Herochat

Pick the element benders

scourge

• +36/-10
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
Pick the element benders
« on: March 02, 2015, 04:56:35 PM »
I'm right now watching Legend of Kora (great show if you never saw it), and while I could make a thread gushing about it, this is more interesting to me:

Pick a comic character to grant one of each bending types to. So four picks and which elements you give them and why. Each character gets one element, and you can pick an Avatar to have all five if you have one in mind. They'll have to perform the moves and be capable of the MA aspects. Who do you pick for

Earth
Fire
Air
Water

Then a separate pick for Avatar

boundtoflames

Re: Pick the element benders
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 05:06:16 PM »
Earth - Iron Fist, a solid fighter, very down to earth kind of guy.
Fire - Daredevil, no other reason than his costume is red.
Air - Moon Knight, seems to go well with airy element imo.
Water - Aquaman. nuff said.

Avatar - Karate Kid, he knows just about every style, very focused.

fangirl101

• +37/-57
  • Didn't see Wonder Woman yet so no spoilers BITCHES
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 05:11:38 PM »

Earth-Judo Master II
Fire-Iron Fist
Air-Black Canary
Water-Captain America

Then a separate pick for Avatar-Karate Kid

boundtoflames

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 05:13:33 PM »
Water-Captain America

Because he was frozen in ice, brilliant. Wish I had thought of that.

wowie

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 05:21:44 PM »
Earth - Punisher
Water - Mockingbird
Air - Falcon (aka Captain America)
Fire - X-23

Strawman Abridged

• +18/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 05:36:30 PM »
Earth:  Kingpin/Bane ( Hard-style Hardness )

Fire: Lady Shiva/Elektra ( Agreesive Chris Claremontian PASSION )

Air:  Deadpool/Nightwing ( Footloose Flippity flips )

Water: Dove/Shang Chi ( Tai-chi shit )

Gree

• +42/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 09:16:25 PM »
Give me some background, personalities, etc.

Deadpool

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 09:39:35 PM »
Earth iron fist minipulator of earths life energy

Fire nightcrawler with the swiftness of smoke

Air invisible woman befittingly

Water quicksilver, in its purest form

Avatar Taskmaster, cause thats the name of his ability.

Alphaduck

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 12:03:40 AM »
Earth: Thing. Tired of Richards' jokes and humiliations, he decides to form its own PI agency.
Why Earth bending? really? he is a big fucking piece of rock-earth stuff! that's why.
Also I thing he will be brutal earth smashing.

Fire: John Constantine. Pretty obvious choice, he will exhale more than smoke now. Thing will always need an alpha with brains to bully him, now he has a new one.

Air: Black Knight. A fast mind coupled with air bending and his sword makes good combo.

Water: Bruce Lee? joking, have no fucking idea on this one, pass... for now.

Avatar: Amadeus Cho. He has the perfect skills to dominate any martial art if he so chose. It'll be sick to see what creative stuff he can do with the avatar power. Also nobody likes him and nobody likes balds, so there's that.

They will go along just fine imho. Thing provides the clients and will be the heart of the group. John will be the strategic lider and they will go as a supernatural hero for hire team.

scourge

• +36/-10
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2015, 10:03:38 AM »
Some really amazing picks in this thread. I'd especially love to see Kingpin as an earthbender. Don't think a better pick for that exists.

Give me some background, personalities, etc.

Personalities vary but generally:

Earthbenders are very much about waiting for the perfect opening in combat--listening, waiting could be qualities associated. They generally take the most planted stance of the four, they're substantial, so mass isn't a bad way to think of that, but they certainly don't have to be large. Many/most are agile. Strikes are purposeful and foot work is very important. They tend to stomp the ground for a lot of moves, and while they're at their best on the ground, they can launch themselves into the air by sending the ground they're on into the air. Think fastball special.

Firebenders are more about offense than defense though they certainly aren't defenseless. They use a lot of thrusts, strikes in rapid succession. They can also incorporate the circular attacks with high arching kicks bringing fire down. They're about power. Overwhelm the opponent with their power could be a strategy, though again, alot of variation in strategies depending on individual. Besides fire, they're connected to sun. They can pseudo fly in short burst with rocket propulsion. They generate the fire, unlike the others who bend from world around them.

Airbenders are the most defensive by means of moving or reflecting with wind. They are often most pacifist, though can be rather hard to deal with on the offensive. They often build up lots of momentum and launch they're whole body in combat though can stand their ground with powerful gusts aimed at opponent. Almost like a more fluid, more mobile fire bending style. They're about freedom, lack of the material, all that monk like stuff. They're the most spiritually connected benders, Lots of spinning in the air and being very mobile.

Waterbenders are the most fluid, attack becomes defense and vice versa. They turn opponents strength against them sort. They use a lot of fluid tai chi looking hand movements, but they're not slow by any means. Can also get the leg work in too, just as earthbenders can get the arms in despite being more about the feet. Many use ice almost as much as water, often changing the state of the element in mid attack/defense. Change is their big thing. They're connected to the moon almost as much as they are water. Also quite mobile just like all the others. Can propel themselves in a mass of water or water spout. They can take moisture from air to some degree, but many travel with a little pouch of water. Gives more options.

SmeaGog

• +4/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2015, 12:02:38 PM »
Going purely by the above and some clips people posted ages ago:

Earth: The Midnighter - for a guy with his skillset, controlling the battlefield can go a long way towards achieving the best possible results.

Fire: Black Panther - sounds a fair bit like what I think of as his fighting-style, visually, while defensively of-course he's already taken care of. Mostly though, he goes well with my next pick, which is perhaps the most obvious --

Air: Storm - "spiritual" aerialist with a dash of martial-arts? Yeah, that sounds like Storm alright. No idea how much use these'd be in general, but if nothing else, the extra mobility should prove absolutely vital.

Water: Echo - Possibly the one martial-artist with the most purely reflective style in mainstream comics, over and above similar characters, or even actual telepaths.

Avatar: Flex Mentallo - will use the most unorthodox techniques to achieve by far the most heterogeneous results.

Gree

• +42/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2015, 03:48:30 PM »
Earth: Fat Cobra

Fire: Zealot

Air: Prince of Orphans

Water: Backlash

« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 03:51:20 PM by Gree »

scourge

• +36/-10
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2015, 01:11:32 PM »
I'll also give this a whirl.

Earth: Marv (Sin City). Stubborn and powerful. Marv often waits for the right moment to strike. He seems to think the right way for an earthbender. Takes things head on. Unyielding. He's big, but he also seems pretty mobile for someone his size making him all the better able to play with the range of things an earthbender can do. (honorable mention: Rictor)

Fire: Temugin. Just a really skilled fighter who's already familiar with channeling his internal chi for incredible effect. As firebenders first and foremost need to use their internal chi for the creation of fire, this guy seems set and could probably generate an inferno like it were nothing. Firebending would add a completely new set of options for him, and I see this fighting style working well with what he already has. If fire is all about power, I can't imagine that not working for this guy.
(honorable mentions: Pyro, Kid Loki, Ra's Al Ghul)

Air: Madrox. One of his dupes already became as close to an airbender as any Marvel character has come:
http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff516/Henchman4Hire/Madrox02-1.jpg . Add in the fact that they showed effect of many airbenders working together for the first time in Korra, and the idea of Madrox airbender just sparks my imagination. Usually I shy away from Madrox in threads, but these are my reasons for going with him here, all the more so because there were so few airbenders in the series, it somehow works that this guy is a one man nation of airbenders.

Water: Abe Sapien. Abe's a cool character and I like him but he's more or less the lil guy in terms of power inB.P.R.D. He's fast and he's quick, give him some waterbending and I could see him really excelling. He also seems to have the right mindset for a waterbender, besides the obvious connections that he's aquatic in nature.
(honorable mentions: Wolfsbane, Marina, Wonder Twins)

Avatar: Kitty Pryde. Kitty can fight, she'll do the right thing, she's got the connection to air (she walks on air), connection to the earth (passes right through it, almost like her opposite element), connection to fire via Lockheed (firebenders originally learned from dragons)... Water's a bit of a stretch, but if you think of it as the element of change (which it is), her inborn power is to physically change her state/density just as waterbenders do to water. I see her working hard to master all of them and doing what needs to be done. What's more, throw phasing as a defense into the mix and she'll be especially hard to contend with.

SmeaGog

• +4/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2015, 12:39:45 PM »
I'm a bit surprised no-one's mentioned Hiroim at all.

scourge

• +36/-10
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2015, 08:17:51 AM »
Hiroim would be a great pick