Herochat

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note that forum is still under construction.

heroes
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: College Football Discussion  (Read 6580 times)

GalactusTheGreat

• Mystery
  • A Beautiful Mine.
    • View Profile
Re: College Football Discussion
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2015, 05:18:26 PM »

Afterall, no means no Oregon. Hope they enjoy their fucking 3000 uniforms and 0 titles.

Imperial

• Was once the Greatest of All Time
  • Stonemason
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2015, 08:52:27 PM »

Was pulling for Oregon, but OSU's size was just too much for them. Congrats to the Buckeyes.

Avatar : Yvette Mimieux as Weena from The Time Machine
Sig : Yvonne Craig as Batgirl and....um....

Average John

• Stonemason
    • View Profile
    • The No Niche Blog
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2015, 01:23:34 AM »

OSU beating Bama first really is the great thing about it. SEC cockslobbers finally have nothing to say.

Propeus The Fallen

• Stonemason
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2015, 02:12:25 AM »

You know how you know you're the best? Even when you don't win, everyone else is jealous of you still. :P

GalactusTheGreat

• Mystery
  • A Beautiful Mine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2015, 03:56:43 AM »

Winston>Mariota anyday.

Prime

• I'm in there like swimwear...
  • Administrator
  • King
  • Av/Sig:Bria Myles
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2015, 03:59:12 AM »

Definitely.

Propeus The Fallen

• Stonemason
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2015, 05:52:01 AM »

Jones >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>both of them.

Master Tolkien

• Global Moderator
  • Crisis Actor
  • I write about dragons. Bitches love dragons.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2015, 05:07:33 PM »

Jones made a few mistakes, but for only having 2 prior starts, he was incredible.

Of the 10 villains, so far as things of this nature can be remembered going back afore the days the board crashes, 9 filled with dread and cursed in vain at the sight of Master.

Prime

• Administrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2015, 05:27:53 PM »

He has a higher ceiling than both of them, he's a quicker Big Ben. But Winston will be the best pro. Best passer of the group BY FAR.

Again. For emphasis. BY FAR

Propeus The Fallen

• Stonemason
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2015, 06:21:09 PM »

I disagree. Winston's going to have to work on his throwing motion for the NFL. Jones--wow, the ball gets out there.

I know this, I watched the college playoffs and Jones stood out. He stood out big. I wouldn't have a single problem with Jones being taken by the Titans with the second pick. Hell, we took Jake Locker with the 8th once. Go for it. He reminds me of Cam Newton without many of the flaws.

Prime

• Administrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2015, 06:50:12 PM »

I disagree. Winston's going to have to work on his throwing motion for the NFL. Jones--wow, the ball gets out there.

I know this, I watched the college playoffs and Jones stood out. He stood out big. I wouldn't have a single problem with Jones being taken by the Titans with the second pick. Hell, we took Jake Locker with the 8th once. Go for it. He reminds me of Cam Newton without many of the flaws.

PTF, PTF....when will you learn. How many times have you and I done this dance and I have been right? Like last year with Bridgewater and Manziel for instance? Tebow? Winston's throwing motion is a little long, nowhere near Byron Leftwich long, but long. That's fixable. Teaching someone to learn to throw with anticipation and accuracy is HARD. NFL is too fast and windows are too tight. Winston is already there and then some. As far as playing the QB position, Winston is LIGHTYEARS ahead of the rest of the QB class. Ohio State dared Mariota to throw from the pocket and he couldn't do it consistently enough to win. Jones has a shit ton of potential but he is RAW. Winston can hit the ground running and then some. I think he'll be the best pro. Jones with good coaching and desire can be on that level. He could easily be Big Ben 2.0....but he could also be Jamarcus Russell.

Propeus The Fallen

• Stonemason
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2015, 09:14:00 PM »

Yeah, Bridgewater did good. I even gave him credit for what he did, especially without AP But are you really going to hold Manziel going in the last bit of the season against him? That's not really fair. And I still think Manziel will be better than Bridgewater. If he does better than Manziel next year, I'll concede.

Tebow? You're going to use Tebow against me? I was the one, when Tebow got the starting job predicted the exact win-loss of the Broncos correctly! EXACTLY. And he got them in the playoffs and that was a team that had trouble at the offensive line and Tebow had no TE. And, as a Pats fan, you know how important it is to have a TE as a security blanket. Tebow had none. Heck, the play calling was horrible too. And check out his fourth quarter numbers. He made plays when he had to. And what does it say about a guy when John Elway--who grimaced every time Tebow won a game--had to get Peyton Manning to get rid of you. A HALL OF FAME, SUPER BOWL WINNING QB is what it took to get Tebow out of Denver!

And he just got sabotaged by the Jets. Rex Ryan had no intention of ever giving him a chance because of his man crush with Mark Sanchez.

I don't agree about Winston. How many games did he have multiple interceptions. I'll admit, the early games, I think that the team failed him, but the later games, he made a ton of bad decisions. I'm not going to hold the Ducks game against him. That was just weird. But I do think he's much better than Mariota. Heck, you need to mention durability because I don't think he can take big time hits. Same with RGIII.

You're right. He is raw. But look at the three games he won! I can't think of anyone else ever doing that. You can't tell me he did not leap out of the screen at you. I was just amazed in his game with Alabama. Him on third downs...wow. And I'm not saying start him immediately. I'm saying let him sit a year. Let Mettenburger start. Let Jones learn.

And I like Mettenburger! I think he could be better than Manziel and Bridgewater--if Wisenhunt isn't an idiot. But Jones--I just really liked what I say from him.

Prime

• Administrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2015, 10:02:49 PM »

Yeah, Bridgewater did good. I even gave him credit for what he did, especially without AP But are you really going to hold Manziel going in the last bit of the season against him? That's not really fair. And I still think Manziel will be better than Bridgewater. If he does better than Manziel next year, I'll concede.
He WILL do better than Manziel. Not even considering the fact that Manziel is absolutely terrible, he parties WAY too much. Not even remotely what a Pro QB should be like. He played backyard football at A&M, that shit doesn't work on the NFL level. And you clearly saw that.

Tebow? You're going to use Tebow against me? I was the one, when Tebow got the starting job predicted the exact win-loss of the Broncos correctly! EXACTLY. And he got them in the playoffs and that was a team that had trouble at the offensive line and Tebow had no TE. And, as a Pats fan, you know how important it is to have a TE as a security blanket. Tebow had none. Heck, the play calling was horrible too. And check out his fourth quarter numbers. He made plays when he had to. And what does it say about a guy when John Elway--who grimaced every time Tebow won a game--had to get Peyton Manning to get rid of you. A HALL OF FAME, SUPER BOWL WINNING QB is what it took to get Tebow out of Denver!

And he just got sabotaged by the Jets. Rex Ryan had no intention of ever giving him a chance because of his man crush with Mark Sanchez.
Tebow can't play. This is a FACT. Held back the Broncos offense more than he helped it. Demariyus Thomas is a top 3 Wideout in the NFL and he was rendered useless by Tebow's ineptitude at the QB position. Broncos played great defense, and the offense did just enough to win, plus won time of possession because of all the running it did. Tebow was awful, and that is why he is out of the League.

I don't agree about Winston. How many games did he have multiple interceptions. I'll admit, the early games, I think that the team failed him, but the later games, he made a ton of bad decisions. I'm not going to hold the Ducks game against him. That was just weird. But I do think he's much better than Mariota. Heck, you need to mention durability because I don't think he can take big time hits. Same with RGIII.

He had a lot less talent around him this season, and pressed to make plays. Not ideal, but again, FIXABLE. Winston is the real deal. Mariota will be more durable than RG3. Physically Mariota is basically Colin Kaepernick, he is slightly faster and has a live arm, but not a cannon like Kaepernick's. Also a more refined and accurate passer than Kaepernick was coming out of Nevada, but still obviously has a long way to go.

You're right. He is raw. But look at the three games he won! I can't think of anyone else ever doing that. You can't tell me he did not leap out of the screen at you. I was just amazed in his game with Alabama. Him on third downs...wow. And I'm not saying start him immediately. I'm saying let him sit a year. Let Mettenburger start. Let Jones learn.
Jones played 3 games, all of which he had a 200+ yard rusher in Zeke Elliot scaring the shit out of the opposing defense and a O-Line that jelled late and was absolutely MAULING people. Nowhere near the sample size needed to gauge his talent. Sure I think he has the potential to be a good, or even great pro. But it's all projection. Winston is a sure thing who has the quarterbacking foundation NFL teams are struggling to teach project QB's and failing. Winston speaks and act like a fucking idiot, and Mariota is polished, but Winston's quarterbacking IQ>>>>>>>Mariota's. Winston will be graduate level, Mariota's barely out of high school. Same with Jones, although Jones looks FAR more comfortable in the pocket than Mariota. But a lot of people would when they are generally kept clean.

And I like Mettenburger! I think he could be better than Manziel and Bridgewater--if Wisenhunt isn't an idiot. But Jones--I just really liked what I say from him.
Mettenberger was a fucking statue before he hurt his knee and is even more of one now. Leadfoot pocket passers with elongated deliveries (AND he likes to hold on to the ball too long and doesn't go through reads quickly...wow) don't become great or even GOOD starters in today's NFL. Just ask Byron Leftwich. Not to mention that Mettenberger benefited from playing with ELITE WR talent in college with Jarvis Landry and Odell Beckham Jr. Good luck with that.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 10:06:53 PM by Supeprime »

Propeus The Fallen

• Stonemason
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2015, 01:31:35 AM »

I'm not going to hold a rookie QB responsible when he's put in the last games of the season--especially when the Bengals just took the opening drive and rammed it down the Browns throat. The defense that was doing pretty good went away. Josh Gordon never made an impact. I think he'll do pretty good next season.

Tebow can play, Tebow DID play, TEBOW won. The reason Tebow played was because the Broncos sucked. I watched them against the Titans and that offensive line was horrid, Thomas wasn't what he is today, and Orton--well, he's a loser and a punk. The Broncos had a losing record. Tebow got put in finally, they got to the playoffs, they beat the Pittsburgh Steelers and Tebow actually did great throwing the ball. And that's with Fox's idiot run, run, throw for a long three idiot scheme and the RB fumbling the ball to get the Steelers back in the game. Jon Gruden, someone who ESPN has evaluate QBs coming into the NFL, has vocally stated he would love to have Tim Tebow as his starter.

You know who you kind of remind me of? J. Jonah Jamerson from Marvels. Y'know "If Spider-Man acts he's a vigilante, if he doesn't he's a coward." Winston didn't have the talent so his mistakes and loss are explained, Jones had a better team so what he did wasn't that impressive. That's not fair.

My problem with the Seminoles wasn't that they barely won...it was the teams they barely beat. C'mon, Florida gave them a fight. Florida. Florida had them on the ropes. They were being pushed by lots of teams they still had more talent then. OSU went into the playoffs and kicked butt. Being a QB is about doing what you can with what you have and what the other team will give you. Jones did that. When Alabama had him on those long third downs, I figured, he's in trouble--but he made the plays! And he kept doing it.
Winston made very bad mistakes against bad teams. And he came back--but he shouldn't have had to later in the season. I just saw poor decision making.

And I'm not saying Winston is going to not be great. He does have the potential. He's a winner. He finally lost a football game...and that was mainly because the team around him self destructed in one of the most weirdest ways ever. I just think Jones will be better. Just using the eye test, he leaped out of the screen. He played with poised, read his progressions, didn't eye any single one too long. He was in the biggest spotlight of his life and he thrived.

Mett isn't a statue. Is he going to run for twenty yards. No. But he will move around in the pocket to avoid a hit--and brother did he have to with that injury ridden o-line. And I saw a guy who did read through his progressions and had a pretty good delivery. And yeah, he held on to the ball--because that f'in' defense sucked. He did pretty good. And he got injured--but I'm not going to hold being hit late by JJ Watt against him. Heck, I didn't even hold Locker responsible for the two Jets hitting him late. Every other time though. :)

Imperial

• Was once the Greatest of All Time
  • Stonemason
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2015, 02:11:13 AM »

I only watched parts and pieces of the game. But going just on what I saw and replays, Mariota didn't have a lot of support at times. I saw several passes that hit his receivers right in the hands, chest, or stomach and they dropped them. Those go as incompletions but realistically they are on the not pass catchers. It is true that Mariota was off target in the red zone though.

Honestly Oregon is built to play a certain way. When they come up against an opponent that can effectively counter that and take them out of their style, they are not the same team.

Avatar : Yvette Mimieux as Weena from The Time Machine
Sig : Yvonne Craig as Batgirl and....um....
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6