Herochat

Characters you thought would be special and then didn't?

Riv1

• +78/-1066
    • View Profile
Re: Characters you thought would be special and then didn't?
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2019, 07:38:24 AM »
Just thought:
Damage.
Heard good things about him from ppl here and KMC, which got me to try the book, which i enjoyed. A DC version of the Hulk, which theyve never managed to pull off. Thought it was doing well but guess not since it was cancelled.

ProjectCornDog

• +17/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2019, 09:52:17 PM »
Ares(MU).
While I know it's hard for him to find his own relevant place in the MU and while I dont like Bendis, he was good  under his run.(well...aside his death).

:-( :-( They never did bring him back. He was so cool. His original mini-series was amazing too.

Animalia

• +12/-7
  • Ca nisciun è fess!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2019, 02:20:33 AM »
Ares(MU).
While I know it's hard for him to find his own relevant place in the MU and while I dont like Bendis, he was good  under his run.(well...aside his death).

:-( :-( They never did bring him back. He was so cool. His original mini-series was amazing too.
Are you talking about the one where he trained these soldiers?
If it is, it was a very good and sad reading.

Sick Nick

• +10/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2019, 10:35:24 AM »
It seemed like the X-Men titles were pushing Random as the next big thing in the 90s after Cable, Bishop etc. but he totally stalled. Never caught peoples' imaginations. Most new characters from that time period sucked to be fair. They looked so dated even compared with new characters in the 80s - all gritty, wearing trenchcoats or dusters with shades and chomping on cigars.
Hyrkanian Badass

He'll be buying drinks all night then.

Red Exodus

• +15/-23
  • The one you've been smashing for!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2019, 05:12:19 PM »
I'd say Image and their early work fall under this. No one talks about either of the characters

Savage Dragon, Shadow Hawk, Youngblood, Spawn, WildC.A.T.S., Wetworks, and Cyberforce.

Even though there are some great, cool characters here, they are literally forgotten for the
most part, with a very small handful of exceptions. No one is talking about the "latest issue",
or has there been any major news or accolades following any of the above franchises past
their high point in the 90's.

AP

• +135/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2019, 06:39:10 PM »
It's sad since I've always liked Dragon and Erik Larsen is beating Dave Sim's 300 issue world record.

Riv1

• +78/-1066
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2019, 08:46:40 PM »
Yeah, Larsen is the only Image founder who actually did what they all set out to do. Get a character out there and out everything he has into it.
While everyone else handed off creative duties, or just let their books die off, he’s kept steadily plugging away since day one.
Much respect.