Herochat

Star Wars Episode IX: Rise of Skywalker teaser

HalloweenJack

• +43/-10
  • Rowdy AF
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars Episode IX: Rise of Skywalker teaser
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2019, 07:18:48 PM »
I'm sure I'll see it, but it's not a priority to me.

AP

• +135/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2019, 07:48:45 PM »
I will probably rent or stream it.

Bran Mak Morn

• +18/-15
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2019, 08:48:26 PM »
Fat Lando makes the Falcon look like a space mobile scooter for disables.
"It's like trying to teach a pig to sing.
It won't work & you just end up annoying the pig."
-Judge Judy.

-K-M-

• +14/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2019, 10:33:29 PM »
Yeah it’s kind of sad. I was so excited about last Jedi and after watching it I left disappointed and killed my excitement for the next movie

Even with this trailer my hype level is low right now. Hopefully that changes

Thanos6

• +22/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2019, 08:20:27 AM »
It's about time we see Lando again.
Truten forever!

Bandido

• +10/-2
  • I can't let you do that Starfox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2019, 02:58:11 PM »
Fat Lando sounds like a craft beer.

Fifthchild

• +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2019, 10:16:55 PM »
Theres obviously been a lot of debate about whether people not really liking Last Jedi much was due to a handful of nerds and bots or whether there really was a huge disconnect between critics and audiences on their assesment of the film.

Im not sure how accurate this tally is but if true i think it demonstrates a pretty shocking decline in the degree of interest/hype around this franchise. Trailer views in the first 24 hour has become a semi-decent metric for gauging audience excitement and with that in mind the only figures i have found so far have the Ep IX teaser getting 16 million views in that time frame:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-14/new-star-wars-episode-ix-trailer-attracts-millions-of-views/11001512

Now this is just a teaser and not a trailer and this number may be unofficial and underestimate things....but compare that to this list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most-viewed_online_videos_in_the_first_24_hours#Top_trailers

The Ragnarok teaser got 136 million views a couple of years ago. The Last Jedi trailer got 120 million views later that year. Obviously those numbers dont correlate exactly with how much money each film made but i think this is the first evidence that there may be a real "eh" feeling about this franchise that is very, very hard not to attribute to the last film. I dont think this would be a particularly controversial point but its become an article of faith amongst most people reiewing and talking about these films in a professional capacity that there was no real backlash outside of a few bitter, angry old fans and that the fact that it still made a lot of money proves that ordinary people really enjoyed it.

Bandido

• +10/-2
  • I can't let you do that Starfox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2019, 01:58:54 AM »
Theres obviously been a lot of debate about whether people not really liking Last Jedi much was due to a handful of nerds and bots or whether there really was a huge disconnect between critics and audiences on their assesment of the film.

Im not sure how accurate this tally is but if true i think it demonstrates a pretty shocking decline in the degree of interest/hype around this franchise. Trailer views in the first 24 hour has become a semi-decent metric for gauging audience excitement and with that in mind the only figures i have found so far have the Ep IX teaser getting 16 million views in that time frame:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-14/new-star-wars-episode-ix-trailer-attracts-millions-of-views/11001512

Now this is just a teaser and not a trailer and this number may be unofficial and underestimate things....but compare that to this list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most-viewed_online_videos_in_the_first_24_hours#Top_trailers

The Ragnarok teaser got 136 million views a couple of years ago. The Last Jedi trailer got 120 million views later that year. Obviously those numbers dont correlate exactly with how much money each film made but i think this is the first evidence that there may be a real "eh" feeling about this franchise that is very, very hard not to attribute to the last film. I dont think this would be a particularly controversial point but its become an article of faith amongst most people reiewing and talking about these films in a professional capacity that there was no real backlash outside of a few bitter, angry old fans and that the fact that it still made a lot of money proves that ordinary people really enjoyed it.
I wouldn't say it's a given people enjoyed it, but the saw it. TFA mined nostaliga pretty hard.

Current run of movies is far worse than the prequels. They were atleast entetaining, and had some precedent for characters we cared about.

Finn should have been the main character, a non-force sensitive former Storm Trooper? Now that would have been intriguing and compelling.

Kallor

• +8/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2019, 02:38:42 AM »
Current run of movies is far worse than the prequels.

That's a strong statement, though I understand where you're coming from.  I'd say the prequels have a good story but terrible execution, and the sequels have strong presentation but are creatively pretty empty.  How one prioritizes those elements will determine which set they enjoy more. 

AP

• +135/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2019, 07:20:32 AM »
I'd say the prequels have a good story but terrible execution, and the sequels have strong presentation but are creatively pretty empty.  How one prioritizes those elements will determine which set they enjoy more.

That is a good assessment.

Gree

• +47/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2019, 11:29:31 AM »
I think the prequels were worse

MTL76

• +1141/-119
  • Knives in the senate house?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2019, 11:38:19 AM »
I remember disliking the prequels when they came out but enjoying them more when I rewatched them last year. I think the first time around I was expecting movies similar to the original trilogy. The prequels are very different in mood and atmosphere. They are operatic, and as subtle as a punch to the face, and the acting is very over the top, but once you get over that there’s quite a bit to enjoy. More importantly, they stand or fall on their own. They don’t rely on nostalgia for the first trilogy. They are epic in scope, which makes the over the top acting seem appropriate. The visuals are awesome, you can tell a lot of thought went into even the small details, like a transport ship that only appears once.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

XerxesTWD

• +107/-27
  • You can't park here, buddy. Earth is closed today.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2019, 11:55:04 AM »
The prequels had phenomenal worldbuilding and some good acting (Ian McDiarmid chief among those, obviously). Lucas is a great idea man and overall director, he's absolutely terrible with dialogue, regardless of trilogy.

MTL76

• +1141/-119
  • Knives in the senate house?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2019, 12:00:31 PM »
The prequels had phenomenal worldbuilding and some good acting (Ian McDiarmid chief among those, obviously). Lucas is a great idea man and overall director, he's absolutely terrible with dialogue, regardless of trilogy.

What made me rewatch them (the second and third ones, not the first) was initially watching clips of McDiarmid on YouTube. He was so good as the Emperor. He stole every scene he was in.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

Fifthchild

• +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2019, 12:18:58 PM »
I remember disliking the prequels when they came out but enjoying them more when I rewatched them last year. I think the first time around I was expecting movies similar to the original trilogy. The prequels are very different in mood and atmosphere. They are operatic, and as subtle as a punch to the face, and the acting is very over the top, but once you get over that there’s quite a bit to enjoy. More importantly, they stand or fall on their own. They don’t rely on nostalgia for the first trilogy. They are epic in scope, which makes the over the top acting seem appropriate. The visuals are awesome, you can tell a lot of thought went into even the small details, like a transport ship that only appears once.

Yeah theres a few movies that are more or less critically reviled that I quite like once you accept that there are some aspects to it that are bad and then more or less ignore that. And i can admire the prequels as essentially being a dark mirror of Luke's journey in the OT.

I think the new trilogy suffers tremendously from the crazy fact that they had no overarching idea for how the three movies would go and just brought on a completely new person for each movie to do whatever they wanted and then hand it onto someone else (if they didnt get fired first).

The Last Jedi might be an OK movie on its own but its a clusterfuck of a film as the second act in a trilogy. It basically took the only interesting plot points from the first film and blew them up for the sake of cheap thrills and Rian Johnson's need to invert plot points from earlier films or subvert expectations. I think Abrams will make a solid film but The Last Jedi left nothing for him from a storytelling perspective except to have the good guys beat the bad guys and possibly resolve the Finn/Rey/Rose love triangle thing.

Theres obviously something seriously wrong at the producer level given that they have fired/replaced the director on 3 out of 5 of the new films, twice when production was all but complete.