Herochat

Rank the current iterations of fighting game franchises

Kallor

• +8/-1
    • View Profile
Rank the current iterations of fighting game franchises
« on: March 07, 2019, 07:58:19 PM »
Best to worst in terms of quality, list how you see the current iterations of these franchises:

Street Fighter V
Mortal Kombat X/11 (11's out next month and extensive gameplay vids and discussions exist)
Tekken 7
Soul Calibur VI
Dead or Alive 6
BlazBlue (Central Fiction? Cross Tag Battle?  Not super familiar with this franchise and if CTB is a main entry)
Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN-

Most of us have probably not played every one of these, so do the ones you can.  I didn't include everything but I tried to remember the more established franchises with multiple sequels.  Smash Bros feels like a different animal than the above, but please feel free to include Super Smash Bros Ultimate if you'd like.

Red Exodus

• +15/-23
  • The one you've been smashing for!
    • View Profile
Re: Rank the current iterations of fighting game franchises
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 03:00:58 AM »
Best to worst in terms of quality :
1. Smash
2. Street Fighter
3. Tekken / Mortal Kombat 11
4. Soul Caliber VI
5. Dead or Alive 6
6. Guilty Gear
7. BlazeBlue / Cross Tag

Kallor

• +8/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 05:41:11 AM »
Best to worst in terms of quality :
1. Smash
2. Street Fighter
3. Tekken / Mortal Kombat 11
4. Soul Caliber VI
5. Dead or Alive 6
6. Guilty Gear
7. BlazeBlue / Cross Tag

Wow, we are on the same wavelength.  In regards to the Tekken/Mortal Kombat split there, I think I would say that Tekken plays slightly better but Mortal Kombat has a better experience as a whole.  Netherrealm really goes all out with the content, presentation, story mode, and the kombat is still pretty good as well.  I'm also more attached to the MK characters and universe so that probably plays a role in it.

Soul Calibur VI and DOA 6 are pretty close for me, but I think I agree with your ranking there.  Both seem stuck in the past, with the new games being a lot of fun but too similar to the last iteration.

Red Exodus

• +15/-23
  • The one you've been smashing for!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2019, 03:44:13 PM »
Wow, we are on the same wavelength.  In regards to the Tekken/Mortal Kombat split there, I think I would say that Tekken plays slightly better but Mortal Kombat has a better experience as a whole.  Netherrealm really goes all out with the content, presentation, story mode, and the kombat is still pretty good as well.  I'm also more attached to the MK characters and universe so that probably plays a role in it.

Soul Calibur VI and DOA 6 are pretty close for me, but I think I agree with your ranking there.  Both seem stuck in the past, with the new games being a lot of fun but too similar to the last iteration.

The problem with the anime fighters (imo) is that Arc Systems has a reputation for being very late with
changes to their meta, especially with updates and balance changes. Unlike with other fighters, when
they make nerfs to a character, that character will still be viable, just not as oppressive. In Arc's fighters,
X character almost never gets nerfed, they may just buff someone else but ignore a large majority or
barely give them anything to help compete. Their meta is incredibly stale and boring to watch with hardly
any variety. There's also a fuckton of broken shit. Seriously, half the roster in any of these games are
overpowered as fuck. I'm looking at you Zato-1. The story modes for Arc's games are also some of the
worst writing I've ever seen to come from Japan. Guilty Gear Xrd's sequel is some of the most boring,
and just plain awful story-telling to come from a franchise with so much goddamn potential. And Blazeblue
is easily one of the most convoluted/worst story narratives to ever hit any video game medium, going
neck to neck with Kingdom Hearts in terms of story telling fuckery and nonsense.

DoA 6 and Soul Cal are still "new" and haven't yet finished developing their meta. There are still a few
fighters who aren't seen a lot, but it could grow in time. DoA 6 in terms of a game is good, but everything
else about it is weak. The DLC greediness is downright insulting, as well as its laughably garbage "story
mode." You know its bad when your earlier games, which had almost no story content outside of their
Arcade Modes, are significantly above your current game. Shit, even DoA 5 had a better story than 6.

Soul Cal needed a hard reboot, as it had been straying too far from what players liked. It was obvious that
they didn't know where to take the franchise, and after the abysmal performances and public reactions to
4 & 5, they needed to hit the "reboot" button. Now hopefully, they don't repeat their mistakes.

SF sucks in terms of almost everything, but because of its brand name, history, etc., it has to, by default,
be at a high ranking. It's still popular, it's still accessible, and it's still got all the major backing by its
publisher compared to any other company.

Smash will always be the biggest. It just reaches so many different types of players. And the numbers
don't lie, EVO hit its highest ratings because it had Smash in it. And credit must be given to Ultimate,
they really did a huge number on balancing changes, as this is probably the most diverse and viable
set of characters out of any fighting game to date. I hardly ever see mirror matches or the same handful
of rotating top tiers that most fighters are guilty of. IMO, this game is the best its ever been, and is the
best in terms of balance and quality.

If you took SF out of the equation, Tekken and MK are close 2nd. They both have large rosters, both
have solid presentations, and both are increasingly popular (Moreso in two different area, Tekken for
the East, and MK for the West respectively). MK offers a lot more single player content then any other
fighter (with the exception of SSBM, that had an incredibly amount of solo content). Tekken is a name
that is arguably "more respected" then MK though, as it is again, arguably a more serious fighter, but
has a lot more charm and silliness.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 03:50:12 PM by Red Exodus »