Herochat

Erik Larsen Responds to Whiners

Jabroniville

• +4/-2
    • View Profile
Re: Erik Larsen Responds to Whiners
« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2015, 06:07:59 PM »

The new costume is still basically skin tight spandex it just covers her whole body. What so "butch" about the costume? If anything is butch its the hair and short hair if you're a fighter is pretty practical. Are the gloves and collar butch? I don't think so. The sash certainly isn't and that is a carry over from the last costume.

I don't disagree that the reasoning behind the push behind these changes are dumb. Its a lot of stupid people yelling over stupid unimportant stuff. I don't think Marvel and DC should be looked down on for making these changes if it makes them more money and gets more readers. And in the case of Captain Marvel and Batgirl I don't think the designs and the artist should be thrown under the bus when the costumes look pretty good. Especially in the case of Babs Tarr. IMHO the argument against the loudmouths and the quality of the work being produce, story and art wise, should be judged separately. I don't think we would be having this discussion about these designs if they just put them out there with zero controversy. Look at a character like Spider-Gwen. Zero controversy leading up to her. They just went and created a new female super hero with a sweet costume that everyone seems to like. If the stupid people were yelling that they wanted a female Spider-Man would she be getting lumped into this argument too?

That concept of it isn't as bad, and neither is the version other artists have drawn (as Larsen notes, an artist can skank up ANY design). But the costume as-shown within the comic itself was REALLY butch, especially once the mask came into play, as it gave her a friggin' MOHAWK and went out of its way to make her look less attractive. The whole "mohawked military-dress fighter" thing completely made her look butch boner-repellant.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 06:18:48 PM by Jabroniville »

AP

• +110/-55
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 01, 2015, 08:51:28 PM »
Larsen is a good artist. He was originally considered a McFarlane clone, but personally I like Larsen's Spider-Man art much more than McFarlane's. He doesn't have any more in common with Liefeld's art than Jim Lee does; in fact, I've never heard a Larsen/Liefeld's comparison in my life before this thread.

To Neo, I agree that a costume should be judged on it's merits. For example, I like both Big Barda's battle armor and her red bikini outfit. Both of them are good designs.

However, if a fan or (worse) a comics professional claims that a skimpy outfit is indicative of a misogynist "boy's club" that discourages women from comics, and that women are collectively in agreement on this issue, then that fan or creator deserves ridicule.

Yeah, Larsen is good.  Red is just a doody poo-head and Fly is Fly.

Jabroniville

• +4/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 02, 2015, 07:35:08 AM »
I think Larsen's art has gone way downhill since the early '90s. He started exaggerating things, and his work got a lot more sketchy and lost a great deal of dynamism in his poses. Also, I find it funny that he trashes Jim Balent's Catwoman while he himself drew absolutely every woman with a pencil-thin waist and GIGANTIC giga-tits.

MTL76

• +1133/-119
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 02, 2015, 07:45:55 AM »
Larson's art has become a lot more stylized, similar to Frank Miller, John Romita Jr., etc. All of these guys have their own style but have exaggerated it more and more over the years.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

AP

• +110/-55
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 02, 2015, 10:38:15 PM »
I think Larsen's art has gone way downhill since the early '90s. He started exaggerating things, and his work got a lot more sketchy and lost a great deal of dynamism in his poses. Also, I find it funny that he trashes Jim Balent's Catwoman while he himself drew absolutely every woman with a pencil-thin waist and GIGANTIC giga-tits.

Actually, his artwork got cleaner and less sketchy around the time he started doing Savage Dragon.  It wasn't until 2010 that he went back to a sketchier style.  I blame a lot of that on him coloring and lettering his own book these days, plus being the president of Image.  He admitted he had ot rush things.