Herochat

Best hero/hero or villain/villain friendships?

Thanos6

• +21/-17
    • View Profile
Best hero/hero or villain/villain friendships?
« on: June 09, 2015, 03:23:01 AM »
What heroes or villains aren't just good working partners, but actually have nice friendships?  (This is of course rare for villains, but makes those that do exist all the more enjoyable to read about)

Some of my favorite examples:

Spidey/Human Torch
Beast/Wonder Man
Blue Beetle/Booster Gold
Fixer/Mentallo (not as prominent since Thunderbolts, alas)
Truten forever!

AP

• +119/-56
    • View Profile
Re: Best hero/hero or villain/villain friendships?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 05:11:56 AM »
Spidey and Daredevil is always fun to see.

Not BAMF

• +22/-15
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 07:30:34 AM »
I liked the Wolverine/Jubilee stuff in the 90's.

Captain Cold and Mirror Master are another good duo.

ProjectCornDog

• +11/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 09:37:09 AM »
Taskmaster and Deadpool

scourge

• +37/-10
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 09:55:18 AM »
Juggernaut & Black Tom. Two villains that really cared a lot about one another, the greatest of friends for a really long time.

MTL76

• +1137/-119
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 11:55:59 AM »
Wrecking Crew. They stick together without the usual villain team bickering.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

Ares

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 12:10:40 PM »
Juggernaut & Black Tom. Two villains that really cared a lot about one another, the greatest of friends for a really long time.

Darnit, I was going to suggest those two. They always seemed like genuinely good friends, and even when the bickered, like when Cain gave Tom half of his power and Tom overreacted, starting a fight with them, Tom eventually calmed down and realized that Cain had sacrificed half of his power for him, and they were back to being buddies in no time. After the fight with the X-Men and Spider-Man, they were talking about how fun the fight was and comparing what they'd done to their opponents.

Danny and Luke Cage were another favorite friendship, since they were the quintessential odd couple from completely different backgrounds and personality types, yet were constantly referenced as being closer than brothers. There was a scene where a mind-controlled Danny was just beating the CRAP out of Cage, and Luke made Danny promise him that their kids would grow up together. Which was enough to shake Danny out of that mind control. And naturally, once he was free, the two were back to bantering and bickering like they always did, downplaying what just happened because, well, they're guys and that's just what we do.

Dr. Strange and Spider-Man always had a kind of weird friendship that I found kind of fascinating, and one that seemed to get semi-regular play without being quite as bro-mance-y as some of the others mentioned. Peter seemed like someone who just treated Strange as just another guy, which Stephen probably appreciated. Strange often played a kind of mentor role to Peter, but it came off as more of a big brother/little brother type deal, where they could still snark to each other about how weird the other one was.

Wally West and Kyle Rayner were basically the big humanizing element of the Justice League for the longest time, and it was their friendship and interaction that help ground things a little.

Wolverine's friendship with both Nightcrawler and Colossus was interesting, especially given the latter pair were often of a similar temperament but didn't seem to really hang out with each other as much. Logan's attitude with the more fun loving but religious Kurt or the initially somewhat naive and goodnatured Peter often allowed for some good back and forth between them. And the nice thing was, Logan as the cynical, world weary guy who had seen everything, was just as often wrong as he was right when compared to the other two. It's easy for writers to favor their own personal opinion on optimism vs pessimism, so it was nice to see a more balanced take with the three.

And I might be alone, but I kind of prefer the friendship Superman and Batman had during the later World's Finest days in the late 70's/early-to-mid 80's, where both men really respected the other and were genuine friends, rather than the more adversarial relationship they've had for the most part since Frank Miller's Dark Knight books.

Thanos6

• +21/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2015, 06:47:49 PM »
I don't know HOW I forgot Danny and Luke.  That's inexcusable on my part.
Truten forever!

80sBaby

• +35/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2015, 07:05:39 PM »
Superboy (Conner) and Robin (Tim)

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2015, 07:15:05 PM »
Daredevil/Black Widow is good. More than a friendship at times obviously so maybe cheating a bit, but they stayed pretty close even after they broke up. I always like their interactions.

Cheers.

scourge

• +37/-10
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2015, 08:37:23 PM »
I don't know HOW I forgot Danny and Luke.  That's inexcusable on my part.

One month ban

AP

• +119/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2015, 10:55:11 PM »
While they are lovers and not friends, I always found Absorbing Man and Titania to be a cute couple.

Bandido

• +10/-2
  • I can't let you do that Starfox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2015, 11:50:23 PM »
Sinestro and Hal Jordan

INDRA THUNDERER

• +4/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2015, 12:48:11 AM »
Captain America,& Thor

Wyntyr

• +114/-83
  • Literally The Devil
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2015, 01:02:41 AM »
Catman/Deadshot
The tree grows high but the oxygen fails to reach all the branches