Herochat

Captain Marvel - spoilers inside

AP

• +135/-56
    • View Profile
Re: Captain Marvel - spoilers inside
« Reply #90 on: March 19, 2019, 07:15:38 PM »
Brie Larson did a fine job is Captain Marvel, and she had every bit as much personality is Scarlett Johansson does is Black widow. any critique you may have to order is probably just towards the character, which is rather vanilla and very Deus ex Machina/Mary Sue.

Maybe if we're talking about Iron Man 2 Black Widow.  From Avengers all the way until Infinity War, I think we get a solid idea of who she is, what her fears are, what motivates her, what she holds dear, what pisses her off, etc.
So over the course of several movies that don't include an origin story and her evolving interactions with a half dozen recurring characters?

Bandido seemed to think that all of Black Widow's appearances are equal to Captain Marvel's one appearance in terms of character depth and growth so I mentioned her entire arc.  I think Widow's character was well rounded enough by Avengers to be honest.  If that was her last appearance, I'd still say she had more depth than Captain Marvel and between that movie and Iron Man 2, she might have had 40 minutes of screentime.  Everything after that was part of a wider arc (similar to how we know Tony Stark's character in Iron Man but we get the entire character arc by watching all of his movies).  As of now, I don't really know who Carol Danvers is but I know Natashia Romanov.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 07:52:19 PM by AP »

Gree

• +47/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 19, 2019, 08:40:23 PM »
I liked Brie way more than I’ve ever liked Scarjo as Widow

NeoGreenLantern

• +101/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 19, 2019, 08:49:48 PM »
I think we got a pretty good idea who Carol is. I mean we got everything from her childhood til now.  Why she got into the air Force, why she bonded with Maria, etc, etc.

AP

• +135/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 19, 2019, 09:02:51 PM »
I think we got a pretty good idea who Carol is. I mean we got everything from her childhood til now.  Why she got into the air Force, why she bonded with Maria, etc, etc.

We learned about her backstory but that's not quite the same thing knowing what sort of person she is.  Let's test something out.

When the first Avengers movie was coming out, did you imagine how Tony, Steve, etc. would interact with each other?  If so, how accurate were you?  I figure you probably guessed accurately that Tony would crack jokes at Cap and see him as uptight.  You could tell how those personalities would clash based on their solo films.

How do you think Carol will interact with Steve or the others?  If Steve were giving battle plans, would Carol go along with them?  Would she rebel?  Would she feel out of place on the team or become a natural leader?  How do you see the dynamic in Endgame?

NeoGreenLantern

• +101/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 19, 2019, 09:28:06 PM »
How she interacts with them initially will be determined by two unknown factors. How much she knows about what happened with Thanos and if she had her memories fully restored.

But after that she's gonna trust Cap. Possibly be annoyed by Tony depending on where his head is after being stuck in space, and I think gonna have a buddy buddy relationship with Thor.

NeoGreenLantern

• +101/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 19, 2019, 09:29:55 PM »
I don't think she's gonna be too confrontational since she trust Fury and that's his team.

AP

• +135/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 19, 2019, 09:31:28 PM »
How she interacts with them initially will be determined by two unknown factors. How much she knows about what happened with Thanos and if she had her memories fully restored.

But after that she's gonna trust Cap. Possibly be annoyed by Tony depending on where his head is after being stuck in space, and I think gonna have a buddy buddy relationship with Thor.

Why do you think she will follow Cap or be annoyed by Tony?  Before the Endgame trailer, did you expect her and Thor to be buddy buddy?

XerxesTWD

• +107/-27
  • You can't park here, buddy. Earth is closed today.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 19, 2019, 09:36:56 PM »

Why do you think she will follow Cap or be annoyed by Tony?  Before the Endgame trailer, did you expect her and Thor to be buddy buddy?
Everybody is buddies with Thor. Fucking EVERYbody.

Thanos really fucked up a chance at making a cool friend.

nu-safado

• +7/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 19, 2019, 09:54:18 PM »
Um, Captain America knew who he was and what he was fighting for from the very beginning of his film. It wasn't about personal growth at all. He got his suit and shield before the midway point. Have you actually watched the movie?

Carol had her powers for a while, actually. Her knowing how to use then so quickly makes sense.

Cap had a HUGE story arc and personal growth in his movie. We understand how scrappy he is at the beginning when Bucky rescues him but his isolation and desire to contribute to making things better are put on display when he proves his worth to get the SSS at training camp, becomes Cap, gets paraded around, and then deciding to take up the real fight

The story circles around and he's got everything he wanted in the beginning. He finds love, he's fighting the good fight, he's gone from an orphan to being the leader of a group of Howling Commandos and then; he loses his best friend, has to sacrifice himself to save everyone and ends the movie isolated again.When he wakes up in NY in the end, as far as he knows, he fought the good fight and ended up the same lonely kid except now, instead of being an orphan, he's a man out of time and he has nothing to fight for, no mission, and everyone he cares for is gone.

He also faces a physcial equal in Red Skull and faces challenges in the scope of his enemies

Power wise, Cap Marvel has no idea she has these powers. Shes strong, has a photon blast that as far as she knows was given to her by the Kree and she is a fantastic fighter. Jude Law's character (fuck spelling his nameZ) is an afterthought, and she's about as powerful as a Spider Man villain at best throughout the story.

The second she gets her powers, she knows exactly how to use all of them. Even Hulk took a few scenes to figure out he could jump for miles. It felt generic and vapid

When she's in buddy cop mode or ineractng with her friends and we see who she used to be she's generally awesome. The film could have bridged those two bits better. The Overmind takes the form of the person you most admire. She see's and meets the incarnation of her personal God and it's barely an afterthought

The ovie could have been better if it took tiself more seriously. It feels shoehorned in. It wa entertaining, fun, and the space cheese was cool. The buddy cop story is the best part, but marvel has had some seriously well-developed stories and this is mid-tier at bst

Winter Soldier, Black Panther, Ragnarok, and Iron Man and Spider Man Homecoming were all different stylsitically, but great films on their own. This was good, but not great

80sBaby

• +35/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 19, 2019, 10:30:07 PM »
Rather than post paragraphs, I'm just going to say pretty much everything you said is wrong. The easiest to spit being that CM didn't know she had powers, when they specifically told her she had powers that could be taken away.

NeoGreenLantern

• +101/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 20, 2019, 01:00:14 AM »

I'm betting on she will know who Cap is. If so since she's military and has a strong belief in what's right and wrong I don't see why she wouldn't follow him.

If Tony goes in full Tony Stark mode he will probably remind her of the flyboys that gave her a hard time during her air Force years. Again that's dependent on his attitude after being lost in space.

For Thor see what Xer said. Thor is friends with everyone.

Bandido

• +10/-2
  • I can't let you do that Starfox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 20, 2019, 01:11:20 AM »
Brie Larson did a fine job is Captain Marvel, and she had every bit as much personality is Scarlett Johansson does is Black widow. any critique you may have to order is probably just towards the character, which is rather vanilla and very Deus ex Machina/Mary Sue.

Maybe if we're talking about Iron Man 2 Black Widow.  From Avengers all the way until Infinity War, I think we get a solid idea of who she is, what her fears are, what motivates her, what she holds dear, what pisses her off, etc.

Yeah, but that highlights the point. Black Widow has had more time.

I mean, I got a good idea of who she was in Avengers and that was only her second appearance.  Considering she is not a major player who has never had her own origin story, it's not glowing praise if she is a more complex character than someone who has their own movie.  I'm not sure how you think that's a compliment.

Are we talking development or acting?

I'm saying I think Larson gave as much likeness to Marvel as ScarJo did to Widow in any appearance. Obviously she hasn't interacted with the big guns yet.

AP

• +135/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 20, 2019, 06:29:13 AM »
Are we talking development or acting?

I'm saying I think Larson gave as much likeness to Marvel as ScarJo did to Widow in any appearance. Obviously she hasn't interacted with the big guns yet.

Development more than acting.

And interacting with other characters doesn't matter.  Widow's big character moment in Avengers came when she was chatting with Loki.  In the span of one conversation, we learned where she came from, her relationship with Clint, what motivates her, and how she thinks.  We know that she is willing to get vulnerable and seemingly let her guard down in order to get information, which was a callback to he intro scene where she is interrogating the Russians despite being tied to a chair.  That scene showed her getting physically emotional and the scene with Loki shows her getting emotionally vulnerable.  We know she likes to let others think they are in control but the opposite is true.  I felt like I knew her then.

nu-safado

• +7/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 20, 2019, 02:02:49 PM »
That;s perfect

Ca Marvel sort of lets you know who she is but doesn't pay off its own promises. She wants her big hero moment but when she finds her tesseract power it's all "woohoo"and no confrontation with a threatening enemy with real stakes

XerxesTWD

• +107/-27
  • You can't park here, buddy. Earth is closed today.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 20, 2019, 02:05:23 PM »
That;s perfect

Ca Marvel sort of lets you know who she is but doesn't pay off its own promises. She wants her big hero moment but when she finds her tesseract power it's all "woohoo"and no confrontation with a threatening enemy with real stakes
Holy shit. Did you really just say that? Your favorite character is Superman.

The whole point of her powerset is that she's far beyond anything even a planet-wrecking Armada could bring to the table. She's directly linked to the tesseract. They straight up said they're going to come back prepared for her next time.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 02:07:30 PM by XerxesTWD »