Herochat

College Football Discussion

Propeus The Fallen

• +22/-5
    • View Profile
Re: College Football Discussion
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2015, 11:36:40 PM »
Well, one thing I'm hoping for is that the Bucs take Winston and the Titans GM tries to get more picks by trying to negoiate with the Eagles. You know Chip Kelly would love to have Mariota.

But then I'm asking someone who traded away or cut two LBs who are now on teams in the AFC championship game to win a battle of the minds. :(

GalactusTheGreat

• +0/-0
  • A Beautiful Mine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2015, 09:16:48 AM »
That would be the dumbest thing Chip Kelly could do. There is nothing wrong with having Foles as a starter. The Eagles only fix should be a new defense coordinator, getting rid and replacing Nate Allen and Fletcher, and leaving everything as it should.

Prime

• I'm in there like swimwear...
  • +4/-24
  • Av/Sig:Bria Myles
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2015, 01:45:46 PM »
I'm not going to hold a rookie QB responsible when he's put in the last games of the season--especially when the Bengals just took the opening drive and rammed it down the Browns throat. The defense that was doing pretty good went away. Josh Gordon never made an impact. I think he'll do pretty good next season.

He played god awful. All it was, was him running around trying to do Johnny Football things...which don't work at the NFL unless you are a top tier athlete, and he isn't. The guy's play and work ethic absolutely SCREAMS bust, toxic, just doesn't get it. Maybe he could be Russell Wilson on his best day, but he is not as fast, doesn't have Wilson's arm, is NOWHERE the pocket passer Wilson is, and even though Wilson is shorter, Wilson has a more compact build and stocky body type to take hits. I won't even bother mentioning intangibles, as Wilson is near tops in the League, and Johnny pretty much has none.

Tebow can play, Tebow DID play, TEBOW won. The reason Tebow played was because the Broncos sucked. I watched them against the Titans and that offensive line was horrid, Thomas wasn't what he is today, and Orton--well, he's a loser and a punk. The Broncos had a losing record. Tebow got put in finally, they got to the playoffs, they beat the Pittsburgh Steelers and Tebow actually did great throwing the ball. And that's with Fox's idiot run, run, throw for a long three idiot scheme and the RB fumbling the ball to get the Steelers back in the game. Jon Gruden, someone who ESPN has evaluate QBs coming into the NFL, has vocally stated he would love to have Tim Tebow as his starter.

No, he can't. In his one season starting he completed 46% of his passes, for 12 tds and 6 picks. His QBR, which also factors in rushing yards by a QB was 29.2 which was abysmal. He looked halfway competent against horrible teams with horrible defenses, and god awful against good ones. The Broncos D that year kept them in it against upper echelon competition, as it played up and down to opponents usually. No QB who completes less than half his passes at less than 7 yards per attempt is good. A two to one touchdown to interception rate is not good. The writing was on the wall, and the Broncos were fucked in 2012 if they let him start again. With a whole offseason to study tape on that Broncos read/option? Lol they were fucked and they knew it. 2011 Broncos won in SPITE of Tebow's play more often than not. Not because of it.

You know who you kind of remind me of? J. Jonah Jamerson from Marvels. Y'know "If Spider-Man acts he's a vigilante, if he doesn't he's a coward." Winston didn't have the talent so his mistakes and loss are explained, Jones had a better team so what he did wasn't that impressive. That's not fair.

My problem with the Seminoles wasn't that they barely won...it was the teams they barely beat. C'mon, Florida gave them a fight. Florida. Florida had them on the ropes. They were being pushed by lots of teams they still had more talent then. OSU went into the playoffs and kicked butt. Being a QB is about doing what you can with what you have and what the other team will give you. Jones did that. When Alabama had him on those long third downs, I figured, he's in trouble--but he made the plays! And he kept doing it.
Winston made very bad mistakes against bad teams. And he came back--but he shouldn't have had to later in the season. I just saw poor decision making.

That'd make sense if there wasn't a full season worth of tape from last year where we saw Winston play virtually mistake free football and consistently dominate AND lead the Seminoles from behind when they played in the Championship game. This year they had FAR less talent around him (as you could clearly see in the Oregon blowout) and he put the team on his back for the entire season and kept them in it. Did he press a lot this year? Yes. But again, no one else was going to make a play for the Seminoles, clearly. Jones showed something yes, and he has a very high ceiling. But 3 games when your team is playing well around you is NOT going to give you an accurate view of what he can do. He plays in a spread, behind a great O line, with a great running back, it's easy to look great. Can he look off a safety? Throw with anticipation in tight windows if a D takes away the deep shots? Etc, Etc. He needs reps. A fuckton of them. But he has the most potential of him, Mariota, and Winston. But you could have said the same thing about Logan Thomas at Virginia Tech (6-6, 250 with a huge arm and he ran a 4.54. In other words, Logan Thomas is equal to and maybe slightly greater than Cam Newton in raw athleticism), and Arians didn't even feel comfortable starting him over RYAN LINDLEY. Just because your a big fucking guy who can run and throw a football to the moon doesn't mean shit. Raw is raw. People get so enamored with the Athletic college QB's watching them run around in college ball and think that shit works consistently at the pro level, it doesn't. Even the greatest athletes only go so far without fundamentals. If athleticism alone was all you need, Vick would have a million rings by now. Best Athlete at the QB position I have ever seen by a WIDE margin. No one had his speed, not even RG3 or Cunningham, and he could flick his wrist and throw a rope 40 yards running full speed midstride. Insane.

And I'm not saying Winston is going to not be great. He does have the potential. He's a winner. He finally lost a football game...and that was mainly because the team around him self destructed in one of the most weirdest ways ever. I just think Jones will be better. Just using the eye test, he leaped out of the screen. He played with poised, read his progressions, didn't eye any single one too long. He was in the biggest spotlight of his life and he thrived.
Plays in a spread, you usually only read half the field, reads are simpler, route trees are simpler, very few checks and changes in protections if ANY. Winston? He does ALL of that already. Jones at the pro level would be AWFUL right now, especially given how many teams use packaged plays now, where routes will change depending on coverage. Same for Mariota, the change will be rough.

Mett isn't a statue. Is he going to run for twenty yards. No. But he will move around in the pocket to avoid a hit--and brother did he have to with that injury ridden o-line. And I saw a guy who did read through his progressions and had a pretty good delivery. And yeah, he held on to the ball--because that f'in' defense sucked. He did pretty good. And he got injured--but I'm not going to hold being hit late by JJ Watt against him. Heck, I didn't even hold Locker responsible for the two Jets hitting him late. Every other time though.
He IS a statue, and destined to be a backup or bridge starter AT BEST. Holds the ball too long, slow delivery, and he isn't mobile. That means sacks and ints. Titans need a QB of the future. Mettenberger isn't it. Sorry.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 02:21:05 PM by Supeprime »

Propeus The Fallen

• +22/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2015, 11:08:17 AM »
Yeah. He played off. He played in the end of the season as a rookie when the team was going down and playing tougher opponents. I'm not going to blame any rookie QB who didn't start until that point to come in that late. I think he'll be much better next year. The guy is a competitor. And I don't think comparing him to Wilson is fair. I mean, you've got a Superbowl QB with a much better team and even better coaching staff. Johnny has The Browns. And is a rookie. Who only started the last of the year.

Tebow can play. Heck, he had no help from his coaching. I mean, how in the hell are you supposed to get in any sort of rhythm when it's run the ball two times, throw long? The reason why is fouth quarter numbers looked good was because he finally got to throw the stupid ball on first and second down! Plus, as I've said, no TE help at all. And Tebow won games, and Tebow beat the Pittsburgh Steelers in a playoff win. With good stats.

Well,the Jones thing is mute since he's going back to school, so we'll see what he does.

I liked what I say from Mettenburger. And that's from a guy coming back from less than a year from an ACL injury. So he had trouble with certain throws...like the pick six against the Steelers. Why the hell Wisenhunt did that the first play--rgghh. For a rookie, I don't think he held the ball too long. Especially with that horrible offensive line. He was easily the best thrower of the rookie QBs (style wise).I And he does move around in the pocket to avoid hits and he has great footwork. I think he can be a starter. I'd rather draft Leonard Williams in the first round. That defense needs help.

Prime

• +4/-24
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2015, 12:23:46 PM »
Yeah. He played off. He played in the end of the season as a rookie when the team was going down and playing tougher opponents. I'm not going to blame any rookie QB who didn't start until that point to come in that late. I think he'll be much better next year. The guy is a competitor. And I don't think comparing him to Wilson is fair. I mean, you've got a Superbowl QB with a much better team and even better coaching staff. Johnny has The Browns. And is a rookie. Who only started the last of the year.
No, he played god awful. I gave him a pass for Buffalo, but Cincinatti? 10 of 18 for 80 yards and two picks. Positively Tebowesque. The Bengals that were 13th against the pass, finished dead last in the NFL in sacks, near the bottom in 40 yard pass plays, in the bottom half in 20 yard pass plays. Manziel was garbage and I always knew he would be. Won't change much either, considering his work ethic and character are piss poor.

Tebow can play. Heck, he had no help from his coaching. I mean, how in the hell are you supposed to get in any sort of rhythm when it's run the ball two times, throw long? The reason why is fouth quarter numbers looked good was because he finally got to throw the stupid ball on first and second down! Plus, as I've said, no TE help at all. And Tebow won games, and Tebow beat the Pittsburgh Steelers in a playoff win. With good stats.
Please stop parroting bullshit about Tebow having no help. He had Demariyus Thomas, Eric Decker, Eddie Royal, Julius Thomas, Virgil Green, and Daniel Fells all on that 2011 squad AND HE COULD NOT CONSISTENTLY THROW THE FUCKING FOOTBALL. Any of the top 10-15 QB's in the NFL would throw for 4k yards and 20 tds with those pass catchers. Guaranteed. Tebow held back the Broncos passing offense, not the other way around. You think it's a coincidence Thomas' catch totals and yardage nearly TRIPLED (and like consistently nearly 90 catches, nearly 1500 yards, and double digit tds) when the Broncos traded away Tebow and signed Manning? And it's not like Manning does much for Thomas either. It's a lot of screens and short crossers that Thomas turns into YAC yards, like 7.9 a catch. Tim Tebow was fucking terrible.

Jesus.

Well,the Jones thing is mute since he's going back to school, so we'll see what he does

Him going back to school probably proves I'm right more than anything.

I liked what I say from Mettenburger. And that's from a guy coming back from less than a year from an ACL injury. So he had trouble with certain throws...like the pick six against the Steelers. Why the hell Wisenhunt did that the first play--rgghh. For a rookie, I don't think he held the ball too long. Especially with that horrible offensive line. He was easily the best thrower of the rookie QBs (style wise).I And he does move around in the pocket to avoid hits and he has great footwork. I think he can be a starter. I'd rather draft Leonard Williams in the first round. That defense needs help.
He will be nothing more than a career backup or bridge starter because he had a pro style background in college and can plug and play without being a complete novice when it comes to playing the QB position mentally. He isn't the answer at QB. As far as Leonard Williams, he should be great. But the Texans have the 2nd best NFL defensive lineman of all time on their team (Watt is playing at a level only Reggie White matched or exceeded) and they can't even make the playoffs. You don't have a QB, you don't win. Take Winston.

Propeus The Fallen

• +22/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2015, 07:38:03 PM »
Hey, I watched the Browns vs Bengals..noone on the Browns came to play that game. They just got the ball rammed down their throat. The offensive line went poof. I'm going to give Manziel next year to see what he can do. I don't think the Browns would start Hoyer again, so it should be Johnny's team.

I only consider one of them a pretty good reciever. It'd be two if the other Thomas--COULD NOT DROP THE FLIPPIN' BALL!!  And they were both rookies at the time, if I recall. You can't throw the frickin' ball if it's run up the middle first two downs and throw long on the third. That's impossible. And without TE as a security blanket! The Broncos had a losing record before Tebow took over and he got them in the playoffs. And like I said, look at his fourth quarter numbers. He actually got to stray from that idiotic formula.

I think Mettenburger can be a starter. So far, Russell Wilson is the only "running" QB I see as a success and he honestly has a lot of help. I don't get the big deal with Kapernick. Cam...How I want him to do well. Mett has the arm and accuracy. He'll be healthy and have full range of his throwing motion and his leg will be fully healed. I don't want because

1. I don't think he's that good. I wasn't impressed at all with this season. He made really dumb decisions and put his team in a hole against opposition the Seminoles should have beat soundly.

2. I don't trust his maturity. Jimbo Fisher gave him all the kisses and hugs and turned a blind eye to everything and let him get away with it. Had that with YV.

I'm happy with Mettenburger. He does well, yay! He sucks, get Jones next year. Maybe even fire that idiot GM and coach. So yeah, I like my line of thinking. :)
Plus the guy is already putting in the work and is the first in last out type person.

Besides, Winston is going to go to the Bucs, Mariota doesn't fit with what Wisenhunt wants.

Prime

• +4/-24
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2015, 12:34:56 PM »
Hey, I watched the Browns vs Bengals..noone on the Browns came to play that game. They just got the ball rammed down their throat. The offensive line went poof. I'm going to give Manziel next year to see what he can do. I don't think the Browns would start Hoyer again, so it should be Johnny's team.

The O-Line went poof because Manziel held the ball too long and ran all over the place like a headless chicken. Can't expect things not to break down when your QB can't play the position correctly.

I only consider one of them a pretty good reciever. It'd be two if the other Thomas--COULD NOT DROP THE FLIPPIN' BALL!!  And they were both rookies at the time, if I recall. You can't throw the frickin' ball if it's run up the middle first two downs and throw long on the third. That's impossible. And without TE as a security blanket! The Broncos had a losing record before Tebow took over and he got them in the playoffs. And like I said, look at his fourth quarter numbers. He actually got to stray from that idiotic formula.

Then you're dumb. Thomas is a top 5 receiver. Decker is a top of the line number 2, and a 1.5 on a good day, Eddie Royal is a very good 3/slot man to have. Size, speed, everything you could ask for and Tebow couldn't do shit with it. Steelers got burnt because their game plan was fucking IDIOTIC. Kept their safeties close to the line, left little to no help over the top, and watched their CB's get burnt by superior athletes in Thomas and Decker. To make matters worse, they BACKED UP their safeties in the red zone? WHAT?! Tebow got lucky, then went to NE against a smarter coach and got his shit pushed in...because he is terrible. Mind you the 2011 Pats defense was garbage.

I think Mettenburger can be a starter.
I hope you also think the Titans will be nothing more than mediocre. Because that is what Mettenberger is. Mediocre. Never will be anything more.

1. I don't think he's that good. I wasn't impressed at all with this season. He made really dumb decisions and put his team in a hole against opposition the Seminoles should have beat soundly.
Wrong. Had less talent, and pressed to make plays. There is plenty of tape when he does have the requisite talent around him to not have to press. You need to watch more closely.

2. I don't trust his maturity. Jimbo Fisher gave him all the kisses and hugs and turned a blind eye to everything and let him get away with it. Had that with YV.
100% legit concern, and the ONLY REASON WINSTON ISN'T A SLAM DUNK FIRST ROUNDER. Nothing on the field, only off. Winston is a FAR better Qb than Young ever was, and handles adversity WAY better. Even though Winston is an idiot and maybe a rapist? All the media firestorm and negative opinions of him? Winston never even blinked and let it affect his play or really his off the field day either. Negative press, a coach that didn't like him, and the fact that he was overrated as hell and sucked ruined Vince Young. You think Jameis really cares if a coach or the media likes him? Yeah, no he doesn't. Certainly not enough to let it affect his play.

Besides, Winston is going to go to the Bucs, Mariota doesn't fit with what Wisenhunt wants.
Not neccesarily. Mariota has zero ego and is one of the guys. Locker room will like him, and his attitude SCREAMS "coachable". Physically, he is a more polished Colin Kaepernick. Demeanor wise? He is more or less Joe Flacco or Eli Manning except even more quiet, and one of the guys where they are not. None of that Rg3 me, me, me stuff. I wouldn't blame a GM for taking a shot on Mariota, seems more malleable than most athletic spread QB's in recent memory.

Propeus The Fallen

• +22/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2015, 02:48:04 PM »
No. He didn't have time to throw it. He had two seconds. He held onto the ball later in the game, but they were down by several touchdowns, so I won't fault a rookie QB there.

Decker is not a top of the line number two. He's a three at best. A two if  you give him a Brady or Peyton level QB to elevate his game. And I didn't exactly see Mr. Number two WR in last year's Superbowl. Eddie Royal...well, I actually used to think he would be something more, but he's where he's at. He might give you a game, but not what he did his rookie year. And The Steelers had a perfect game plan because--THE BRONCOS DID THE SAME STUPID STUFF EVER YEAR. Before overtime started, I went to the bathroom and told my friends "run first down," came back to hear one cussing and the Broncos celebrating. Tebow throwing the ball on first down? Yeah, I don't blame anyone on that. They challenged Tebow to throw the ball, he did.

I'm willing to make an avatar bet that says Mettenburger will have a better season than Bridgewater.

I watched the playoffs and his biggest games on TV. I'm not impressed. I'm sorry, I don't think he'll be bad in the NFL, but I don't think he's worth a top first round draft pick for the Titans. Heck, I was really bothered when the majority of the Seminoles didn't follow his lead and shake the winners' hands. Makes me wonder about his leadership in the lockeroom.

I have a problem with his accuracy and durability. I've seen him take a few hits that bothered him for several plays later. Personally, I think the Eagles should try and move up to get him because...does anyone here really have faith in what they have now?

Prime

• +4/-24
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2015, 03:58:54 PM »
No. He didn't have time to throw it. He had two seconds. He held onto the ball later in the game, but they were down by several touchdowns, so I won't fault a rookie QB there.
Yeah, no.
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZVqMrITvyM
Late on his reads, holds the ball too long, release looked slow, shit fundamentals. He's terrible.

Decker is not a top of the line number two. He's a three at best. A two if  you give him a Brady or Peyton level QB to elevate his game. And I didn't exactly see Mr. Number two WR in last year's Superbowl. Eddie Royal...well, I actually used to think he would be something more, but he's where he's at. He might give you a game, but not what he did his rookie year. And The Steelers had a perfect game plan because--THE BRONCOS DID THE SAME STUPID STUFF EVER YEAR. Before overtime started, I went to the bathroom and told my friends "run first down," came back to hear one cussing and the Broncos celebrating. Tebow throwing the ball on first down? Yeah, I don't blame anyone on that. They challenged Tebow to throw the ball, he did.
Wrong. Definitely a very good number 2 receiver, one of the best #2 receivers out there. Size, hands, good speed. He can play. Miscast as a number 1 in NY with a god awful pair of QB's throwing him the ball, on top of an injury plagued season where he had pretty consistently been healthy his whole career.

Try again.

Royal can play, especially if he has a legit 1-2 ahead of him coverage has to account for, which Thomas and Decker definitely were. Tebow was terrible, inconsistent, and if you want to bet your franchise on something like that....I have a bridge I can also sell you.

I'm willing to make an avatar bet that says Mettenburger will have a better season than Bridgewater.
I don't bet on sports. But we both know you have made this proposition to me several times, and each time you've been wrong. Mettenberger can't hold Bridgewater's jock.

I watched the playoffs and his biggest games on TV. I'm not impressed. I'm sorry, I don't think he'll be bad in the NFL, but I don't think he's worth a top first round draft pick for the Titans. Heck, I was really bothered when the majority of the Seminoles didn't follow his lead and shake the winners' hands. Makes me wonder about his leadership in the lockeroom.

I have a problem with his accuracy and durability. I've seen him take a few hits that bothered him for several plays later. Personally, I think the Eagles should try and move up to get him because...does anyone here really have faith in what they have now?

Winston is EXTREMELY accurate, the fuck? And he never missed a game due to injury. He has plenty of ability, and he is extremely polished on the field. Presses to make plays, but it's indicative of the talent around him. Tampa would hit the ground running if they drafted him and fixed their O-Line with Mike Evans and Jax already in place. Titans...I could see Winston making it work with Kendall Wright and co. I think that O-Line will be ok, if Roos returns to form from injury and they kick Taylor Lewan back over to RT.

Master

• +38/-24
  • When is a raven a writing desk?
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2015, 08:49:51 AM »
So... PAC 12. Not looking strong at all.
9 outta 10 Masters are Master.

BigJayStudd

• +670/-0
  • 2015 Strider "Shittiest comeback" Award Winner
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2015, 08:56:59 AM »
So... PAC 12. Not looking strong at all.

I forgot they added Boise State this year. Anyways, Stanford looked like shit. AZ State was gonna take a step back. They had their shot last year when when they had a shitload of returning starters. USC and UCLA will still be good

Master

• +38/-24
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2015, 07:38:28 AM »
Tennessee blowing that decent lead on the Sooners? Ugh. Auburn and Notre Dame sucking balls? Expected. Arkansas losing to Toledo? Yikes.

SEC not looking too sharp.

Master

• +38/-24
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2015, 07:50:28 AM »
UGA got absolutely chumped on national TV. Uhhhhhhhyggggvghhhhghhhhhhhh...

Well, at least overrated Notre Dame lost.

Propeus The Fallen

• +22/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2015, 12:01:26 PM »
Tennessee blowing that decent lead on the Sooners? Ugh. Auburn and Notre Dame sucking balls? Expected. Arkansas losing to Toledo? Yikes.

What? The SEC's loaded. Hell to the Seminoles, Boston College was a super challenge. :)

And The Vols...sigh. I think I preferred it when we got blown out. Y'know, so I don't have my hopes dashed every week. Kinda feeling empty inside right now... :(

Master

• +38/-24
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 04, 2015, 03:21:11 PM »

What? The SEC's loaded. Hell to the Seminoles, Boston College was a super challenge. :)

And The Vols...sigh. I think I preferred it when we got blown out. Y'know, so I don't have my hopes dashed every week. Kinda feeling empty inside right now... :(

SEC East has Florida as its only quality team this year. Tennessee is ALMOST there, but there is still something missing. Georgia is stagnant. Vandy, SC, and Mizzou are garbage. Kentucky is not bad, but they aren't that good either.

SEC West has Alabama and LSU as their quality teams this year. And Alabama is not playing well enough currently to be a playoff contenders. Ole Miss isn't really that good. Alabama just utterly shit the bed with turn overs and one fluke play to LET Ole Miss win. Auburn sucks. Arkansas sucks. A&M is just OK. Miss State is just OK.

I think the SEC will have a team play in the championship game this year, but the conference as a whole is not great.