Herochat

Marvel & DC suck right now

Whiskeyclone

• +5/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Marvel & DC suck right now
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2015, 06:47:01 PM »
Yeah I guess I should have checked that out by now.

Astro

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2015, 02:39:36 PM »
I'm not on the Ms. Marvel bus, I guess.

There is some strong character building, and some subtle character types and interactions  -- in that regard I'm impressed.

But as a superhero book I think it fails. Not only is much of the subtext stuff - validity of youth - super heavy handed, it's not very compelling, and none of the ways they're showing it is novel. I also tend to think the 'funny' / nerdy quips aren't actually clever. You can't compare it to something like Hawkeye, which is stronger on every level.

It's a strong character piece but I think you're going to start to see the book lose steam as none of the plots go anywhere, and I think Wilson is going to have some very serious problems expanding out in the superhero sub-genre. Which isn't a bad thing at all, as I think she'll probably end up doing her own kind of book, but I can already see that she's going to have a little BKV -- she'll not be very successful in superhero comics but on the back of Ms. Marvel I suspect she'll gain enough of a following to sustain a couple of creator owned books.

altoon

• +9/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2015, 04:31:41 PM »
For some reason I like the Avengers books with Cannonball, Smasher and Sunspot in them.