Herochat

Best thing you read since HeroChat existed last?

Rufio

• +5/-7
    • View Profile
Re: Best thing you read since HeroChat existed last?
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2014, 12:06:49 AM »

Why The West Rules - For Now by Ian Morris. Amazing world history that follows up on Guns, Germs, and Steel's premise but adds an archeologist's perspective. Also a futurist book at the same time. It's crazy to read and realize how bizarre the modern world is in comparison to all of our ancestors' experiences. Also funny.

The Better Angels of Our Nature by Steven Pinker. Very meticulous, logical, and historically complete argument that we're living in the most peaceful time in human history. At the end, he adds in neuroscience and compares different explanations for the decline, seeing how each of them stack up against the evidence. It's worth the read just for the reminder of all the forms of violence that were part of daily life for most societies in history. Some of the torture methods and different forms of entertainment are mind boggling.

nu-safado

• +6/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2014, 04:51:16 AM »
I have a hard time wrapping my mind around that kind of torture as a real, everyday occurrence SMH

At some point I want to research it just to see how people survived and lived day-today knowing that such a thing was a very real possibility for them in their lifetimes as a bitter end and how did they deal with a death like that?????

It bothers me to know how people are executed by gangs in modern times here (burned in tires with diesel oil). Fairly common around here.

Clock

• +5/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2014, 09:57:08 PM »
On a scale of 1 to drowned in the ocean, how was it?

I'll give it a mauled by seagulls.

issue9mm

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2014, 10:30:04 PM »
Oh, that reminds me that I watched "Ready Player 1" during our hiatus.  That was surprisingly good.

I expected, from the description, that I would hate it within two chapters, but instead, within two chapters I was totally hooked. 

I wouldn't call it high art, but a fun, compelling read it definitely was.

Columbos Right Eye

• +0/-0
  • In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2014, 01:39:57 PM »
The Psychopath Test by Jon Ronson. Fascinating stuff an not nearly as plodding or complicated as you might expect. Such is Ronson's style.
I gotta take off this coat. I can't think in this coat...THE COAT, I can't think in the coat

Bran Mak Morn

• +16/-15
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2014, 11:20:27 PM »
I'm finally tackling American Gods

At least once a year I have the urge to re-read that novel.

Last Gaiman I read was ,The Ocean At The End Of The Lane.
A good read but pity a fast one too.