation":

The Roughriders were founded in 1910 as the Regina Rugby Club. Although they were not the first team to play football in Western Canada, the club has maintained an unbroken organizational continuity since their founding. The Roughriders are the third-oldest professional gridiron football team in existence today (only the Arizona Cardinals and Toronto Argonauts are older), and one of the oldest professional sports teams still in existence in North America. Of these teams, the Roughriders are both the oldest still in existence that continuously has been based in Western Canada as well as the oldest in North America to continuously have been based west of St. Louis, Missouri. They are also the continent's oldest community-owned professional sports franchise, older than every American professional sports team outside baseball other than the aforementioned Cardinals (who, unlike the Roughriders, no longer play in their original city) and older than every Canadian sports team outside football except the Montreal Canadiens, who were founded about nine months prior to the Roughriders.

The team draws fans from across Saskatchewan and Canada who are affectionately known as the "Rider Nation".[1] Their loyalty is all the more remarkable since the Roughriders play in the smallest market in the CFL, and the second-smallest major-league market in North America (only Green Bay, Wisconsin, is smaller). They have finished first in the Western Division seven times and have won the Western championship a record 28 times. They have played in the championship game 19 times and won four Grey Cups.

Rider fans have been referred to as the best fans in the league and were ranked the rowdiest fans of any sports team in Canada by MSN Sports, ranking ahead of the Canada men's national junior ice hockey team and the Montreal Canadiens.[50] The team is third behind the Montreal Canadiens and Toronto Maple Leafs for merchandise sales of Canadian sports teams,[51] and in 2009 the team played in 5 of the 6 most viewed games on television[citation needed] as well as breaking a ratings record for the West Final against the Calgary Stampeders and a Grey Cup ratings record of 43% of the national population against the Montreal Alouettes.[citation needed] According to a recent survey (July 2015), the Riders are considered the third strongest sports Brand in Canada.[52] The Riders typically bring an upsurge in attendance at all or most of their various away venues, drawing crowds of their own fans, as well as home-town fans whose interest is heightened when the Roughriders come to town.[53] The province of Saskatchewan went through tough economic times during the 1980s and 1990s and as a result thousands of Rider fans left the province for work, particularly to Alberta. In Edmonton and especially Calgary, Rider fans make up to half the crowd, and many violent clashes have resulted in recent years between Roughrider and Stampeder fans.[54][55] The Riders have led road attendance in the CFL every year this decade,.[56] and local support has skyrocketed in recent years due to the on-field success of the club, including the first sold-out season in 2008.[57] The Roughriders attendance record came in 1995 in a win over the Calgary Stampeders as 55,438 (more than 25% of Regina's population) fans watched on.[58] This crowd was attainable that year because of the increased capacity of Taylor Field in preparation of hosting the Grey Cup. Rider fans are also known for dressing up in unique and often bizarre Rider-themed costumes, the most popular being the watermelon helmet.[citation needed] The Roughriders have a unique fan-base that are passionate and engaging. They are the only CFL football team with a fan-based analytic website, dedicated to fan-based opinion and perception. Beginning with the 2011 season, Insightrix Research Inc. has conducted a poll after each RoughRider game, surveying a random selection of fans from the SaskWatch Research™ online community. Each week, fans weigh in on the Riders’ game performance and predictions for the rest of the season. These predictions are compared against other Regions in Saskatchewan, titled "Battle of the Regions." [59]

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2015, 06:22:16 PM »
New York and LA, of course.

Idk man. The Mets, Jets and Knicks have been awful forever, but still have pretty Damn loyal fan bases. I think the Knicks sold out every home game last year, even though they were clearly tanking for Towns.

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2015, 06:26:51 PM »
Mets, Lakers, Clippers and Knick fan bases I agree.

Don't get how you can say that about the Knicks. And I'd disagree about the Mets. We might kill ownership for not making any moves (until about a week ago), but no one jumped ship or anything. Mets fans love the team they just hate the Wilpons.

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2015, 06:34:18 PM »
I think it's the Lakers and the Cowboys. Maybe not in Dallas, but when the Cowboys are good you see fans with their gear on ALL THE TIME. The second they're mediocre you can't fucking find one of them.

The Rangers are pretty close too. In 94 and 95 there were tons of fans. Then they disappeared for a couple decades and only reemerged a couple years ago when they were a serious contenders again.

BigJayStudd

• +670/-0
  • 2015 Strider "Shittiest comeback" Award Winner
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2015, 06:37:49 PM »
Mets, Lakers, Clippers and Knick fan bases I agree.

Don't get how you can say that about the Knicks. And I'd disagree about the Mets. We might kill ownership for not making any moves (until about a week ago), but no one jumped ship or anything. Mets fans love the team they just hate the Wilpons.

If you live in the area you probably have a better handle on it than me. Just my impression from the outside

Crab Master

• +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2015, 01:19:17 PM »
The Rangers are pretty close too. In 94 and 95 there were tons of fans. Then they disappeared for a couple decades and only reemerged a couple years ago when they were a serious contenders again.

Even during the down years, they still were out in force, at least around the area I live in. That's the only thing I'll give them credit for is sticking by the smurfs, even during their pretty dissatorious years.