• +65/-65
    • View Profile

MTL76

• +1141/-119
  • Knives in the senate house?
    • View Profile
Re: This season of empire very unrealistic
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 01:52:02 PM »
It’s no surprise that wealthy people do better in our justice system than poor people. Wealthy people can hire more and better lawyers, can provide their lawyers with more funds with which to mount a defense, etc. And I’m not against someone using their wealth for that.

Using fame and political connections to completely skirt the law is a different issue but again, nothing new here.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

therock

• +65/-65
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 01:57:53 PM »
It’s no surprise that wealthy people do better in our justice system than poor people. Wealthy people can hire more and better lawyers, can provide their lawyers with more funds with which to mount a defense, etc. And I’m not against someone using their wealth for that.

Using fame and political connections to completely skirt the law is a different issue but again, nothing new here.

But this didn't even go to court

MTL76

• +1141/-119
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2019, 02:00:35 PM »

But this didn't even go to court

Understood, that’s why it’s more an example of blatant corruption rather than life’s unfairness. But I’m not really surprised, though I thought he’d have to admit culpability before getting off with community service.

AP

• +135/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2019, 02:40:15 PM »
Yeah, I figured he would have to do some community service or go to some kind of therapy.  It was obvious he wasn't gonna get into too much trouble.

NeoGreenLantern

• +101/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2019, 03:56:53 PM »
From what I was reading the cops and FBI basically didn't have any evidence against him. At least nothing solid. Even the payment he gave the two brothers looks like a legitimate payment for personal training. So while he most likely orchistrated the incident they really can't prove it.

MTL76

• +1141/-119
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2019, 04:17:31 PM »
It seems odd that they would take it to a grand jury if they didn’t have something substantial on him. Or that the case would collapse so quickly after the grand jury indicted him.

NeoGreenLantern

• +101/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2019, 05:34:25 PM »
Yeah I agree the fact everything is under lock and key is super suspecious. I'm just going by what law enforcement released on it.

I don't think it's some kind of rich person conspiracy though. It's not like Jussie is some big name celebrity. He's probably not even come back to Empire.

MTL76

• +1141/-119
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2019, 05:50:29 PM »
He may have been a C-list celebrity before this happened but he was very much having his fifteen minutes because of this charade. He was famous in the way that anyone who is the subject of a story played non-stop on national media for weeks would be. Before his story fell apart he was being treated like a martyr. His newfound fame, or notoriety, certainly played a role on how this played out in my mind.

Granted, his story wouldn’t have gotten so much attention if he weren’t a C-list celebrity with political and activist connections in the first place. Those same connections also seem to me to have played a role in him having his charges dropped.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 06:02:42 PM by MTL76 »

therock

• +65/-65
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2019, 06:37:41 PM »
Why I don't think k he should of got the multi decade sentence they were aiming for (think it was high as 40) dude should have to pay a bigger fine

AP

• +135/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2019, 06:40:56 PM »
He may have been a C-list celebrity before this happened but he was very much having his fifteen minutes because of this charade. He was famous in the way that anyone who is the subject of a story played non-stop on national media for weeks would be. Before his story fell apart he was being treated like a martyr. His newfound fame, or notoriety, certainly played a role on how this played out in my mind.

Granted, his story wouldn’t have gotten so much attention if he weren’t a C-list celebrity with political and activist connections in the first place. Those same connections also seem to me to have played a role in him having his charges dropped.

I remember shortly after the 2016 election, there were one or two people who got in trouble for falsely reporting hate crimes.  Anyone know off hand what charges they got, if any?

Snake-eyes

• +18/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2019, 06:58:34 PM »
From what I heard both the cops and mayor are pissed about the charges being dropped.

MTL76

• +1141/-119
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2019, 07:13:22 PM »
From what I heard both the cops and mayor are pissed about the charges being dropped.

They should be. These aren’t harmless pranks. Not only do they waste resources, but they put at risk any average citizen that fits the description of the made up perpetrators that the cops may sweep up. These should be prosecuted every time it happens.

therock

• +65/-65
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2019, 11:16:07 PM »
Also make people dismiss real victims more

Dlbiininja

• +120/-14019
  • Destroyer of father of socks self-esteem
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2019, 11:31:03 PM »
Mayor & chief should be more upset with the lies & cover ups in their own department.   I saw they've shelled out about 370 million as of 2017 or so.

https://www.chicagoreporter.com/police-misconduct-payouts-continue-to-break-the-bank-in-chicago/

And they just recently raided a kids birthday party due to a mistaken address.   "Professionals!"
My negative Karma correlates to the amount of butthurt I've caused you! 
blowmeuptom.com/   https://www.facebook.com/tomleykisshow/
http://garyanddino.com/