Herochat

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note that forum is still under construction.

heroes
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 64

Author Topic: NFL General Talk  (Read 40457 times)

WhiteDouchebagMale

• Mystery
    • View Profile
Re: NFL 2014
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2014, 10:11:23 PM »

Are you Ammar or Stu?

issue9mm

• Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2014, 11:44:51 PM »

spoken like a last minute Fantasy player. Romo and Ryan can put up some fantasy points, but if I need someone in the playoffs or crunch time when it really counts. Brady, Peyton, Rodgers, Flacco, Eli, Wilson, Rothlisberger. Accept no substitutes.

Spoken like someone who doesn't win that much in fantasy.  Brady, Peyton, Rodgers, Brees, Wilson, Cam, and usually, Stafford.  Even as a Ravens fan who loves Flacco, he, Eli and Romo don't belong in the categories of "reliable", "consistent" or "crunch".  In game time, sure, they're great to have, but if I had a nickel for every time Eli failed to crack 15, I'd have a pocket full of nickels.  Flacco scored 7 points agains Indy.  Romo had abysmal games in Weeks 1 and 2. 

Sarcastic Cat

• Stonemason
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2014, 11:47:34 PM »

I'm not talking about Fantasy

issue9mm

• Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2014, 11:57:46 PM »

Withdrawn, your honor.

Sarcastic Cat

• Stonemason
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2014, 12:51:07 AM »

your point was valid in terms of fantasy, i worded my post poorly. I just meant proven franchise QBs that are adequate in the regular season and can turn it on in the playoffs.

Fantasy gets me mad, too many variables I can't account for. I'll never forget the year I drafted Kevin Kolb and he got me .2 Fantasy points. When he got that concussion and Vick went in (2011 I think).  Lost my game by about 2 fantasy points.

And this year I got fucking Adrian Peterson, and thought I was being smart picking up Ray Rice in the last round (pre-video) as a back up running-back. Oh also had the Panthers defense. So yeah suffice to say I suck at fantasy drafts.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 04:40:24 AM by Sarcastic Cat »

issue9mm

• Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2014, 02:13:52 AM »

No worries.  In my opinion, fantasy isn't really about the draft -- it's about the moves you make after.  Everybody's guessing at the draft, basically.  Most of the top 10 drafted were frigging busts.  How you deal with that and move on is what make fantasy worth playing, IMO.

Or... at least that's my excuse for generally having shitty drafts and then still working out winning seasons.

Prime

• I'm in there like swimwear...
  • Administrator
  • King
  • Av/Sig:Bria Myles
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2014, 07:06:45 PM »

I'd still take Ryan over Flacco on my team, any day.

Matt Ryan is Peyton Manning in his regular season excellence (barring the past two years of injuries on O and ineffective blocking) and postseason mediocrity. Flacco is Eli Manning in his up & down regular season performances, but if he can get to the playoffs? Look out.

It's Flacco.

Prime

• Administrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2014, 07:11:34 PM »

No worries.  In my opinion, fantasy isn't really about the draft -- it's about the moves you make after.  Everybody's guessing at the draft, basically.  Most of the top 10 drafted were frigging busts.  How you deal with that and move on is what make fantasy worth playing, IMO.

Or... at least that's my excuse for generally having shitty drafts and then still working out winning seasons.

Yeah, it's all about making week to week adjustments. Last year in my work league (which the commish fucked up points and made us start two Qb's) I lost Arian Foster, Julio Jones, Sam Bradford, and Reggie Wayne to IR, somehow managed to get my team to .500, make the playoffs and make it all the way to the chip where i finally lost. Have to be able to identify free agents and waiver worthy guys before the next guy figures it out.

Sarcastic Cat

• Stonemason
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2014, 08:02:04 PM »

Matt Ryan is Peyton Manning in his regular season excellence (barring the past two years of injuries on O and ineffective blocking) and postseason mediocrity. Flacco is Eli Manning in his up & down regular season performances, but if he can get to the playoffs? Look out.

It's Flacco.

Matt Ryan is a poor man's Tony Romo. Comparing him to Peyton is far too kind. Ryan underachieved when the Falcons had a great team around him.  At least Peyton lacked a defense when he was in Indy.  And when the Broncos lost to Baltimore that was more on his defense again. Ravens spotted the Broncos 2 special teams touchdowns and held Peyton to 3 touchdowns, but were still able to pull off a win.

The loss to Seattle the whole team got waxed. I don't mind people blaming Peyton for that but Seattle just dominated in every facet of the game.

Eli and Flacco are two good QBs who have benefited from good organizations. Eli is so lucky he forced himself out of San Diego. Eli's kind of an anomaly to me. Just when I count him out he becomes Superman. And when I expect him to be good he stinks. The Flacco comparison is a shallow one to me. They have different tendencies, strengths and weakness as QBs.

Flacco’s had some inconsistencies, but I think there are reasons for those inconsistencies. Cam Cameron, holding the ball too long and obviously he is more of a pure pocket guy. I’ve never been really sold on the Ravens skill position guys either. During the Superbow season, if you watch the game film you see receivers that are essentially covered in man coverage. He’s had to make a lot of tight throws. Now his receivers can make a lot of contested catches, we know that is Boldin’s game. End of the day we know Flacco is willing to make difficult throws and he’s got the strongest arm in the league. Torrey Smith is the deep threat, with ok hands. Jacoby Jones is fast, but pretty inconsistent. Steve Smith was a big pick up this season. The loss of Pitta hurts, but Owen Daniels has stepped up so far.

Over the years Flacco’s gotten better at stretching plays and moving around in the pocket, which I think surprised a lot of defenses. And he was doing this consistently during the Super Bowl run.  End of the day it comes down to whether he is in the pocket or off movement he can make throws. I’m a believer in that. I think arm strength in this league matters. I think people who think arm strength doesn’t matter or is overrated are dead wrong.  I think Flacco's historically had a good defense to prop him up as well. Ravens defense has been declining for a few years but they are still solid. The secondary is questionable, but that front 7 is great. And considering Flacco's under a whole new offensive system and coordinator I think he's doing a pretty good job.

I'm slightly harder on Matt Ryan because he had elite offensive weapons through his first 4 years, and he fell short. Outside of maybe Tony Romo, Ryan had better offensive talent around him than most other QBs, with a pretty good defense to back him up.

Eli's just a ballsy dude. Can anyone truly give Manning credit for David Tyree’s catch? A few plays earlier, the sure-handed Asante Samuel dropped an easy interception. Still, the willingness to make stick throws into tight windows is a positive in the NFL, not a negative. There’s no question he’s thrown some poor interceptions in his career, but he’s also pulled the trigger and completed balls on passes other quarterbacks would not have even attempted.  Giants always struck me as a meh team that could turn it on if the defense was playing well. I've never been too impressed with the offensive talent around Eli. It's never been awful, but nothing special to me, which is why I give Eli more credit than most.

Eli with the two magical post season runs and Super Bowl wins. I don't know what to make of the Giants, they drift from these extremes far too often. They are tied with the Redskins as the worst team in the NFC East right now.  As for the Falcons, well their season is over. Might as well tank for the draft.

Flacco gives you stability, and he's been a pretty consistent winner. With a decent team around him Flacco gives you 10 to 12 wins and a shot to make some noise in the playoffs. Last year was kind of a wash, massive O-line injuries, Ray Rice injury, no number 1 receiver, and the defense going through a rebuilding period.  Ravens offense is going through some growing pains this year as well. They haven't beaten anyone good. The two games they lost (Bengals and Colts) the defense played well and gave the offense plenty of chances to win. Losses weren't all Flacco (dropped passes/fumbles).

Prime

• Administrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2014, 08:49:32 PM »

It's Flacco.

Matt Ryan is a poor man's Tony Romo. Comparing him to Peyton is far too kind. Ryan underachieved when the Falcons had a great team around him.  At least Peyton lacked a defense when he was in Indy.  And when the Broncos lost to Baltimore that was more on his defense again. Ravens spotted the Broncos 2 special teams touchdowns and held Peyton to 3 touchdowns, but were still able to pull off a win.

Matt Ryan's game is nothing like Manning's at all. I was simply talking about their regular/post season successes or lack thereof.

Peyton not having a defense is a myth. In 02, he had the 7th ranked defense in pts allowed (19) and was one and done in the playoffs. In 2005, 2nd in pts allowed (like 15 points a game, the Seahawks last year gave up 14 pts a game, for comparison) again one and done. 2007 (16), 1st in pts allowed one and done, AGAIN. 2008 7th (18 per) one and done.

It's a myth Peyton's fans use to prop him up when people compare him to Brady. If that whole "Peyton would have won chips had he had a defense in Indy" were actually true, Peyton should be sitting on at least 4 Super Bowl rings right now.

I'll address the rest of your post later on
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 11:31:26 PM by Supeprime »

issue9mm

• Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2014, 08:57:03 PM »

Anyway looking forward to watching the Texans front 7 demolish the Steelers tonight

How'd that work out?

Sarcastic Cat

• Stonemason
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2014, 10:25:31 PM »

Anyway looking forward to watching the Texans front 7 demolish the Steelers tonight

How'd that work out?

about as good as my cousins vacation to Ottawa (true story)

issue9mm

• Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2014, 10:42:41 PM »

I was starting Andre Johnson and Arian Foster, and I'm a Ravens fan... so I was definitely rooting for Houston to demolish Pitttsburgh.  Alas.

Propeus The Fallen

• Stonemason
    • View Profile
Re: NFL General Talk/News
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2014, 04:39:45 AM »

Titans to start Mettenburger!

Maybe this season could get better. It'll be nice having an accurate QB who can throw for long passes. :)

Prime

• Administrator
  • King
    • View Profile
Re: NFL General Talk/News
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2014, 05:21:51 AM »

PTF! Good to have you back.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 64