Herochat

Shazam (spoilers)

NeoGreenLantern

• +101/-23
    • View Profile
Re: Shazam (spoilers)
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2019, 08:05:52 PM »
Are you talking about in the comic or the movie? Because I just saw the movie and that didn't happen.

nu-safado

• +7/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2019, 08:51:47 PM »
Both

I don't understand if Shazam loses power when he divides it in comics

And didn't someone just say he shared his power in the pre-screening? I'm seeing it Saturday

NeoGreenLantern

• +101/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2019, 09:48:55 PM »
Pre-nu52 iirc he would be weaker when Mary and Freddie would use them. Not sure about post-nu52.

In the movies it seemed like it had no effect on him.

NeoGreenLantern

• +101/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2019, 10:02:02 PM »
Oh and this movie is easily my favorite DCEU movie. I loved every moment and it had some serious heart.

Thanos6

• +22/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2019, 10:30:34 PM »
Oh and this movie is easily my favorite DCEU movie. I loved every moment and it had some serious heart.

Same here. I disagree with Altoon; I'm a huge fan of the character and I think they nailed pretty much everything.

Extra points to Dr. Sivana. Even with him getting superpowered for the film, they really got what makes him tick: intelligence, envy, and bitterness. A very sad backstory that makes you sympathize with him, and you kinda hate that he goes as evil as he does.
Truten forever!

NeoGreenLantern

• +101/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2019, 10:33:42 PM »
I wonder if the sequel will deal with him still having an open seat at the table.

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2019, 10:36:26 PM »
Let me just add that even if I didn't already love this movie, my baby Ross Butler showing up sealed the deal.

Bran Mak Morn

• +18/-15
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2019, 07:46:23 AM »
I loved every moment and it had some serious heart.

Juz saw it tonight.

I walked out with mixed feelings...can't say I enjoyed but I didn't hate it either.

I juz don't know what angle of emotions I'm meant to be feeling...?

You have a young boy, Thad hated by both his father & older brother. There's enough hatred there that it ends in murder.

Then you have a 4 YEAR OLD Billy abandoned by his 17 YEAR OLD mother who later shows no regret or hope at all at reconciling.

And from these two aspects I'm supposed to treat the movie as a feel good film?

The Supes cameo was a nice touch. However I wouldn't like to see a lightweight version of Bats or Supes in Shazam's DC verse. Nor would I like to see this version of Shazam in the current DC verse that Synder's darkened up.
"It's like trying to teach a pig to sing.
It won't work & you just end up annoying the pig."
-Judge Judy.

NeoGreenLantern

• +101/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2019, 11:24:04 AM »
The feel good part is Billy getting the family he deserves. Yeah there is some real pain in the movie but if they didn't have it a lot of the conflict would have felt undeserving.

Not BAMF

• +23/-15
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2019, 02:31:24 PM »
No DC movie since Dark Knight is even reasonably close to Shazam. It wasn't GREAT, but it was pretty damn good. I had a loti of fun watching it. The third act was a bit weak, but even that was balanced out by the fact that they introduced the... Marvel Family? Shazamily? Whatever.
https://gotstratosphere.com/2019/04/23/show-4-23-19-the-avengers-quiz-show/ (A review of NextWave, and our MCU quiz challenge!)

Not BAMF

• +23/-15
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2019, 02:32:23 PM »
https://gotstratosphere.com/2019/04/23/show-4-23-19-the-avengers-quiz-show/ (A review of NextWave, and our MCU quiz challenge!)

AP

• +135/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2019, 04:13:51 PM »
No DC movie since Dark Knight is even reasonably close to Shazam. It wasn't GREAT, but it was pretty damn good. I had a loti of fun watching it. The third act was a bit weak, but even that was balanced out by the fact that they introduced the... Marvel Family? Shazamily? Whatever.

Once again, your taste in things baffles me.

Or should I say Bamfles me?

Anyway, it was a fun little movie.  I’ll break it down when I get home.

AP

• +135/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2019, 05:37:06 PM »
THE GOOD

Zachary Levi and the kid who played Billy really gelled when it came to getting the same body language, expressions, and intonations.  I believed it was the same guy.

The kid playing Freddy had good chemistry with Billy as well.  Really, the entire family was good.  They were likable and never came off as cheesy or annoying.  I enjoyed seeing them as the Shazam Family and the moment was definitely earned.

Mark Strong is good as always.

I liked all the little continuity bits (apparently when Billy and Freddy go to the warehouse to test his powers, it's an old ACE chemical plant) and the world building (the doors leading to alternate realities was pretty fun).

Some people have a problem with the tone but I liked that there were some scary bits.  It reminded me of the old kids movies I watched in the 80's like Goonies, Gremlins, or Big.  There were always some legit scary moments and just enough real world drama to make it interesting but there was also a lot of comedy (they even reference Big with that keyboard gag in the mall).  Come to think of it, Aqauman also reminded me of 80's movies like Indiana Jones and Romancing The Stone.  With the next Wonder Woman taking place in the 80's, if the DCCU is going for a retro vibe from now on, I'm onboard.

THE BAD

The Wizard was just there as a plot device to give Billy his powers, spout off some exposition, then die.  I know they needed him out of the way so Billy and Freddy could discover his powers on their own but I think it was a mistake not to give him more screen time and possibly keep him around for future films.

I was hoping for a bit more action.  There are only two fight scenes, one at the end of the second act and one in the climax.  Both featured Billy and Sivana fighting.  I get that we needed to see Billy goofing around before getting serious and going full superhero but it'd be fun to see him have at least one big action sequence before fighting Sivana.  Like instead of throwing a couple of convenience store robbers through a window, he runs into a bank robbery in progress and the bank robbers drive off and eh has to chase them on foot, then they open fire with a bazooka or something crazy like that.

While this isn't really a knock on the film itself, the Superman "cameo" reminds me that the DCCU kind of already fucked itself.  I'm sure Shazam, wonder woman, and Aquaman will have a ton of movies in the future.  But it seems like they have to just have all the movies self contained now (if not, set in an entirely different universe like Joker) and I seriously doubt we will see Superman or Batman onscreen in a very long time.  I don't expect another Justice League.  If they didn't have Snyder shitting on everythign early on, we could have had decent competition against Marvel.

All in all, an entertaining ride.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 05:50:15 PM by AP »

NeoGreenLantern

• +101/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2019, 05:46:37 PM »
Billy figuring out his powers was probably one of my favorite parts. It was very authentic.

Thanos6

• +22/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2019, 08:38:30 PM »
The Wizard was just there as a plot device to give Billy his powers, spout off some exposition, then die.  I know they needed him out of the way so Billy and Freddy could discover his powers on their own but I think it was a mistake not to give him more screen time and possibly keep him around for future films.

They could just do what the Pre-Crisis stories did and have Billy and co. summon him as a spirit if they need his advice.
Truten forever!