Herochat

The Joker trailer

HalloweenJack

• +43/-10
  • Rowdy AF
    • View Profile
Re: The Joker trailer
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2019, 05:03:39 PM »
There's a pretty big age difference between Phoenix Joker & the young kid portraying Bruce.

One theory is that Joaquin's character is not the actual Joker and at the end of the movie, he will influence the real deal.

I was thinking the exact same thing TBH.

AP

• +135/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2019, 05:36:02 PM »
I'm not fond of the idea, btw.  The Joker isn't the sort of person to steal someone's act.  I'm just posting the theory I've heard.

MTL76

• +1141/-119
  • Knives in the senate house?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2019, 05:39:30 PM »
I'm not fond of the idea, btw.  The Joker isn't the sort of person to steal someone's act.  I'm just posting the theory I've heard.

Me neither. The Joker is not a copycat. Age means nothing in comics, just because Batman is a kid now doesn't mean he can't face the Joker in the future. This is a concept that should carry over to the movies without much difficulty, especially as multiple actors play the same role.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

Bandido

• +10/-2
  • I can't let you do that Starfox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2019, 06:10:53 PM »
It could also play into the Joker, as universal constant. In Gotham, there must exist a joker.

80sBaby

• +35/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2019, 09:51:10 PM »
Am I the only one who thinks this Joker is Ledger's version? This looks to be an origin story for that version.

Uhtceare

• +35/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2019, 10:09:19 PM »
Nah, that Joker had no recorded history, and talked about things like a bunch of troops getting blown up and no one batting an eye. I've heard a theory that he was CIA or something like it before whatever happened to make him the Joker, which makes sense. Nolanverse is a relatively realistic world. How would someone have no record of ever having existed in a realistic world? If he was some high-level CIA agent or something similar.

AP

• +135/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2019, 09:38:51 AM »
Nah, that Joker had no recorded history, and talked about things like a bunch of troops getting blown up and no one batting an eye. I've heard a theory that he was CIA or something like it before whatever happened to make him the Joker, which makes sense. Nolanverse is a relatively realistic world. How would someone have no record of ever having existed in a realistic world? If he was some high-level CIA agent or something similar.

Yeah, Nolan's Joker had a lot of skills when ti came to subterfuge, tactics, and rigging explosives.  He obviously had some training in the past.  This version is just some poor shlub who got beaten down one time too many.  Besides, Ledger's Joker was in his late 20's/early 30's and this guy is nearing middle age.

MTL76

• +1141/-119
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2019, 10:16:41 AM »
True but he does have experience in the gladiatorial arena and knows how to use a gladius.

ProjectCornDog

• +17/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2019, 10:56:09 AM »

I very much enjoy that theory.

The best Joker is one that becomes or already is excessively capable. I want a Joker that can be a threat to the Justice League after experience (Injustice style).

80sBaby

• +35/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2019, 12:04:05 PM »
I'm talking more about his look/personality. This isn't going to be the Joker if he's just a crazy dude in make-up. Being hyper-capable is a part of what makes the Joker, the Joker.

ProjectCornDog

• +17/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2019, 12:41:00 PM »
I'm talking more about his look/personality. This isn't going to be the Joker if he's just a crazy dude in make-up. Being hyper-capable is a part of what makes the Joker, the Joker.

Right, he's not just a killer in a clown costume. He has to become a genuine threat. But some of the scenes in the film make me think that he starts pulling off crazy stunts and they can't properly identify/find him. Hopefully he becomes that.

Bandido

• +10/-2
  • I can't let you do that Starfox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2019, 03:17:54 PM »
I've always hated giving joker an origin. I think it subverts his character.

MTL76

• +1141/-119
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2019, 03:59:34 PM »
I've always hated giving joker an origin. I think it subverts his character.

In theory I agree (and still do for the comic book version), but this still looks good.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 04:01:54 PM by MTL76 »

NeoGreenLantern

• +101/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2019, 04:59:40 PM »
I'm fine with the Joker having origin stories as long as it's the joker telling the story and it relies on the unreliable narrative trope.

This looks good as a stand alone thing.

AP

• +135/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2019, 06:33:27 AM »
Random thought: the last two DC movies were directed by horror directors but were mostly funny.  Joker is directed by a comedy director but it's scary.