Herochat

In a few pages, the Spider-Girl universe is forever changed

ProjectCornDog

• +1/-12
    • View Profile
In a few pages, the Spider-Girl universe is forever changed
« on: October 24, 2014, 07:06:31 PM »
If you couldn't tell from the title, this is obviously going to be a spoiler.

Okay, if you haven't left yet and don't want to be spoiled, then you deserve to be spoiled. Seriously, what the hell is wrong with you?

Anyway

So Spider-Man and Mary Jane are killed. Spider-Girl gets rescued by unknown Spider-Men, but before she leaves she has this to say. "I'll break every vow I've been taught. All the values my father held dear. And I will KILL you." Safe to say she's a little bit pissed.

Thoughts? I'm personally pumped for Spider-Verse. Get to see all my favorite Spider-Men and Women. Ben Reilly, Assassin Spider-Man, and of course Superior Spider-Man.

Dutchman

• +1/-2
    • View Profile
Re: In a few pages, the Spider-Girl universe is forever changed
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 07:12:44 PM »
Oh is this part of the spider-verse thing? Because I thought Spider-Girl ended ages ago.

I hear good things about Spider-Verse but Dan Slott most of the time is a bit too Dan Slotty for my taste, so I'll wait for a trade.

Sarcastic Cat

• +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 07:20:46 PM »
fuck Quesada.

Slott's run on Spider-Man has been meh

ProjectCornDog

• +1/-12
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 07:28:43 PM »
Oh is this part of the spider-verse thing? Because I thought Spider-Girl ended ages ago.

I hear good things about Spider-Verse but Dan Slott most of the time is a bit too Dan Slotty for my taste, so I'll wait for a trade.

Yes, and it was in The Amazing Spider-Man 8 .

And I honestly don't know what people's hesitation on Slott is. Yes, he's different, but different can be good. Especially in comics where all too many times writers recycle the same story and themes.

Dutchman

• +1/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 07:57:39 PM »
I think the best thing I've seen it described as "fan-ficcy" his stories just .. don't *quite* sound like they should be part of the character he's writing. He's not HORRIBLE (to me), but I read Spider-Island and I'm like ... eh ... really

ProjectCornDog

• +1/-12
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 07:59:13 PM »
I think the best thing I've seen it described as "fan-ficcy" his stories just .. don't *quite* sound like they should be part of the character he's writing. He's not HORRIBLE (to me), but I read Spider-Island and I'm like ... eh ... really

Spider-Island was a bit forced but I really liked everything he's done since, especially Superior Spider-Man. I don't know if you remember, but when Superior was announced people were PISSED. People thought it was another way they were ruining Spider-Man. An idea that was initially received as terrible ended up being a major success. It was different, captivating, and wasn't forced by any means.

Dutchman

• +1/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 08:06:04 PM »
I do remember

My memory isn't 12 seconds

But it's like Spider-Island ALL OF NEW YORK BECOMES SPIDER-MAN .. and then GIANT MONSTERS

and then Ends of the Earth

the Sinister Six ... NEARLY DESTROY PLANET EARTH

and then

Doctor Octopus TAKES OVER PETER'S MIND AND BECOMES SPIDER-MAN

I'm not saying the writing is bad, but the premise feels ficcy and a bit daft

like, She-Hulk is chosed to fight the champion of the universe, and then he gives the power gem to Titania because he lost to her and She-Hulk goes to Marvel comics to read up on the Power Gem and beats Titania

Ficcy.

ProjectCornDog

• +1/-12
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 08:08:55 PM »
Spider-Island with the emergence of Madame Web and then Ends of the Earth where Spider-Man leads a team against his enemies reallllly made me think Daniel Slott recently watched too much of the Spider-Man animated series from the 90s hahah. It really had that feel to it, which was weird to see executed in comics.

And yeah I hear ya that the ideas are a bit wonky. But in the end of the day, I think his execution is pretty darn good.

ProjectCornDog

• +1/-12
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2014, 08:21:24 AM »
Was that Mayday Parker in those scans???

I just pulled my Spider-girl series out to re-read this morning. Now THAT is how you write a good Spider series. With respect.

Yup.

Propeus The Fallen

• +22/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2014, 01:31:06 PM »
I guess Joe Q finally remembered the marriage still existed in the MC2 verse. :)

NeoGreenLantern

• +77/-19
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2014, 04:59:16 PM »
I like Slott and I don't really get the fan ficcy critcism. IMHO pretty much everyone in the business is basically writing fan fiction anymore with Morrison being the exception.

Dutchman

• +1/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2014, 05:38:42 PM »
I like Slott and I don't really get the fan ficcy critcism.
You would.

[grump face]

IMHO pretty much everyone in the business is basically writing fan fiction anymore withMorrison being the exception.

AP

• +80/-52
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2014, 03:24:21 AM »
Looks like the Spider-Girlverse also still has the totem stuff from JMS' run.

NeoGreenLantern

• +77/-19
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2014, 09:01:00 AM »
I like Slott and I don't really get the fan ficcy critcism.
You would.

[grump face]

IMHO pretty much everyone in the business is basically writing fan fiction anymore withMorrison being the exception.

Did you highlight that because you agree or disagree?