Herochat

Captain Marvel - spoilers inside

ProjectCornDog

• +16/-14
    • View Profile
Captain Marvel - spoilers inside
« on: March 08, 2019, 09:48:35 AM »
Captain Marvel basically fought aliens who was separating undocumented migrant children separated at the border. One thing I always loved about the MCU was how they stayed out of politics. I hate Trump's immigration views but this was a straight up rebuke of Trump's policies which is what I dont want in an MCU movie and something we haven't dealt with before.

No big bad guy fight, often super cringey, yes she became a Mary Sue, slow ass pacing, and overall just felt like a step down.

Nick Fury young was amazing though (effects wise).

5.7/10 for me.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 10:11:14 AM by NeoGreenLantern »

XerxesTWD

• +104/-27
  • You can't park here, buddy. Earth is closed today.
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Captain Marvel - No Spoilers
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 09:57:11 AM »
Captain Marvel basically fought aliens who was separating undocumented migrant children separated at the border. One thing I always loved about the MCU was how they stayed out of politics. I hate Trump's immigration views but this was a straight up rebuke of Trump's policies which is what I dont want in an MCU movie and something we haven't dealt with before.

No big bad guy fight, often super cringey, yes she became a Mary Sue, slow ass pacing, and overall just felt like a step down.

Nick Fury young was amazing though (effects wise).

5.7/10 for me.

That's a huge reach on pretty much every point you just tried to make.

NeoGreenLantern

• +99/-23
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Captain Marvel - No Spoilers
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 10:03:08 AM »
1: this isn't the first time they went into politics. Winter Soldier was all about government surveillance and intervention.

2: they fought aliens who were conquering worlds and leaving people without a home if they didn't obey. You're reeeaaaaallly projecting if you think that it had something to do with Trump's views. You'd have a better (but still eyerolling) argument if you said this movie was Pro-Isreal.

3: not every movie needs a big bad fight. Ant-Man and Wasp didn't have one, Dr. Strange didn't have one, hell Civil War didn't have one.

ProjectCornDog

• +16/-14
    • View Profile
Re: Captain Marvel - spoilers inside
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 10:21:37 AM »
1) Government surveillance is an age old modern question and both sides of the argument were presented (Iron Man, MCU's biggest character, was on the government's side). This was more propaganda. AND AGAIN, I hate Trump's immigration views. I believe we should have essentially open immigration (a more humane Ellis Island) while also having border security. But why is propaganda in these type of films?

2) It wasn't just leaving people without a home. The Kree, for some reason, was literally hunting down every single ones. The families were separated, like migrant children, and at one point Captain Marvel even insults the enemies and calls them border lovers (or whatever she said) .

3) Not every movie needs a big fight but there should always be an enemy potentially bigger than the character. Ronin ran away, the Supreme Intelligence wasn't even a match for chip restrained Captain Marvel, Judd Law's character got one-shotted.

After Captain Marvel's chip is removed, she can essentially do anything including traveling galaxies (she never had training to use her powers, it was always to limit her powers). Felt very Rei-esque, and similarities with the Last Jedi should be a no-no with MCU movies.

Just an overall step down for a universe that has done so great.

NeoGreenLantern

• +99/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 10:46:13 AM »
Ironman wasn't even part of the government surveillance argument. He wasn't in Winter Soldier. There wasn't even a two sided argument. It was Cap saying it was bad and Cap going see Hydra I was right. And immigration issues isn't some new thing either. It's something ever country has been dealing with long before mass surveillance. But hey if this was about immigration than you should be able to answer where the Skrulls we're immigranting to that cause the conflict.

It's a long standing trope for top tier heroes to take out their enemy by overpowering them once they tap into their full power. Thor took out the destroyer in like two minutes once he got his hammer back. Hulks whole thing is just becoming more powerful until he overpowers his for. Part of Dr. Strange's origin was that he instantly masters every bit of magic he learns because he was just that smart. He defeats Big D by mastering the time stone after having it for like a minute.

Not BAMF

• +23/-15
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 11:28:18 AM »
It was great, and likely a Top 10 MCU flick for me. Easily comparable to any of the other "origin" flicks from the series (Iron Man, Dr Strange, Black Panther).

Brie Larsen was amazing, and I'll watch 10 more MCU flicks starring her, please.

https://gotstratosphere.com/2019/03/08/bonus-show-3-8-19-marvels-captain/    <--- All my thoughts are there.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 11:31:30 AM by Not BAMF »
https://gotstratosphere.com/2019/03/26/show-3-26-18-hulks-planet/ (Review of Planet Hulk! And a discussion on who would be the DC Illuminati?)

XerxesTWD

• +104/-27
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2019, 11:30:12 AM »
1) Government surveillance is an age old modern question and both sides of the argument were presented (Iron Man, MCU's biggest character, was on the government's side). This was more propaganda. AND AGAIN, I hate Trump's immigration views. I believe we should have essentially open immigration (a more humane Ellis Island) while also having border security. But why is propaganda in these type of films?

2) It wasn't just leaving people without a home. The Kree, for some reason, was literally hunting down every single ones. The families were separated, like migrant children, and at one point Captain Marvel even insults the enemies and calls them border lovers (or whatever she said) .

3) Not every movie needs a big fight but there should always be an enemy potentially bigger than the character. Ronin ran away, the Supreme Intelligence wasn't even a match for chip restrained Captain Marvel, Judd Law's character got one-shotted.

After Captain Marvel's chip is removed, she can essentially do anything including traveling galaxies (she never had training to use her powers, it was always to limit her powers). Felt very Rei-esque, and similarities with the Last Jedi should be a no-no with MCU movies.

So much of what you're saying here isn't actually based on facts from the movies you're referencing.

ProjectCornDog

• +16/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 11:38:58 AM »

So much of what you're saying here isn't actually based on facts from the movies you're referencing.

Okay but your response is an assertion, not an argument.

But you guys are right, maybe a movie that includes a fight sequence with "Just a Girl" playing over it has genius artistic nuances that went over my head.

XerxesTWD

• +104/-27
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2019, 11:43:10 AM »
You're attributing this to Trump somehow, but an indictment on endless wars and hiding that they're attacking civilians and refugees is unfortunately very a much a part of the Republican and Democrat practices. Trump is continuing many of those policies.

You're projecting this into a Trump thing when people fighting in an actual war getting separated from their families existed before Trump.

If they were getting separated from their families trying to emigrate to Earth or Xandar something your analogy might hold even a little water.

There were enemies potentially bigger than the character. Then she destroyed one of their massive warships and they shit their pants.

The Supreme Intelligence was fighting her remotely. She won by overloading the inhibitor chip (pretty damn common in SciFi/Fantasy) and then destroying the physical interface with her powers.

She was directly connected to the tesseract and flying around in space wasn't an issue. Traveling elsewhere would be the easiest application of her powerset, especially because she was a pilot who spent her whole life wanting to go faster and hit harder.

altoon

• +12/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2019, 11:50:01 AM »
At what point in the movie were the skrull children separated from there parent take place that you keep talking about Projectcorndog?

ProjectCornDog

• +16/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2019, 12:02:53 PM »
Altoon, the scene where the Skrull was reunited with his family and children that were on the hidden ship on Earth's orbit and the Skrulls continued to explain there's more families like them separated. The cheeky line about borders by Captain Marvel soon after made it clear what they were referencing.

Xerxes, I did not see this movie as an anti-war movie, surprised you had that perspective honestly. The film ended with Captain Marvel declaring war on all of them. I never even understood the Kree's objective for genociding the Skrulls after they booted them from their homes (aside from the ones chasing looking for the Tesseract), the point Ronan was willing to destroy Earth merely because a few stranders were on the planet.

And specifically, what enemies were bigger than the characters? None that I saw on screen. You can let your imagination run wild on who was on those warships, but there was never any hint that an uninhibited Captain Marvel was in any danger or had any threats. You can use the Thor 1 movie was an example like Neo did, but whats the point when Thor 1 was an excessively mediocre movie saved by the fact it was an early attempt at making a universe work?

XerxesTWD

• +104/-27
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2019, 12:05:44 PM »
Altoon, the scene where the Skrull was reunited with his family and children that were on the hidden ship on Earth's orbit and the Skrulls continued to explain there's more families like them separated. The cheeky line about borders by Captain Marvel soon after made it clear what they were referencing.

Xerxes, I did not see this movie as an anti-war movie, surprised you had that perspective honestly. The film ended with Captain Marvel declaring war on all of them. I never even understood the Kree's objective for genociding the Skrulls after they booted them from their homes (aside from the ones chasing looking for the Tesseract), the point Ronan was willing to destroy Earth merely because a few stranders were on the planet.

And specifically, what enemies were bigger than the characters? None that I saw on screen. You can let your imagination run wild on who was on those warships, but there was never any hint that an uninhibited Captain Marvel was in any danger or had any threats. You can use the Thor 1 movie was an example like Neo did, but whats the point when Thor 1 was an excessively mediocre movie saved by the fact it was an early attempt at making a universe work?

You didn't see the movie repeatedly referring to an unjust war supported by media propaganda being an anti-war movie? Did you really watch the movie? Be honest.

NeoGreenLantern

• +99/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2019, 12:06:05 PM »

But you guys are right, maybe a movie that includes a fight sequence with "Just a Girl" playing over it has genius artistic nuances that went over my head.

Ahhh so it's the "girl power!" Stuff you didn't enjoy. You could have just said that.

ProjectCornDog

• +16/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2019, 12:07:39 PM »
Are you getting mad that I didn't like a film you like? Anti-war films don't end with war being the solution. Obviously she was against the Kree war.

ProjectCornDog

• +16/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2019, 12:08:17 PM »

Ahhh so it's the "girl power!" Stuff you didn't enjoy. You could have just said that.

I know it would fit your narrative but I don't expect someone who sees nothing wrong with Darkseid's Smile Contest to understand a single complaint I had with this movie.