Herochat

Shazam (spoilers)

nu-safado

• +7/-1
    • View Profile
Re: Shazam (spoilers)
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2019, 12:15:49 AM »
The DCCU is finding its fight

By y having the movies be "self-contained" they're allowing the films to develop organically.

I don't think a soft-reboot would be all that hard and a Flash movie could use a time travel as a narrative device

This version of Shazam is better of spending most of his time in the world of magic and interacting with the JLU for events, at least that's the way I prefer it.

I loved most of the movie - Billy Batson finding his mother and accepting the superhero role was unreal and him jumping off the rooftop was chillingly good

I didn't care for the action scenes, they felt off - but everything else in the film was A+. Sivana was exceptional and made me sad that he wasn't Luthor.

Loved the film overall.

Batman and Superman will be back sooner than you think. Batman has a great director, a good idea (detective noir) and mostly needs recasting.

Superman is strange. I'm so on the fence on Henry Cavill. From rumors I heard on Youtube, he was difficult in negotiating - he's in dog shape for the Witcher so why didn't he make the cameo for Shazam? Basically, I hard he thinks he's an A-list star and wants to be paid and treated as one. Not sure I ike Superman being so difficul to empathize with, as much as he looks the part.

Accel

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2019, 05:22:54 PM »
I thought it was a lot of fun.  Probably the best out of the DCEU movies to date.  Loved the little nod to "Big" and the sins kept making me think of demon dogs from Ghostbusters, especially when they would just tear into people.  I also loved how they address that trope where two people have a casual conversation while a hundred feet apart.

The way they kept referencing Batman and Superman made me wonder if the Justice League is publicly known in this universe yet.  They don't seem to really mention any other heroes until the end credits.

NeoGreenLantern

• +101/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2019, 07:29:24 PM »
There was also Wonder Woman merch in the toy store so at least the big three were known.

ProjectCornDog

• +17/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2019, 09:09:03 PM »
Just saw the film.

Maybe I am becoming a bah humbug because I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would? It wasn't bad by any means and I really enjoyed the half and even past that.

-------

Buuuuut the villain was already weaker than SHAZAM and then on top of that, ALL the foster kids become SHAZAM? That team might be stronger than the Justice League!

If they all got a single power or different powers I could understand it more but a whole team of SHAZAMs was a bit too child-like and cartoony for me.

--------

Strong points:
Humor was good
Transition from getting powers to becoming formidable with it was fun
Billy was cool
Supporting staff (foster kids and foster parents) were fun inclusions
Mom element was sad and powerful

Bran Mak Morn

• +18/-15
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2019, 10:58:12 PM »

Also the pure hatred the father & brother had for Thad & vice versa kinda overwhelmed the light-heartedness the film was trying to portray.
There was simply no chance of reconciliation or even Thad offering his new found powers to serve his dad as a way of trying to appeasing him.

Yes, the demons were influencing Thad but there was never an ounce of hope that Thad & his family had love for each other.

Then the mom having to reject Billy was his catalyst to actually see the good in his foster family felt either badly edited or too far fetched. 
"It's like trying to teach a pig to sing.
It won't work & you just end up annoying the pig."
-Judge Judy.

AP

• +135/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2019, 02:49:46 AM »

Also the pure hatred the father & brother had for Thad & vice versa kinda overwhelmed the light-heartedness the film was trying to portray.
There was simply no chance of reconciliation or even Thad offering his new found powers to serve his dad as a way of trying to appeasing him.

Yes, the demons were influencing Thad but there was never an ounce of hope that Thad & his family had love for each other.

Then the mom having to reject Billy was his catalyst to actually see the good in his foster family felt either badly edited or too far fetched.

Sivana’s turn to evil as a kid was centered around his hatred of his family.  If he tried to reconcile then it defeats the purpose of him being evil in the first place.

As for Billy’s mom not wanting him, that’s not that far fetched.  Some parents don’t want their kids sadly.

Bran Mak Morn

• +18/-15
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2019, 10:15:23 AM »

Sivana’s turn to evil as a kid was centered around his hatred of his family.  If he tried to reconcile then it defeats the purpose of him being evil in the first place.

As for Billy’s mom not wanting him, that’s not that far fetched.  Some parents don’t want their kids sadly.

Sivana was never evil as a child. He was portrayed as the victim of an over domineering father & an older brother who bullied him with the father's approval.

I just found it slightly disturbing to begin a "family friendly" movie with the insight into a loveless & abusive family.

Then we have comedy relief before we're once again reminded of a parent abandoning their child from Billy's mom's perspective.

For me, those harsh moments really overshadowed the fun & feel good aspects the film was trying to portray.
"It's like trying to teach a pig to sing.
It won't work & you just end up annoying the pig."
-Judge Judy.

Uhtceare

• +35/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2019, 04:42:22 PM »
I don't understand why this movie underperformed so badly. I thought it would be at least at the 600 million mark by now.

HalloweenJack

• +43/-10
  • Rowdy AF
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2019, 05:41:23 PM »
saw it last week, I liked it, but I like Captain Marvel and Pet Sematary more (a couple of other movies I've seen lately)

AP

• +135/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2019, 06:12:27 PM »
This movie deserved to have a good box office.  I thought the momentum of wonder woman and Aquaman would carry over.  Hopefully Dwayne Johnson will save the franchise.

DarthAlani

• +3/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2019, 08:30:41 PM »
At least the budget is not crazy so it won't hurt that bad.  The DC brand is just not strong enough yet.

Thanos6

• +22/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2019, 08:45:34 PM »
Thinking back on the movie, another moment I liked was when Sivana is holding the kids hostage. He's looking around the house, passing the time for Billy to get there, and finds a Christmas wreath with the kids' pictures on it. He just stares at it, and you can see several emotions fighting on his face; confusion, anger, regret...

It's a great bit of acting by Mark Strong, and does a nice job of showing just how much Sivana's upbringing has soured him on the very concept of family.
Truten forever!