Herochat

Characters you thought would be special and then didn't?

Propeus The Fallen

• +37/-6
    • View Profile
Characters you thought would be special and then didn't?
« on: March 05, 2019, 09:10:23 AM »
What character did you think would end up being special or at least used and instead was either pushed aside.

I'm thinking most of Kurt Busiek characters in the late nineties.

Jolt looked like she was going to be a breakout character, and she kinda was, and then nobody seemed to want to use her.

Same with the Examplars. You have a group of Juggernauts level characters with various powers and personalities and--I think they showed up in just one storyline. I mean WTF?

AP

• +135/-56
    • View Profile
Re: Characters you thought would be special and then didn't?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 11:58:38 AM »
American Eagle during the Dark Avengers arc.  Obviously, the guy had been around for years but they seemed to be really giving him a push in Thunderbolts but ended up doing nothing with him.

Kallor

• +8/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 12:02:02 PM »
I don't know if this counts since he had a pretty good run, but Genis is somebody who felt like a big deal at the time and is now pretty much forgotten. 

AP

• +135/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 12:30:03 PM »
I don't know if this counts since he had a pretty good run, but Genis is somebody who felt like a big deal at the time and is now pretty much forgotten.

I think Joe Quesada said he didn't like him?  That might have had something to do with it.

Also, as long as we're talking about Genis, we can add X-Man to the list of uber-powerful and younger versions of previously established heroes who were big in the late 90's/early 00's but faded away.

ProjectCornDog

• +17/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2019, 01:43:18 PM »
I didn't expect Sentry to be such a crash and burn failure that they would eventually have him be a full blown villain and be killed off. As someone who hated Sentry from the start, it was a surprise I didn't see coming and I couldn't have been happier.

Exemplars and American Eagle are good examples. It definitely did seem like Joe Kelly helped create a path that Harry could go on that was distinctly different from the decades in the past and in a way that made sense. Exemplars were badass and were in an Avengers book most Avengers fans have read. I assume the book sold well too?

I was GOING to say Monica Rambeau. I remember her from Secret Wars and she came off as a strong, independent black woman with an interesting history and cool look. But apparently she came back in Infinity.

AP

• +135/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2019, 01:49:54 PM »
When it comes to Sentry, his original miniseries was supposed to have a clear cut ending.  Brian Michael Bendis was the one who brought him back and did nothing with him.  Then again, BMB was really good at setups with no payoffs.

Kallor

• +8/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2019, 02:03:44 PM »

I think Joe Quesada said he didn't like him?  That might have had something to do with it.

I thought that was Bill Jemas, but he was generally in line with whatever Quesada thought so it probably did stem from there.

Also, as long as we're talking about Genis, we can add X-Man to the list of uber-powerful and younger versions of previously established heroes who were big in the late 90's/early 00's but faded away.

X-Man is a good one, yeah, had a long run and was pretty central in some crossover in the 90's but passed into obscurity until just recently. 

Kallor

• +8/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2019, 02:05:37 PM »
Then again, BMB was really good at setups with no payoffs.

Yeah, I remember getting interested in the teased biblical backstory to The Void, set up practically right before they killed Sentry off and stopped using the character. 

Riv1

• +78/-1066
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2019, 04:06:11 PM »
What character did you think would end up being special or at least used and instead was either pushed aside.

I'm thinking most of Kurt Busiek characters in the late nineties.

Jolt looked like she was going to be a breakout character, and she kinda was, and then nobody seemed to want to use her.

Same with the Examplars. You have a group of Juggernauts level characters with various powers and personalities and--I think they showed up in just one storyline. I mean WTF?

Jolt’s a great choice.
As a character, in-story, she got screwed.
As a character, comics wise, she was just wasted.

I thought Maggot, Marrow, and Cecilia Reyes were going to be the next generation of X Men, integral to the team from then till now. Boy was i wrong.   

I didn't expect Sentry to be such a crash and burn failure that they would eventually have him be a full blown villain and be killed off.
I did.
I knew he was crap from the minute Wizard broke the fake/planted story of finding the lost character, to the horrendous mini series that followed and every appearance after.
Cuh-rap.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 04:09:42 PM by Riv1 »

pittfox

• +5/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2019, 05:28:05 AM »
Darkhawk was Cool for a minute. Gambit is a good choice too. I really liked Joseph too.

Accel

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2019, 10:27:56 PM »
I remember when the female Scorpion was hinted at possibly being Bruce Banner's daughter around the time when Hulk gained 3 other kids, but it was never confirmed one way or another.   As far as I know, she hasn't really popped back up since.

Red Exodus

• +15/-23
  • The one you've been smashing for!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2019, 04:37:18 AM »
Anti-Venom, who quickly died out and was forgotten. Although the
concept was pretty stupid in that of itself.

ProjectCornDog

• +17/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2019, 06:43:03 PM »

It was stupid but it was cool in the sense that we FINALLY saw Eddie back as the Lethal Protector in a way that wouldn't interrupt the current Venom story at the time.

isolated however, yeah, silly.

Animalia

• +12/-7
  • Ca nisciun è fess!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2019, 02:39:25 PM »
Ares(MU).
While I know it's hard for him to find his own relevant place in the MU and while I dont like Bendis, he was good  under his run.(well...aside his death).

Riv1

• +78/-1066
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2019, 05:38:58 PM »

It was stupid but it was cool in the sense that we FINALLY saw Eddie back as the Lethal Protector in a way that wouldn't interrupt the current Venom story at the time.

isolated however, yeah, silly.
I thought Anti Venom was a clever name, but thats about it.