Herochat

Stories that are popular that you don't get.

Astro

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Stories that are popular that you don't get.
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2015, 12:16:12 AM »
You know what's the deal with Final Crisis? It's depends very heavily on the tie-ins, mostly the Legion of 3 Worlds one.

True and not true. It depends heavily on Superman 3D; it definitely DOES NOT depend on Legion of 3 Worlds. I honestly don't know how you can make that mistake -- you have to squint to even see how that series is connected to Final Crisis (and it didn't finish until after Final Crisis was over, thanks to uber delays from Perez).

Astro

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2015, 12:17:55 AM »
Final Crisis is popular? I thought the general consensus was that it was a convoluted mess?

That was the initial impression, but over the years more and more people have come to enjoy it or 'get it' or whatever you want to call it. Morrison himself makes reference to it in a recent interview, but you can see it all over the boards; it used to be about 60/40 I think against it, and now it's 80/20 or thereabouts, I think. A few people still really don't like it, but I've seen a lot of people praise it, and even heard a number of people GET INTO DC COMICS through it.

Hamburglar

• +2414/-55
  • I use naughty words
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2015, 01:58:58 AM »
You know what's the deal with Final Crisis? It's depends very heavily on the tie-ins, mostly the Legion of 3 Worlds one.

True and not true. It depends heavily on Superman 3D; it definitely DOES NOT depend on Legion of 3 Worlds. I honestly don't know how you can make that mistake -- you have to squint to even see how that series is connected to Final Crisis (and it didn't finish until after Final Crisis was over, thanks to uber delays from Perez).

Yeah, that was the one. My mistake

FUCKING DIGUSTING

Hamburglar

• +2414/-55
  • I use naughty words
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2015, 01:59:45 AM »
It's actually all collected in a trade paperback and I really enjoyed it for what it was.

FUCKING DIGUSTING

Astro

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2015, 02:49:52 AM »
It's actually all collected in a trade paperback and I really enjoyed it for what it was.

Final Crisis or Legion of Three Worlds?

Love Final Crisis, really hated Legion of Three Worlds.

Astro

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2015, 02:55:38 AM »
For me, and for one, Ed Brubaker's Captain America. I don't get it. It's all very standard stuff, told solidly and that's it. Not saying anyone should hate it, or that I hate it, it's just the product of someone who has storytelling basics down and a decent grasp of the character. Kind of shocked it gets put out there as an all time great run.

And also, all of the work of Greg Rucka, at DC, Marvel and his independent stuff. Again, the work of someone who knows how to put together a solid comic book, no doubt. There is a nice floor to the quality of his work; it's never not sound. But rarely is it anything more than that; it's always missing that spark, the novelty, the specificity, the big ideas or human truths. It's even missing the small moments, for me, generally. It's just there.

Yeah, I don't get Bendis' Avengers popularity, but that's an easy one. Honestly, I don't really get his Ultimate Spider Man love either. Not only decompressed, it's also just really mundane. I read the first 12 of the first run some years back and couldn't get past that. I did dig Alias.

MTL76

• +1126/-119
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2015, 07:02:17 AM »
Shit, I can't believe I forgot Brubaker's Captain America.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

Mightily Oats

• +76/-579
  • Master of Fagnetism
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2015, 09:38:32 AM »

Hahaha, this is an awful critique, Oats.
If you haven't read the story, sure.

For anyone that has, I don't think I need to get more in-depth than to say "Batman and Joker laughing together is a stupid thing to do, no matter what you're trying to achieve with the act."

Parallels. Mirrors. Juxtapositions. Stupidity.

There's a lot about the story to like, and as you say it's gorgeous beyond all rational thought (the definitive Joker, easily) but it ends like a Stephen King novel

Not BAMF

• +19/-13
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2015, 10:28:49 AM »
Preacher. Like, any of Preacher. I remember reading it and thinking it was just the most 90's thing ever with "LOOK HOW VULGAR AND GROSS AND VIOLENT THIS BOOK IS WOOOOO MOUNTAIN DEW!"
https://gotstratosphere.com/2018/08/14/show-8-14-18-sweethearty-summer/ (Guest starring our wives to talk about Luke Cage S2 and The Long Halloween!)

Mightily Oats

• +76/-579
  • Master of Fagnetism
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2015, 12:08:12 PM »
It's the most Garth Ennis thing imaginable.

For good and bad, eye mow

MTL76

• +1126/-119
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2015, 01:05:50 PM »
Preacher. Like, any of Preacher. I remember reading it and thinking it was just the most 90's thing ever with "LOOK HOW VULGAR AND GROSS AND VIOLENT THIS BOOK IS WOOOOO MOUNTAIN DEW!"

I was a big fan, especially in the earlier part of the series, but it hasn't aged well.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

Whiskeyclone

• +5/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2015, 01:44:29 PM »
For me, and for one, Ed Brubaker's Captain America. I don't get it. It's all very standard stuff, told solidly and that's it. Not saying anyone should hate it, or that I hate it, it's just the product of someone who has storytelling basics down and a decent grasp of the character. Kind of shocked it gets put out there as an all time great run.

And also, all of the work of Greg Rucka, at DC, Marvel and his independent stuff. Again, the work of someone who knows how to put together a solid comic book, no doubt. There is a nice floor to the quality of his work; it's never not sound. But rarely is it anything more than that; it's always missing that spark, the novelty, the specificity, the big ideas or human truths. It's even missing the small moments, for me, generally. It's just there.

Yeah, I don't get Bendis' Avengers popularity, but that's an easy one. Honestly, I don't really get his Ultimate Spider Man love either. Not only decompressed, it's also just really mundane. I read the first 12 of the first run some years back and couldn't get past that. I did dig Alias.

I like Brubaker's Cap for sure, first time I ever made a point of aggressively following his solo book beyond scattered arcs.

I'm with you on Rucka, though, except that I currently like Lazarus a fair deal.

Necro

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2015, 03:19:37 PM »
Anything by Judd Winnick except his Batman, surprisingly.
Loved how he handled Red Hood.

INDRA THUNDERER

• +3/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2015, 03:34:56 PM »
Jeph Loeb's Hulk....

Astro

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2015, 12:27:33 AM »

Hahaha, this is an awful critique, Oats.
If you haven't read the story, sure.

For anyone that has, I don't think I need to get more in-depth than to say "Batman and Joker laughing together is a stupid thing to do, no matter what you're trying to achieve with the act."

Parallels. Mirrors. Juxtapositions. Stupidity.

There's a lot about the story to like, and as you say it's gorgeous beyond all rational thought (the definitive Joker, easily) but it ends like a Stephen King novel

What about it is stupid, is what I'm saying? You acknowledge that it's an engaging piece of work, well put together, generally offers a few (perhaps cheap) emotional moments, that is offering a take on the Batman/Joker dynamic (a take, I might add, that has been aped and reused by MOST Batman writers since) that is very consistent with the theme of the whole book. What I'm saying is, what specifically about that scene - or the still-debated implications of that scene - is dumb, and does that denigrate the story itself, for Alan Moore to put forth a point you don't agree with, or to imply a plot twist you don't like? (the plot twist being that he kills JOker)