Herochat

The Joker trailer

AP

• +135/-56
    • View Profile
The Joker trailer
« on: April 03, 2019, 09:49:43 AM »
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7286456/videoplayer/vi2883960089

I had my reservations when this was announced but this looks really good.  It doesn't really seem like a comic book movie so much as a gritty 70's crime movie.  It reminds me of Taxi Driver.

MTL76

• +1141/-119
  • Knives in the senate house?
    • View Profile
Re: The Joker trailer
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 11:02:22 AM »
Looks great. I agree this doesn’t look like your standard comic book movie. Joaquin Phoenix is a great actor and he looks solid in this.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

-K-M-

• +14/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 01:32:00 PM »
Looks great!

AP

• +135/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 06:03:00 AM »
Any guesses on what will happen to Bruce?

-K-M-

• +14/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 07:16:24 AM »
Might end with Thomas and MAAAARTHA!!!!!! getting killed

The boy he forced to smile through the gate was Bruce so he’s at the right age to go through a tragic death of his parental figures and become the knight that prefers the dark

AP

• +135/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2019, 07:38:30 AM »
Do you think they'll show Batman?  I get the feeling we won't be seeing him, even if his parents get killed.  Maybe a hint that he will become darker but no suiting up?

Bran Mak Morn

• +18/-15
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2019, 08:25:51 AM »
There's a pretty big age difference between Phoenix Joker & the young kid portraying Bruce.
"It's like trying to teach a pig to sing.
It won't work & you just end up annoying the pig."
-Judge Judy.

AP

• +135/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2019, 08:38:55 AM »
There's a pretty big age difference between Phoenix Joker & the young kid portraying Bruce.

A lot of people notice that (although the same can be said for many of the villains in Gotham).

One theory is that Joaquin's character is not the actual Joker and at the end of the movie, he will influence the real deal.

Not BAMF

• +23/-15
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2019, 08:48:22 AM »
I don't know that it looks like a good JOKER movie, but it looks like a good stand-alone flick.
https://gotstratosphere.com/2019/04/23/show-4-23-19-the-avengers-quiz-show/ (A review of NextWave, and our MCU quiz challenge!)

AP

• +135/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2019, 08:54:20 AM »
I don't know that it looks like a good JOKER movie, but it looks like a good stand-alone flick.

Yeah, although I think that's the best way to do a Joker movie.  Supervillain flicks don't work usually.  You have to really tweak things around.

Bran Mak Morn

• +18/-15
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2019, 09:08:42 AM »

A lot of people notice that (although the same can be said for many of the villains in Gotham).

One theory is that Joaquin's character is not the actual Joker and at the end of the movie, he will influence the real deal.

I've never watched Gotham but I understand the similarities being made.

I'm jus saying that this movie is being promoted as a "Scorsese inspired American psychological thriller...set in the DC-verse."

By that definition, I don't envision Bats being involved at all in a saviour or heroic role.
Maybe a nod to the DC-verse but nothing that will impact the story or take the focus away from Phoenix's role.
"It's like trying to teach a pig to sing.
It won't work & you just end up annoying the pig."
-Judge Judy.

AP

• +135/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2019, 09:16:53 AM »

I've never watched Gotham but I understand the similarities being made.

I'm jus saying that this movie is being promoted as a "Scorsese inspired American psychological thriller...set in the DC-verse."

By that definition, I don't envision Bats being involved at all in a saviour or heroic role.
Maybe a nod to the DC-verse but nothing that will impact the story or take the focus away from Phoenix's role.

Yeah, like I said, I don't imagine we will see Batman in this movie.

ProjectCornDog

• +17/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2019, 10:13:54 AM »
I hope we get SOME type of Batman-esque cameo, even if it's not Batman himself.

For example, film ends with the Joker meeting his new therapist, Harleen Quinzel.

But the idea that this Joker inspires the real thing is something I could absolutely see happen.

Bandido

• +10/-2
  • I can't let you do that Starfox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2019, 12:27:17 PM »

That's too clever AP.

-K-M-

• +14/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2019, 04:08:32 PM »
Do you think they'll show Batman?  I get the feeling we won't be seeing him, even if his parents get killed.  Maybe a hint that he will become darker but no suiting up?

I don’t either. Just set up the seeds for him to become Batman