Herochat

Captain Marvel - No Spoilers

XerxesTWD

• +104/-27
  • You can't park here, buddy. Earth is closed today.
    • View Profile
Re: Captain Marvel - No Spoilers
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2019, 06:33:45 PM »
Since there has always been a sense of gravitas and mystique surrounding the removal of his eye, it's a bit disappointing that it ends up as a joke.  It's like if Star Wars Episode III had Vader slip on a banana peel and fall into lava to explain why he needed the suit.  I wasn't expecting anything big and monumental, but I figured it would at least be something dramatic.

Especially considering that scene in Winter Soldier where he talks about losing an eye because he made a trust issue.

"Last time I trusted someone I lost an eye."
That actually winds up fitting perfectly, then.

But it kills the drama of that scene in Winter Soldier.
Not for me. People say shit like that all the time in tense situations.

Pretend to be a badass to hide an embarrassing ouchie?  I guess they could but those who do are generally very weak people overall.
I guess if you want to oversimplify something because you haven't seen it or ever had a conversation in your entire life, that would make sense.

AP

• +132/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2019, 06:37:43 PM »
I've had conversations where people were full of shit and/or trying to pretend to be something that they weren't.  It's never a good look.

But you are right in that I haven't seen the movie yet.  I'll leave this here for now and on Tuesday night, I'll have a clear idea of how it all plays out.  I'll probably come back here and say "NOTHING'S CHANGED YOU BALD PRICK" but I will give it a fair shake.

XerxesTWD

• +104/-27
  • You can't park here, buddy. Earth is closed today.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2019, 06:43:05 PM »
I've had conversations where people were full of shit and/or trying to pretend to be something that they weren't.  It's never a good look.

But you are right in that I haven't seen the movie yet.  I'll leave this here for now and on Tuesday night, I'll have a clear idea of how it all plays out.  I'll probably come back here and say "NOTHING'S CHANGED YOU BALD PRICK" but I will give it a fair shake.
You might say that. I think Nick Fury using the mystery of his eye injury to add gravity to a point is a useful, legitimate conversational tactic.

And that's why you always leave a note.

ProjectCornDog

• +16/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2019, 07:02:36 PM »
Since there has always been a sense of gravitas and mystique surrounding the removal of his eye, it's a bit disappointing that it ends up as a joke.  It's like if Star Wars Episode III had Vader slip on a banana peel and fall into lava to explain why he needed the suit.  I wasn't expecting anything big and monumental, but I figured it would at least be something dramatic.

Especially considering that scene in Winter Soldier where he talks about losing an eye because he made a trust issue.

"Last time I trusted someone I lost an eye."
That actually winds up fitting perfectly, then.

But it kills the drama of that scene in Winter Soldier.
Not for me. People say shit like that all the time in tense situations.

Pretend to be a badass to hide an embarrassing ouchie?  I guess they could but those who do are generally very weak people overall.

Basically that's what the scene in Captain Marvel turned the scene in Winter Soldier into. Yeah.

« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2019, 07:23:31 PM »
The eye was just trolling a bit. The reveal was meant to be silly.
Yeah I think we all get the intention. I think most of us just didn't like it.

pittfox

• +5/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2019, 11:46:44 PM »
Haha yeah I most certainly see the anger here. Then again he got his injury from a bad ass alien that could eat kree and the Tessarect.

AP

• +132/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2019, 03:26:41 PM »
NOTHING’S CHANGED YOU BALD PRICK!