Herochat

VICE

LiquidSailor

• +50/-149
    • View Profile
VICE
« on: February 28, 2015, 02:58:20 PM »
I should have made this topic long ago, but the board went down and it wouldn't have mattered anyway.

Season 3 just began last night.  Basically what VICE is, is a group of guys who report on stories that the mainstream media either completely ignores, or doesn't do their jobs and actively investigates the subject they talk about.

The beginning of season 3 was last night, in which they talked about a new cancer treatment, which is actually a cure, rather than a treatment.  It exists, and has already been used on a few patients.  Very interesting stuff.

In past seasons, they've done stuff like gone to China to understand how people get married based on things like success and wealth, rather than feelings and love and all that.  A lot of guys can't find a woman either because they aren't financially as well off as others, or because their parents aren't wealthy.  In China, I think the contrast between men and women is like 30-1, the one being the woman.  So basically finding a bride is a bitch.  Not to mention the fact that in Chinese culture, you are expected to care for the elders of both families, which is why being financially well off is important.  People take out ads and stuff to sell their daughters to wealthy Chinese men, basically.

Another episode, they went to Russia to visit a small town not far from Chernobyl and looked at all the mutated babies.

In another, they went to some arab country and went to see how easy it was to buy weapons, from machine guns to RPGs.  It's really easy, in case you were wondering.

The show is just filled with a lot of shit that you wouldn't hear about otherwise, and generally will piss you off once you see it.  All the shit like Humvees and money we gave to the Iraqi people for example, they scrapped the Humvees and sold the parts for cash, and most of the time the money went back into enemy hands.

Watch Vice, and don't be a faggot.  It's on HBO.

DIGUSTING

MTL76

• +1111/-11
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
Re: VICE
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 03:47:18 PM »
Hipster trash.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

LiquidSailor

• +50/-149
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 03:55:51 PM »
Hipster trash.

Actually there is one guy they have that is complete hipster trash.  He weights like 120lbs, has the Weezer glasses, and just looks like a complete goon.

But I can look past it in this one instance, only because VICE is so good.

DIGUSTING

MTL76

• +1111/-11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 04:20:09 PM »
Nah I was kidding. I used to read them when all they were was a free magazine, back when I was living in Montreal. It's amazing what Vice has grown into.

I've seen the show and I like it enough, but not enough to watch it on the regular. I would watch it when I could use a friend's HBO Go account but the fuck cancelled it.

LiquidSailor

• +50/-149
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 04:42:28 PM »
The solution to every such problem:

Torrent.

DIGUSTING

MTL76

• +1111/-11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 06:33:50 AM »
Agreed, but that's how neutral I am about the show. It's not compelling enough for me to spend the minute to download an episode.

They did have a few eps that I would have DL'd if I didn't have the password at the time: the North Korea one, the one about the fake city/training camp in the Middle East for "anti-terrorist" army troops.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 06:35:37 AM by MTL76 »