Herochat

Best physiques in wrestling history

Sick Nick

• +10/-2
    • View Profile
Best physiques in wrestling history
« on: April 09, 2019, 10:02:53 AM »
A thousand apologies for what is probably the gayest thread this forum has ever seen but I thought this was pretty interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRW2d-jg9j8

What do you guys think? It’d be nice to see some justification beyond ‘I used to watch this guy and I thought he looked so kewl!!1!’ and ‘this guy used to be a bodybuilder at some point’ but honestly it’s tough to argue against any of these wrestlers being included. Benoit was maybe the only guy here who wasn’t known for his physique but he was insanely built in his WWE days. Rude would look slim stood alongside anyone else here but his abs were crazy and unlike Johnny Impact, he was a BIG guy – he just didn’t look big when he was staring down the Ultimate Warrior. Steiner’s the only guy whose body gets any criticism aesthetically but his arms looked synthol-filled balloons and before his car accident, the rest of him was huge too.

I’d expected Tony Atlas to finish higher, the guy won more bodybuilding championships than any other successful pro wrestler and his lat-to-waist ratio was off the charts. Batista deserved to finish high, I’ve seen a lot of bodybuilders say that he has the best genetics of any pro wrestler they’ve seen.

Lex Luger is a big omission for me. Another, but more understandably so, was Achim Albrecht AKA Brakkus from the late 90s … basically a monster jobber who was a highly successful bodybuilder earlier in the decade. Then there’s Brian Cage but I’m not sure whether this list is limited to WWE guys only.

NB: this is 'best physique' from a bodybuilding perspective. Like the guy said, somebody like Lesnar wouldn't qualify under those conditions, even if he was the legit toughest guy out there. I've often seen people say Ricky Steamboat and Randy Savage had the best wrestling physiques because they were muscular but still looked streamlined and agile, and could move like lightning in the ring.
Hyrkanian Badass

He'll be buying drinks all night then.

pittfox

• +5/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Best physiques in wrestling history
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 06:57:39 AM »
If it's only looking cool or charismatic I'd say Brock. In terms of best wrestling physique probably Cesaro.

Riv1

• +78/-1066
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 07:05:19 AM »
brock looks like a ahaved gorilla, please. ::)

Taiji Ishimori’s short (5’4”), but built great. I’d put him in the top five of any list i made of current wrestlers.

pittfox

• +5/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 08:04:22 AM »
Looking like Brock doesn't turn heads more than other people based on looks only? There are guys very comparable in size, but his look makes him look dangerous or something. As for the body building thing this would almost have to be Lex.

Riv1

• +78/-1066
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 08:14:06 AM »
Thats not what the OPs asking for; it even touched on why brock wouldnt qualify.

pittfox

• +5/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2019, 08:36:16 AM »
I know the OP also praised Macho Man and Ricky Steamboat as well which makes less sense to being up as well. I also prefaced my post as well.

Riv1

• +78/-1066
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2019, 08:39:31 AM »
Uh huh

Wyntyr

• +116/-83
  • Literally The Devil
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2019, 10:11:37 AM »
Rick Rude
The tree grows high but the oxygen fails to reach all the branches

Sick Nick

• +10/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2019, 12:26:20 PM »
I know the OP also praised Macho Man and Ricky Steamboat as well which makes less sense to being up as well. I also prefaced my post as well.

I said they had a great build for wrestling (apart from Macho in the twilight of his career, when he looked nearly as overstuffed as Scott Steiner) but they aren't close to having the best bodybuilding physiques in wrestling. Nor's BRAWK! He's got immense traps and thighs and is huge but he's built more like a strongman. Bobby Lashley always gets called 'Black Lesnar' but he's way more defined and ripped than BRAWK!

Rob Terry might be in with a shot, he was enormous
Hyrkanian Badass

Riv1

• +78/-1066
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2019, 05:57:47 PM »
I wouldnt put brock, Hogan, or even Big E on a best physique list. Huge guys, but their proportions are all over the map.

Wyntyr

• +116/-83
  • Literally The Devil
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2019, 09:31:58 PM »
Rob Terry is definitely up there

Chris Masters

Cage?
The tree grows high but the oxygen fails to reach all the branches

Gree

• +47/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2019, 09:41:31 PM »
I feel like Warlord never gets enough love, he makes Lesnar look small.

Doesn’t fit in the OP however.

Rick Rude, I think

Sick Nick

• +10/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2019, 04:11:28 AM »
I feel like Warlord never gets enough love, he makes Lesnar look small.

Doesn’t fit in the OP however.

Exactly. If anyone's ever talking about the biggest muscular physiques in wrestling, Warlord should be one of the first names mentioned. He was Batista's hero, after all. He was never close to shredded though, even though his traps were like a mountain ridge.

Rick Rude, I think

Changing the subject a bit, I've been reading some interesting stories about what a tough guy Rude was recently. On top of being somebody you wanted on your side in a bar room brawl, he was so good at armwrestling that he could hold  Road Warrior Animal steady ... with Animal using two hands to Rude's one.
Hyrkanian Badass

Sick Nick

• +10/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2019, 04:12:17 AM »
Rob Terry is definitely up there

Chris Masters

Cage?

Mason Ryan was another guy who came to mind ... another Welsh man-mountain who came up around the same time as Rob Terry. He wasn't as cut as Rob though.
Hyrkanian Badass