Herochat

HBO Andre The Giant documentary

Sick Nick

• +10/-2
    • View Profile
HBO Andre The Giant documentary
« on: April 11, 2019, 09:23:15 AM »
Anyone see this? I just watched it last night and wondered what everyone thought?

They got some REALLY big names involved here and I loved a lot of the old-school footage. Funny that Andre’s billed height of 7’4’’ was thrown around throughout willy-nilly, except by Vince himself, who said he thought Andre was taller than 7’0’’. Hogan managed to dial down the usual BS but I could’ve done without 1-2 mins of the doc being devoted to the Hulkster’s rise to prominence … they could’ve had a 10 seconds of footage with some supporting voiceover about his popularity but instead we got a Hogan promo video.

I like that, alongside Vince, Hogan, Okerlund and Flair, we got plenty of input from Dave Meltzer, although they kept a leash on him exposing some of the bigger myths surrounding Andre; right after this, I watched Meltzer’s section on the Tributes 2 DVD answering a few questions about the Giant and he was quick to shoot down many of the drinking stories as being exaggerated. Tim White’s reminiscences were heartbreaking.

Would’ve been nice to have seen Big Show on there, nobody was a bigger fan of Andre than him. I also read an article recently with lots of comments on Andre from DiBiase, Jake and Duggan – they had a hell of a lot more personal experience with the Giant than Flair, so it would’ve been nice to have seen them included.

Shane McMahon’s got some fucking big arms, hasn’t he?
Hyrkanian Badass

He'll be buying drinks all night then.

Riv1

• +78/-1066
    • View Profile
Re: HBO Andre The Giant documentary
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 09:26:08 AM »
I watched it a while back. His later years/eventual death were hellla sad.

I did like the Princess Bride stories though.

Red Exodus

• +15/-23
  • The one you've been smashing for!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 10:19:15 AM »
The most shocking thing in that doc was seeing Vince get emotional over
him and calling him "special."

Sick Nick

• +10/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 12:22:39 PM »
I still can't believe Billy Crystal and Arnold contributed to the doc, even if for about 30 seconds each.

Cary Elwes was allegedly really good friends with Andre and remains in touch with his daughter. Class act, that Cary.

Yeah, Vince coming close to shedding a tear took me by surprise. Same with Hogan
Hyrkanian Badass

Riv1

• +78/-1066
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 05:41:45 PM »
^^^PPL tend to surprise you dont they?

The doc did a good job of showing how difficult it was for Andre in a normal sized world. Traveling, eating, even just sitting around.

Sick Nick

• +10/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2019, 04:40:05 AM »
I have to admit, it did. I remember seeing El Gigante in a squash match in WCW and commentator Lance Russell kept talking about the problems he had with everyday life. Gigante was much taller than Andre but WAY slimmer ... that pic of Andre on a flight, taking up two seats and looking uncomfortable and unhappy really hit home. Then they started talking about how he couldn't fit into the airplane toilets and had to dump in a bucket ... that must've been humiliating

That plus the fact he couldn't take a day off, outside of going to his adopted home in North Carolina, where everyone was used to him.

I'm not Andre's biggest fan, he was a complete arsehole to a lot of people and a lot of people give him a free pass because he's Andre. The guy WAS in a pain a lot of the time though and everyday life must've been really difficult for him. It's probably easier for Big Show now and he's not in the constant agony Andre was in.
Hyrkanian Badass

Riv1

• +78/-1066
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2019, 05:43:50 AM »
Yeah, i dont think i’d be able to handle those particular curveballs any better if life had thrown them at me.

Gree

• +47/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2019, 10:53:49 PM »
Was really surprised by Vince

Mightily Oats

• +80/-582
  • Master of Fagnetism
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2019, 11:25:37 PM »
He's been getting 4 hours of sleep for 70 something years and is starting to look like a muppet.

Melting down emotionally is actually less expected for me, from him, than seeing him break down over someone who made him a truly stupid amount of money.

Sick Nick

• +10/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2019, 04:09:51 AM »
Could've been crocodile tears, of course. I just can't imagine this guy knowing any emotion, apart from sheer rage and jealousy when WCW was kicking his arse in the ratings and childish mirth whenever he sees a 300lb hillbilly or has the opportunity to get one of his staff to wrap their lips around his buttcheeks on camera.

I agree he's looking downright weird. Looks like he's had some work done. His eyelids look like they're attached to a puppet master's strings, they seem to be trying to journey to the stars. He looks like one of those background muppets who used to pop up on Sesame Street wearing a fedora and dancing by waving their arms around randomly.
Hyrkanian Badass

Gree

• +47/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2019, 09:28:30 PM »
He’s definitely had work done

Riv1

• +78/-1066
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2019, 01:22:18 AM »
I hear he might have even used steroids once.

Sick Nick

• +10/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2019, 10:48:19 AM »
I always liked how Foley openly mocked Vince in his book for wearing a shirt that was three sizes two small for him when he ref'd Austin vs Mankind
Hyrkanian Badass

Red Exodus

• +15/-23
  • The one you've been smashing for!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2019, 12:06:58 PM »
I hear he might have even used steroids once.

"Once?"

Riv1

• +78/-1066
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2019, 02:49:21 PM »
Its what i heard...

...ssshhh