Herochat

My god, we have barely any people on the board...

Hamburglar

• +2413/-54
  • I use naughty words
    • View Profile
Re: My god, we have barely any people on the board...
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2015, 06:05:06 PM »
I'm afraid we wouldn't be going anywhere as a board until we ban RIV, DLB and safado.

FUCKING DIGUSTING

nu-safado

• +4/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2015, 07:24:41 PM »
1 - Ares, AP and HJ are all creative writers. Mightily Oats is a writer. I'll get flak, but I am as well. I suspect there are a lot more that are just shy to post their work

Besides them the movie,tv,and music forums cover a lot of territory but they are hugely active. A lot of board members are smart, insightful and have great perspectives on pop culture and culture in general. No reason that can't be transformed into movie, tv and book reviews, and who knows what else.

So back to your original question. How does this get more members?

Here's what I'm going to do

1 - make the boards better PERIOD: Once a new member gets here, they have to gravitate towards forums they like. I just looked at KMC forums. They have a good layout, but they're conservative. That won't be a problem here. The ethic stays the same, we just offer more venues for people to do what they like

2 - Once the basic additions are installed then a front pahe and a system of how it's going to work is put in. A front page can do worlds of awesomeness. It's easy. Pick 1-12 sites with news on whatever subject and put an rss feed and post daily. Top navigation makes everything above official. Imagine Oats writing up a nice review of Michael Crichton and Jurassic World. Dutch writing a review of anything and getting a column for whenever he feels like posting and getting the creative juices flowing. It wouldn't have to be longer than a few forum posts, just copy and paste it with a cool caricature. On the forums everybody discuses, argues whatever.....just a lot more activity.

3 - So 1 is pretty specific. 2 is a broad stroke but I'm brainstorming.  Here's what I'm gettin at in the long run

A - make the board BETTER - in terms of structure and letting people use their talent. Before anything else is done,  the forum has to be more professional looking and with better options for usage.

B - Facebook ads, twitter, facebook page, a few ppc ads, keyword research and work to get organic traffic. Back links to other sites and blogs. Pretty soon the site will shot up in google for a lot of pop culture results. The battleboard alone will bring along the type of person who debates who wins in a super hero fight and get people onto all the other boards. Respect threads will do the same.

So long story short. Make the board better. Create structure and go after it like any internet business except the goal is to get new users. Aim for say, a very reasonable 500 new mmebers in the next 6 months as I put up ads and get people over. Sooner or later, the board is popping

I want to run it professionally. I had about 10 good ideas while wriitng this. I'll start writing some specific stuff toight and getting in touch with people but my big question for everyone is - what forums do we want and how do we implement them?

Sorry for all the typos, Im thinking out loud here

BigJayStudd

• +670/-0
  • 2015 Strider "Shittiest comeback" Award Winner
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2015, 07:56:59 PM »
Your logic was flawed from the beginning, Safado.

AP is fucking hot garbage

Not BAMF

• +6/-11
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2015, 09:52:19 PM »
I'm a big fan of any kind of move where the members works section grows and sees more action. I have never written anything for here, but I do write a lot, and I'd be beyond willing to start doing so if that area sees an increase in activity.

AP

• +51/-48
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2015, 11:28:39 PM »
I can start posting my fanfic.

ProjectCornDog

• +1/-12
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2015, 10:07:19 AM »
I want to see the "members creations" side of the forum get more activity. I feel like I am among the few that post there, it's pretty lonely!

BigJayStudd

• +670/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2015, 10:52:51 AM »
I say we make up some cardboard herochat guitars and stand on busy streets playing them and waving at traffic ala Little Ceasers.

I think that's a better plan than relying on our least trafficked board to generate interest

MTL76

• +1111/-11
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2015, 11:01:38 AM »
I've got some nude selfies to post. Does that go in Member Creations or Jungle Room?

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

BigJayStudd

• +670/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2015, 11:26:10 AM »
I've got some nude selfies to post. Does that go in Member Creations or Jungle Room?

Move it to "Ask the Staff" and we will pose questions to your manhood. HIYOOOOOOO

nu-safado

• +4/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2015, 10:50:57 AM »

Goes on the new front page my friend - THAT'S traffic!

I'm a big fan of any kind of move where the members works section grows and sees more action. I have never written anything for here, but I do write a lot, and I'd be beyond willing to start doing so if that area sees an increase in activity

That's what I'm talking about! How many people are looking to be creative among smart peers and need an outlet. I'm officially starting on this today. I'll be in touch with a lot of people drumming up interest and asking questions to get a marketing campaign started.

Necro

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2015, 07:18:57 PM »
Hey, Safado, I seem to remember we used to have votings and awards for best new posters.

I think it may be a good idea to bring that back.

Also, is it possible to check post accounts by joined date?

Would be nice to have a way to see who joined when and how active they were, so that if we get someone new, and they really participate, we can shine a positive spotlight on em.

JookDukem

• +24/-25
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2015, 05:11:46 PM »
lmao all of this fucking MoaHNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG about new members, and your bitch-made hater prayers were answered.

You're welcome. Faggots.

Hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggg snikt.

nu-safado

• +4/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2015, 04:16:17 PM »
Hey, Safado, I seem to remember we used to have votings and awards for best new posters.

I think it may be a good idea to bring that back.

Also, is it possible to check post accounts by joined date?

Would be nice to have a way to see who joined when and how active they were, so that if we get someone new, and they really participate, we can shine a positive spotlight on em.

That's a good idea. Yeah, on the mod side it shows new members and I have a tech issue to work out with members who tried to join, but had problems registering that I need to work out tonight. Overall though, I think encouraging new members is a grest idea. I've started talking to some mods and a few other people on Facebook and I'm hoping to get some significant action going on soon

I just changed a few things tech-wise. I got about 10 hours worth of video on the tech required for maintenance etc.......( as I'd mentioned) as well as adding 10gb of allotted memory to the board.

So how can we best welcome and encourage new posters. I persoanlly try to send pm's, but any ideas are welcome here.

ProjectCornDog

• +1/-12
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2015, 07:55:23 AM »
If I was a new member or a guest and I checked out 'Ask The Staff' and saw a topic on top titled "My god, we barely have any people on the board" I'd think to myself "maybe its not worth staying here" and consider leaving.

Fact is, yes we can use more members but theres always a decent amount of users on so its misleading.  I vote to change the name of this thread.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 08:15:44 AM by ProjectCornDog »

nu-safado

• +4/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2015, 01:52:53 PM »
PM the mods.

I've taken a few actions this week and work is underway to recruit and bolster memberships etc........

We have close to 800 members, of which I don't know how may are bots.

We also have a lot of people who tried to register and had trouble, so that's about 300 members that I need to verify and see who's a bot and who's not. Other than that we're getting new members and upgrading the board as I mentioned.

So in 11 months, not counting the 4 or so months it took me to figure out how to use the software, we are close to 1000 members. Once the upgrades start coming in, we can get a whole lot more than that

Like I keep repeating, the biggest deal is making sure that everyone is happy with the board part itslef, no matter what else I add - front page, news, other stuff. So keep comigng up wit ideas and pm'ing and emailing me.

I just found out the other day how manuy people have become frineds off line and I talk to a lot of members on facebook - that was incrediby rewarding so let's keep it up!!!!