Herochat

Times you gave up or about gave up on a comic

Propeus The Fallen

• +37/-6
    • View Profile
Times you gave up or about gave up on a comic
« on: April 13, 2019, 10:18:35 PM »
What comic series finally made you tap out and say this wasn't worth it anymore?

Not BAMF

• +23/-15
    • View Profile
Re: Times you gave up or about gave up on a comic
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 02:27:41 AM »
Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps #17
https://gotstratosphere.com/2019/04/23/show-4-23-19-the-avengers-quiz-show/ (A review of NextWave, and our MCU quiz challenge!)

Riv1

• +78/-1066
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 05:17:57 AM »
The sixth or seventh issue of Bruce Jones’ Hulk run.

Bran Mak Morn

• +18/-15
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 05:49:19 AM »
The time Constantine came to Australia to fight the Aboriginal Dream Serpent.
"It's like trying to teach a pig to sing.
It won't work & you just end up annoying the pig."
-Judge Judy.

AP

• +135/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 06:47:19 AM »
I never quite went back to reading Spider-Man on a regular basis after Clone Saga.  Obviously, the Clone Saga wrapped up after a few years but by then, I was getting into Savage Dragon, Hellboy, Vertigo, etc.  I didn't have the time or money to get Spidey comics.  I'd still pick up the odd issue or snag back issues here or there but it wasn't a regular thing.  As I've gotten furthe rinto adulthood, comic reading has dwindled even more. :(

Riv1

• +78/-1066
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2019, 07:19:55 AM »
Yeah the clone saga was rough. That and one more day just killed Spidey for me until recently.
The Nick Spencer book is about as close to what i want from spidey as possible i think, though.

ProjectCornDog

• +17/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2019, 10:32:10 AM »
Recently after Daniel Slott's run of Spidey, of course shit went down and Spidey lost his high tech suit and returned do his boring do nothing special spandex costume.

Is it wrong to expect more from an adult Peter? I figured thats why we had Miles around, so we could get a different perspective from a younger Spider-Man.

Propeus The Fallen

• +37/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2019, 12:51:27 PM »
Well, we still have Spider-Man loving J Jonah--but honestly, Spidey doesn't feel right when he's not with MJ. I wish they'd undo OMD, but that probably won't happen until Joe Q is no longer with Marvel. His hatred for red heads in love is just too strong. :)

And for mine

IDW TMNT.  It's just...nothing happens. You get maybe a good to great issue then you have about five issues that that nothing happens or sets up something that will happen in about five or ten years. Plus the writing isn't all that good. Like I'm supposed to believe Karai is a good person when all she ever did was horrible things. And the art can be bad at times. And I hate what they've done to some of my favorite villains like Null and Bishop. WTF.

MMPR is nearing this. Beyond the Grid is bad. The writing is bad, like not nailing any of the characters. Anyone who watched Dinocharge and reads this comic would not recognize Heckyll.  Another example is Cam who should be a snarky little smart ass tech genius martial arts bad ass who is...best I can describe him is generic with moments of trying to be the funny guy.  The art is horrible and the panel layout makes my eyes bleed. Example of the art is...there were two African American male rangers in a panel and the only reason I could tell them apart was because one was wearing a cowboy hat and I've a huge PR fan. Anyone who's not...you're on your own.

And you have a ton of depowered rangers who don't do anything save for Karona and mentions of Mia being a bad cook. Yeah, I'm kind reaching.

I guess what bothers me is that is an awesome concept, interesting characters, new setting, but it's not done right. And that's what bothers me so damn much! I should love reading these characters and how the interact, but I'm bored with them!

I'm going to stick with it because it's ending soon with a new creative staff coming in but...

Poor Magna Defender what are doing to you? :(

Dlbiininja

• +120/-14019
  • Destroyer of father of socks self-esteem
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2019, 12:55:13 PM »
Fantastic four.  Think late to mid '90's with the rogue watcher shit.   They just really lost it for me. 
My negative Karma correlates to the amount of butthurt I've caused you! 
blowmeuptom.com/   https://www.facebook.com/tomleykisshow/
http://garyanddino.com/ 

MTL76

• +1141/-119
  • Knives in the senate house?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2019, 02:28:25 PM »
OMD did it for me for Spider-Man. Clone Saga was awful but was easily and quickly undone and led to some cool new characters. If they had planned it from the beginning, it would actually have been pretty cool; the Jackal messing with Zpeter’s head like that.

But OMD showed such a disregard for the characters. And it was lazy.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

Accel

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2019, 03:16:57 PM »
Yeah OMD was character-destroyingly bad full stop.  Spider-Man/Peter Parker will always be one of my favorite characters ever, but OMD made me stop caring altogether for him, at least in the modern comics.

HalloweenJack

• +43/-10
  • Rowdy AF
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2019, 05:54:42 PM »
Fantastic four.  Think late to mid '90's with the rogue watcher shit.   They just really lost it for me.

For me it was about the time of Heroes Return, when they got about 10-12 issues into Claremont's run, and it just didn't seem fun anymore.

Likewise I kinda gave up on Jurgens' Thor run around the time Malekith was beaten a little too easily for my liking. I hung on a few more issues, but I quit around the time Surtur was coming back.

Bran Mak Morn

• +18/-15
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2019, 10:44:18 PM »
I started reading/collecting comics since 1984.

However the last 15 years or so I became disappointed that the style of writing juz didn't seem to change or mature much at all.

Also artists relying too much on computer graphic programmes...although looking good...juz felt less of the teamwork effort I always admired.

Then to browse a Batman comic now & to find him still fighting the same rogues gallery juz feels so meaningless.
"It's like trying to teach a pig to sing.
It won't work & you just end up annoying the pig."
-Judge Judy.

Red Exodus

• +15/-23
  • The one you've been smashing for!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2019, 11:20:30 AM »
Bendis touching the Avengers franchise and shitty events like Civil War.

Riv1

• +78/-1066
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2019, 07:02:30 PM »
^^^well if we’re going there, i gave up comics completely because of the over use of events (more Marvel) and the incessant reboots and gutting characters’ personalities (more DC).
Took years to get back to collecting.