« on: October 18, 2014, 04:01:41 PM »
Anybody been watching this? Thoughts?

Not Thorne Pretending To Be A Chick

• +0/-0
  • Shit post >>>>>>>
    • View Profile
Re: The Knick
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 05:21:13 PM »
I couldn't get past that first C-section.  I can't deal with shit about surgery.

MTL76

• +1109/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 11:27:13 AM »
I work in medicine so in general I really have no interest in watching a show set in the medical world on my off time. But I made an exception for this show. Maybe because it's set so many years ago, that the subject material is more unrecognizable and interesting to me.

It's predictable but very well done. The characters all have their horrific secrets, but it's done so well I don't mind knowing what will happen. The cast is great.

I really liked the first episode where the patient dies in surgery and the surgeon immediately looks tot he people watching and says "Oh well, at least we learned something." This shit was absolutely true. Surgeons will say anything to shift blame away from themselves - "Jeez, I've never seen such abnormal anatomy!" Until the next operation... After that I was hooked.

The music is great too.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

Whiskeyclone

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 05:13:25 PM »
Yeah I like it pretty well, too. It's definitely not for the feint of heart, though I feel like that aspect has cooled down a bit from the early episodes.

I also agree it's not exactly groundbreaking in a lot of the story beats, but it's very well acted and I like the era. I'm glad Owen got a weekly role to sink his teeth into, too.

MTL76

• +1109/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 06:34:26 PM »
Would have liked to see a team-up between Ping Wu and Richard Harrow. They'd be the terror of the underworld.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium