Re: Captain Marvel - spoilers inside
« Reply #76 on: March 15, 2019, 10:57:01 PM »
I know but I doubt he'd do it :(

Gree

• +47/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 16, 2019, 01:37:56 AM »
Why didn’t they use Lee Pace. I know he was in the transmissions but didn’t look like him live

Not BAMF

• +23/-15
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 18, 2019, 09:39:35 AM »
Saw it again this weekend, and I liked it even more. I think it's a lot of fun.

I for the life of me don't understand the "Brie was wooden/boring/had no personality" complaints. They are objectively nonsense. My wife even said coming out of the movie "The commercials made her look so boring and like she had no personality, so I didn't really want to see it. But she was great!".

The movie has some flaws, but Brie and her performance are definitively not one of them. She was engaging and fun and dynamic.
https://gotstratosphere.com/2019/04/23/show-4-23-19-the-avengers-quiz-show/ (A review of NextWave, and our MCU quiz challenge!)

AP

• +135/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 18, 2019, 09:46:46 AM »
She had more life in the finished movie than the trailers, for certain.  But yeah, she still came off as lifeless ot me.  I think one scene that stood out to me was when she confronted the Supreme Intelligence.  She is lamenting the fact that they stole her memories and everything.  She raises her voice, which shows that she is upset but her face doesn't move much.  she doesn't furrow her brow or anything.  They add a single tear drop, but her face otherwise doesn't look any different than say, when she fights people or cracks a joke at Fury.  I couldn't feel her pain.

HalloweenJack

• +43/-10
  • Rowdy AF
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 18, 2019, 05:25:13 PM »
also something something not built like Scarjo

Bran Mak Morn

• +18/-15
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 18, 2019, 05:48:36 PM »
I couldn't feel her pain.

Maybe it was the way the flashbacks were handled...I did feel they were oddly edited or interjected into the movie at times they weren't really needed.

They did show more her frustration at not succeeding rather than angst/dejection at failing.

I think the emotional highlight was rekindling & bonding back with her girl pal pilot & Brie came across as convincing IMO.
"It's like trying to teach a pig to sing.
It won't work & you just end up annoying the pig."
-Judge Judy.

nu-safado

• +7/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 19, 2019, 12:22:54 AM »
The film was best when it played like a buddy cop flick

When Fury and Danvers are out having adventures, Brie Larson is likeable, fun, and relatable. We're rooting for her.

When the film turns her into Marvel, it goes off the rails. Think of the hero's journey in comic movies every other character has had either learning how to use their power or the consequences they've suffered dealing with it

Cap took his whole first film to understand the man he is and the power he wields to fight and inspire. He didn't even get the shield or his real suit till midway to late in the film with a steep learning curve.

Iron Man nearly broke himself testing out al the versions of the Iron Man suit and he has trouble mastering it when he finally does take it to air

Hulk and Banner are fighting over the same body

Strange took his whole film just to become reasonably competent -with instructors - and he still needs time between his film and Infinity War to really become as powerful as he is

Marvel gets her powers, and within 2 seconds she knows how to use it like she's been using it her whole life and it's a gratuitous sort of "wheee" fight scene, blasts the bad guys, and flies off into space to swoop in for Endgame.

The impetuous, rash, Carol Danvers who's eager to prove herself is great. She's fun every time she's on-screen with Fury and her ability to be serious as a soldier but snarky with Fury is cool.

The nitpick - or annoyance - is that she wants her big hero moment from childhood on - her and Rambeau discuss it - and as soon as she gets her powers, not only does she not have a learning curve of any kind she doesn't have to confront an enemy to give her the moment she's wanted her whole life and is now hers. There's no charged battle against a formidable enemy.

It felt like a fun prelude to Endgame that generically set up a character, glossed over the character building and expects us to swallow it down because we're so invested in the universe that the universe itself can sell weaker stories.

Samuel Jackson and the supporting cast are all awesome, though I agree that lightening up the backstory so much waters down soe of my really favourite stories like Winter Soldier etc......... Jackson is 70 - I'd like to see a story about Shield itself before Jackson might be a little weighed down to pull off a convincing action role

80sBaby

• +35/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 19, 2019, 08:34:49 AM »
Um, Captain America knew who he was and what he was fighting for from the very beginning of his film. It wasn't about personal growth at all. He got his suit and shield before the midway point. Have you actually watched the movie?

Carol had her powers for a while, actually. Her knowing how to use then so quickly makes sense.

AP

• +135/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 19, 2019, 09:35:36 AM »
Um, Captain America knew who he was and what he was fighting for from the very beginning of his film. It wasn't about personal growth at all. He got his suit and shield before the midway point. Have you actually watched the movie?

Carol had her powers for a while, actually. Her knowing how to use then so quickly makes sense.

Yeah, she already had energy powers and super strength for about six years.  She just amped herself to the next level.  You can see her getting used to flight against Starforce just after she unlocked her full power.  That part works.

Bandido

• +10/-2
  • I can't let you do that Starfox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 19, 2019, 03:20:31 PM »
The "one arm behind the back comment."

I saw it last night. It was good, I like that it was more of a action set-piece standalone film then I direct part of the MCU. I know of course that ties in there are a number of ways a tizen but I was pleasantly surprised. Yes it had a whole lot of girl power moments, but it was supposed to. And they didn't come across as overly ham-fisted. What was ham-fisted was the fact that Fury took the avenger initiative from Carol's pilot moniker. I thought that was unneeded also Mar-Vell should have been a guy.

Brie Larson did a fine job is Captain Marvel, and she had every bit as much personality is Scarlett Johansson does is Black widow. any critique you may have to order is probably just towards the character, which is rather vanilla and very Deus ex Machina/Mary Sue.

AP

• +135/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 19, 2019, 03:25:14 PM »
Brie Larson did a fine job is Captain Marvel, and she had every bit as much personality is Scarlett Johansson does is Black widow. any critique you may have to order is probably just towards the character, which is rather vanilla and very Deus ex Machina/Mary Sue.

Maybe if we're talking about Iron Man 2 Black Widow.  From Avengers all the way until Infinity War, I think we get a solid idea of who she is, what her fears are, what motivates her, what she holds dear, what pisses her off, etc.

XerxesTWD

• +107/-27
  • You can't park here, buddy. Earth is closed today.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 19, 2019, 06:21:59 PM »

Maybe if we're talking about Iron Man 2 Black Widow.  From Avengers all the way until Infinity War, I think we get a solid idea of who she is, what her fears are, what motivates her, what she holds dear, what pisses her off, etc.
So over the course of several movies that don't include an origin story and her evolving interactions with a half dozen recurring characters?

Bandido

• +10/-2
  • I can't let you do that Starfox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 19, 2019, 06:28:55 PM »

Yeah, but that highlights the point. Black Widow has had more time.

AP

• +135/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 19, 2019, 07:11:33 PM »

Yeah, but that highlights the point. Black Widow has had more time.

I mean, I got a good idea of who she was in Avengers and that was only her second appearance.  Considering she is not a major player who has never had her own origin story, it's not glowing praise if she is a more complex character than someone who has their own movie.  I'm not sure how you think that's a compliment.