Herochat

Captain Marvel - No Spoilers

Re: Captain Marvel - No Spoilers
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2019, 02:20:12 PM »
I will see it on Tuesday.  My only worry is the reveal of how Fury lost his eye which has been spoiled to me a bit and sounds ridiculously stupid and on the level of the "Martha" scene from BvS.  Without going into much detail, obviously, were you guys satisfied with how it played out?
I didn't feel like it came out of nowhere but it definitely felt like a letdown for me personally.

XerxesTWD

• +104/-27
  • You can't park here, buddy. Earth is closed today.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2019, 02:21:17 PM »
I'm not sure what people were expecting. Pai Mei to snatch out the eye?

« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2019, 02:38:01 PM »
I don't think it's a matter of expecting anything. I wasn't expecting an origin story of his eye lol. I just didn't like it. Not sure what to tell you beyond that.

NeoGreenLantern

• +99/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2019, 02:52:41 PM »

I personally would have preferred the story Coulson tells over what happened but it's not really any type of deal breaker.

AP

• +132/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2019, 03:09:43 PM »
Since there has always been a sense of gravitas and mystique surrounding the removal of his eye, it's a bit disappointing that it ends up as a joke.  It's like if Star Wars Episode III had Vader slip on a banana peel and fall into lava to explain why he needed the suit.  I wasn't expecting anything big and monumental, but I figured it would at least be something dramatic.

ProjectCornDog

• +16/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2019, 03:11:03 PM »
Since there has always been a sense of gravitas and mystique surrounding the removal of his eye, it's a bit disappointing that it ends up as a joke.  It's like if Star Wars Episode III had Vader slip on a banana peel and fall into lava to explain why he needed the suit.  I wasn't expecting anything big and monumental, but I figured it would at least be something dramatic.

Especially considering that scene in Winter Soldier where he talks about losing an eye because he made a trust issue.

"Last time I trusted someone I lost an eye."

« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2019, 03:23:22 PM »
I would have preferred us just not knowing

AP

• +132/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2019, 03:30:07 PM »
I would have preferred us just not knowing

I'd be cool with that too.  Make it a noodle incident.

pittfox

• +5/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2019, 03:42:50 PM »
 The eye was just trolling a bit. The reveal was meant to be silly.

Mightily Oats

• +80/-582
  • Master of Fagnetism
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2019, 03:44:41 PM »
The eye was just trolling a bit. The reveal was meant to be silly.
"Meant to be" doesn't mean it was good or effective.

pittfox

• +5/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2019, 04:46:04 PM »
It also doesn't mean it was bad. I get it though. Everything in Marvel is interconnected and there is a story that has a cool reveal like Bucky killing Tony's parents or Red Skull guarding the Soul Stone, etc. It's fun to do the opposite. Of all the criticisms the eye thing wasn't even on the radar to be mentioned.

XerxesTWD

• +104/-27
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2019, 05:18:27 PM »

Especially considering that scene in Winter Soldier where he talks about losing an eye because he made a trust issue.

That actually winds up fitting perfectly, then.

AP

• +132/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2019, 05:31:41 PM »

But it kills the drama of that scene in Winter Soldier.

XerxesTWD

• +104/-27
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2019, 05:43:15 PM »

Not for me. People say shit like that all the time in tense situations.

AP

• +132/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2019, 06:13:18 PM »

Not for me. People say shit like that all the time in tense situations.

Pretend to be a badass to hide an embarrassing ouchie?  I guess they could but those who do are generally very weak people overall.