Herochat

DCCU Shazam vs MCU Iron Man

AP

• +135/-56
    • View Profile
Re: DCCU Shazam vs MCU Iron Man
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2019, 11:21:55 AM »
In Infinity War, Thor swung Rocket’s pod around and braced himself against the Star Forge to open it up.  That is a massive strength strength feat.

https://youtu.be/wKVHB2h1C7c?t=193

I don't see Tony pulling that off.

Additionally, Thor fought Hulk barehanded twice.  And while he was gradually getting into trouble, Tony was reluctant to even make an attempt using standard armor.  That's why he had to invent the Hulkbuster.  Thor is a good 4-5 times stronger than Tony on average.

Thor has always had a power creep since Avengers 1

I think it has more to do with the filmmakers wanting to showcase his strength more.  Throughout the first four or five movies appearances, Thor was never given a situation in which his strength was showcased except when he fought guys like Hulk and Iron Man who had a few lifting feats and stuff to their names.  Most of Thor's best strength feats were with Mjolnir up until he lost it in Ragnarok.

Twirling Rocket's pod around in Infinity War or ripping spaceships open in Ragnarok are very much in line with what we saw in Avengers.  He just never got the chance to do it.

NeoGreenLantern

• +101/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2019, 11:31:38 AM »
So you think Ironman looked 4 times as powerful as he did in IM2 then?

It’s pretty plain as day my amigo. This mimicked the nearly identical comic scene.

Not sure why you’re dying on this hill. Take a step back and reevaluate it with a clear head

I don't think he looked 4 times as powerful. Imho it just looks like he's going all out.

Not BAMF

• +23/-15
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2019, 12:01:21 PM »
You really don't think the clear intent of the scene, even if they used a poor method to say it--even if that's not what you think batteries do or what-have-you--was that the lightning made him more powerful? Whether it's precisely 4x or not, whatever. But you don't think that was the blatant intent of the scene?

Because it always seemed obvious to me that the point was he got more powerful from it.
https://gotstratosphere.com/2019/04/23/show-4-23-19-the-avengers-quiz-show/ (A review of NextWave, and our MCU quiz challenge!)

Gree

• +47/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2019, 12:08:31 PM »
You really don't think the clear intent of the scene, even if they used a poor method to say it--even if that's not what you think batteries do or what-have-you--was that the lightning made him more powerful? Whether it's precisely 4x or not, whatever. But you don't think that was the blatant intent of the scene?

Because it always seemed obvious to me that the point was he got more powerful from it.

Yep

Gree

• +47/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2019, 12:10:30 PM »
In Infinity War, Thor swung Rocket’s pod around and braced himself against the Star Forge to open it up.  That is a massive strength strength feat.

https://youtu.be/wKVHB2h1C7c?t=193

I don't see Tony pulling that off.

Additionally, Thor fought Hulk barehanded twice.  And while he was gradually getting into trouble, Tony was reluctant to even make an attempt using standard armor.  That's why he had to invent the Hulkbuster.  Thor is a good 4-5 times stronger than Tony on average.

Thor has always had a power creep since Avengers 1

I think it has more to do with the filmmakers wanting to showcase his strength more.  Throughout the first four or five movies appearances, Thor was never given a situation in which his strength was showcased except when he fought guys like Hulk and Iron Man who had a few lifting feats and stuff to their names.  Most of Thor's best strength feats were with Mjolnir up until he lost it in Ragnarok.

Twirling Rocket's pod around in Infinity War or ripping spaceships open in Ragnarok are very much in line with what we saw in Avengers.  He just never got the chance to do it.

I mean that’s kind of a bit of a bizarre way to look at it and if accepted could basically nullify a significant amount of power ups in fiction. “Wasn’t given a chance to show it” instead of yea, they’ve had a bit of a power creep since the first Avengers.

AP

• +135/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2019, 12:17:51 PM »
Typically, when I think of power creeps, I think of something that a character does in one movie/story/whatever that he was obviously not capable of before.  In Avengers, Cap couldn't do anything against Loki because he was too strong.  Fastforward to Civil War and he's able to damage Stark's armor.

Thor was never tested.  He never picked anything up, never smashed anything with his fist, and generally never exhibited the extent of his strength nor did he really fail at anything, either.  The only thing we had to go by was how he compared to other characters.  We know that Iron Man had to be boosted up to 400% to fight him and we know that he was the only guy capable of fighting Hulk hth.  If he were to, say, struggle to pick up a car, then I'd say a power creep definitely happened.

NeoGreenLantern

• +101/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2019, 01:24:50 PM »

IMHO him being able to go balls out without worrying about running out power is still getting more powerful. It would also explain why he didn't look significantly more powerful than he did in his first 2 movies.

nu-safado

• +7/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2019, 01:36:38 PM »
Thor was competitive with Hulk in h2h. Tossed Rocket's pod and was strong enough to restart the forge. Held the Iris open while being bombarded by the full power of a Star.

"Not that much strength"

Captain Marvel.....caught a bus. Never change bro.

All of the characters had clear power-ups from Age of Ultron on up.

Most comics tend that way

Rewatch the Ragnarok fight - he literally got ragdolled the same way Loki did - it was a funny part of the scene "Loki jumps up and yells "Jow do YOU like it"

He was on is way to getting SMASHEd until he found the lightning power. Without the lightning (Odin-force to come IMHO) he has never really done much to Hulk without Mjolnir

Swinging the ship was good - but Thor's power is in his battle lust and skill, durability, energy powers and his strength - among the top tiers, is good but not great.

Deadpools Colossus and Juggernaut might be able to deal with him in pure strength - at least Juggernaught......

Doesn't matter though, I think we're going to see him become All-Father in Endgame and start to become a hodgepodge of Odin-power and his own power. That's where the story seems like it's been going for a while.

Strength isn't really Thor's defining characteristic in defining his power IMHO

Kallor

• +8/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2019, 01:49:40 PM »
Rewatch the Ragnarok fight - he literally got ragdolled the same way Loki did - it was a funny part of the scene "Loki jumps up and yells "Jow do YOU like it"

How about you rewatch it, and this time pay attention to *why* Thor got "literally ragdolled."   

XerxesTWD

• +107/-27
  • You can't park here, buddy. Earth is closed today.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2019, 02:09:51 PM »
Thor was competitive with Hulk in h2h. Tossed Rocket's pod and was strong enough to restart the forge. Held the Iris open while being bombarded by the full power of a Star.

"Not that much strength"

Captain Marvel.....caught a bus. Never change bro.

All of the characters had clear power-ups from Age of Ultron on up.

Most comics tend that way

He was on is way to getting SMASHEd until he found the lightning power. Without the lightning (Odin-force to come IMHO) he has never really done much to Hulk without Mjolnir

Swinging the ship was good - but Thor's power is in his battle lust and skill, durability, energy powers and his strength - among the top tiers, is good but not great.

Deadpools Colossus and Juggernaut might be able to deal with him in pure strength - at least Juggernaught......

Doesn't matter though, I think we're going to see him become All-Father in Endgame and start to become a hodgepodge of Odin-power and his own power. That's where the story seems like it's been going for a while.

Strength isn't really Thor's defining characteristic in defining his power IMHO

Why are you like this?

NeoGreenLantern

• +101/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2019, 02:51:29 PM »
Hahaha

HalloweenJack

• +43/-10
  • Rowdy AF
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2019, 03:38:11 PM »
Cause Shazam is a cut out of Superman, who I think Saf may be a fan of.

NeoGreenLantern

• +101/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2019, 03:53:12 PM »
I always loved how Safado is a slightly more delusional Superfanboy compared to Jelly but far more likable.

AP

• +135/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2019, 04:33:46 PM »
I always loved how Safado is a slightly more delusional Superfanboy compared to Jelly but far more likable.

If Jelly is Batman V Superman, then Safado is the Superman movie with Richard Pryor.

Panthergod

• +49/-87
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2019, 08:49:40 PM »
Ill take it.

And based on what we've seen, Iron Man wins. He is absolutely standard Thor class as of Infinity War--actually i think hed probably beat Thor.