Herochat

Analyzing an issue - What you liked and disliked about Axis #3

Whiskeyclone

• +8/-1
    • View Profile
Analyzing an issue - What you liked and disliked about Axis #3
« on: October 23, 2014, 05:33:18 PM »
This could be good as a semi-regular thing to get a feel for what people like and don't. Well start with the latest big event issue from Marvel, Avengers/X-Men: Axis #3.

Simply state what you liked and disliked about this particular issue.

Necro

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Analyzing an issue - What you liked and disliked about Axis #3
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 05:38:39 PM »
The whole issue felt a little all over the place.
Just relatively uneven, but I enjoyed Doom and Loki, as well their interaction with Magneto.

What did stand out like a sore thumb to me was that:
1. Carnage and Sabretooth ripping into Adamantium Sentinels. HOW.
2. Magneto suddenly talking big and blowing the head of one Sentinel apart, giving a speech how this is his job (why didn't he do that before, instead of cutting and running?)
3. Inversion. Kind of made no sense to me why they would go for that.

Whiskeyclone

• +8/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 05:53:34 PM »
Liked:

- The return of Remender's Deadpool, who really won me over big time in Uncanny X-Force. His Iron Man "team-up" was good, and I liked seeing his reunion with Evan from UXF.

- Absorbing Man getting to kick ass, with no downside or catch.

- The general variety of characters in play.

- Loki & Doom

Disliked:

- The art - I still dislike Yu's work, as I have ever since after his first couple of years on Wolverine around "Not Dead Yet" and Operation Zero Tolerance"

- The moments of awful, amateur filler dialog given in the battle scene. Sabertooth while fighting a sentinel "I ain't a fan of taking orders from no frail - but Enchantress and Mystique are the exceptions." Ugh, the old take-the-most-dumbed-down-generic-take-on-the-character-and-use-it-to-give-them-something-to-fill-dialog-space-with trick. Plus he'd never met Enchantress before and is usually partners with Mystique.
        - Sticking with Sabertooth, the way he was casually taken out in 3 panels time, two of which he wasn't in, by Deadpool just to make the beats work (Remender even acknowledges how cheap it was through Deadpool's dialog). Standard for events, but it still counts.

- Magneto's dialog - Remender has him talking like a real kingly fag. That can't be how he's being written in his book, right?

- The way they immediately forced the dis-union between the two teams into the center of the plot as soon as the Skull was down. I just don't buy that there's so much senseless bitterness between them after all this time, though I guess they have had enough conflicts in the event era that it's getting more in-character at least.

- The still-silly notion that anyone cares about the Havok/Wasp thing. I don't know why it feels so dumb, but it does.

Necro

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 06:22:53 PM »
Yeah, the dialogue is immensely cringeworthy.
I feel it sounds very artificial, watered down.

Hamburglar

• +2414/-55
  • I use naughty words
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 07:34:43 PM »
I'll argue that Yu's artwork looked better than it has in a while in this issue. It lacked the scratchy quality that tends to make his art look like it was drawn with a Bic pen.

Also, they really missed an opportunity with a big reveal of Evan turning into paleo-dieting Apocalypse.

FUCKING DIGUSTING

Whiskeyclone

• +8/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 08:24:07 PM »
For a second I thought it was just Absorbing Man again.

Yeah, the dialogue is immensely cringeworthy.
I feel it sounds very artificial, watered down.

*villains arrive and begin fighting adamantium sentinels*

Magneto: Go forth and bring this maniacal fascist to his knees, so declareth Magnus!

Carnage: I like fucking babies to death!

Hobgoblin: This sure is different from what I usually do, fighting Spider-Man, my enemy!

Enchantress: I'll use my godly whoring powers to win the day!

Sabertooth: Grrrr, ur my fave leader, even though I still have an edge!

80sBaby

• +35/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 09:22:18 AM »
I LOVED the Magneto/Loki/Doom team-up/interaction. Deadpool + Tony was GOLD ("Then I saw her face...now I'm an AVENGER!!") Also love Doom's moment "Once again it falls to Doom to save the planet." Old Man Steve pointing out the obvious "Looks like the Avengers AND X-Men worked together to win."

I disliked the X-Men, once again, turning into whining bitches. Cyclops, again, choosing to risk the lives of everyone on the planet in the hope that he was right.

Sarcastic Cat

• +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 01:54:49 PM »
i remember when people use to post scans on this site

Jabroniville

• +4/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 04:31:24 PM »
Yeah, the idea of Magneto sending a legion of villains up against this unstoppable foe was a great one. Doom'd dialogue was on point. But the whole argument at the end of the issue was fucking absurd- especially Havok getting all butthurt because The Avengers decided to bring the KO'd Red Skull to their base. WHY DOES IT FUCKING MATTER? Havok IS an Avenger! He can take part in the healing/imprisoning/whatever! This is a stupid pretend-problem in order to get everyone distrustful again!

Mightily Oats

• +77/-582
  • Master of Fagnetism
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2014, 10:11:51 PM »
And what the fuck is happening with Magneto

80sBaby

• +35/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2014, 11:49:28 PM »
Yeah, the idea of Magneto sending a legion of villains up against this unstoppable foe was a great one. Doom'd dialogue was on point. But the whole argument at the end of the issue was fucking absurd- especially Havok getting all butthurt because The Avengers decided to bring the KO'd Red Skull to their base. WHY DOES IT FUCKING MATTER? Havok IS an Avenger! He can take part in the healing/imprisoning/whatever! This is a stupid pretend-problem in order to get everyone distrustful again!

To be fair, all the bitching at the end is likely due to the Inversion.

MTL76

• +1137/-119
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2014, 09:16:59 AM »
Yeah, I'm assuming the acrimony between the Avengers and X-Men, the way Evan hulked out into Apocalypse 2.0... All that is the inversion.

What didn't I like about Axis #3, and Axis in general? It's your typical bloated punch-up being labelled as an event, instead of a character-driven team-up story involving characters who wouldn't normally interact that much. Which makes it your standard Marvel event, no different than Civil War, or Secret Invasion, or Avengers vs. X-Men. Just people blasting each other.

Usually I'm a major sucker for a face turn story, a la the original Thunderbolts, but here the villains that have "turned" are some of the worst ones to use. There's nothing in the characters of Carnage, Sabretooth or Hobgoblin that make me want to see them redeemed. And the fact that it's because of some spell makes it less compelling from a character point of view.

Loki's inclusion does make sense. It would have been interesting to see the rescue be done by some other former villains or villains who were already on the fence of a turn... thinking of Songbird, Spiral, Sandman, characters like that.

The dialogue was just... awful.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

ProjectCornDog

• +11/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2014, 09:20:14 AM »
Liked:

- Always love it when Doom makes an appearance.
- Love how the writer respected source material. A lot of references to past comics, even obscure ones. Gotta appreciate a writer whose actually up to date on all the characters he's writing about.
- Evan and Deadpool.
- Carnage!

Disliked:

- Cyclops. Why is he still relevant?
- Havoc is lame.