Herochat

Male only draft ruled unconstitutional

Riv1

• +78/-1066
    • View Profile
Re: Male only draft ruled unconstitutional
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2019, 05:49:35 AM »
No draft.

Forcing people to fight is fucking tyrannical.

No way would the U.S. public ever support a draft at this period of time.

^^^attitudes like that is why the draft will never (and can never) go away.
In the case of a national emergency, there would never be enough volunteers.

PPL that enjoy all the benefits of their country and refuse to fight for it when called to SICKEN me. Done here.

Thanos6

• +21/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2019, 06:04:44 AM »
No draft.

PPL that enjoy all the benefits of their country and refuse to fight for it when called to SICKEN me. Done here.

Depends on what the reason for the draft is. If Trump or one of his ideological heirs go full fascist and have us invading other countries, then fuck that.
Truten forever!

AP

• +132/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2019, 07:58:16 AM »
If I have to protect my homeland in the case of an invasion, I will absolutely fight.  If I have to go to another country and kill people over resources or for political reasons, then I'm not fighting for my freedom.  I'm fighting for people in power.

It doesn't help that those in power do everything they can to ensure their sons and daughters never see a second of battle.  It's always the lower classes that end up having to kill or be killed.

Mightily Oats

• +80/-582
  • Master of Fagnetism
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2019, 12:46:17 PM »
More women on steroids with thumb clits, eh?

NeoGreenLantern

• +99/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2019, 03:19:11 PM »
I'm against the draft because I would think forcing people into war who don't really want to be there can lead to more problems for the people who do.

Red Exodus

• +15/-23
  • The one you've been smashing for!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2019, 10:19:56 PM »

Bullshit. There are a ton of people who want to serve. The military is particularly squeemish
about LGBT people, but once its a National Emergency, you better believe that they'll be one
of the first to get signed up.

Besides, never underestimate the American citizen's inability to not fall for War Propaganda.

Because we should all be mindless sheep and jump at the country's beck and call no matter
the context right? Its that sort of stupidity and single mindedness that SICKENS me. You
are done here drone.

Panthergod

• +49/-87
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2019, 10:31:14 PM »
Weak minded followers like riv who worship those that hate them are the worst. Even when their fetish objects utterly reject them.

therock

• +56/-65
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2019, 03:19:13 AM »
No draft.

I think it was Nam, that killed the draft. People all for fighting Evil nazi..but your get shoved into a meat grinder for some dumb shit..thats another issue. when 911 happen their were plenty of volunteers. some of the iraq stuff that went on forever not so much

And if your low on volunteers...then maybe be a bit more open who you accept.

And if not volunteering cowardly...why would you want some scared little bitch in a field of battle with you if they force to be there. Seem to be that would be a liability

MTL76

• +1138/-119
  • Knives in the senate house?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2019, 04:18:40 PM »
One of the problems with the draft was that there were so many ways for the wealthy and politically connected to get out of it. Deferments for college also seemed like BS to me. Why should a trainee mechanic get drafted but an English major gets to avoid it?

Arguing for getting rid of the draft because we have enough volunteers is flawed because the whole purpose of the draft is that it’s for worst case scenarios where we need manpower beyond what we normally have. Better to have it and not need it.

Actually, my argument was that our technology is advancing enough that infantry is not needed.

I think infantry will always be needed. But my point was that just because we are highly unlikely to need a draft, is IMHO not a reason to get rid of Selective Service. You are probably right in that it will never be activated, but that just means that signing up for it is no hardship at all, so what's the harm in having it ready just in case?

That being said, there are bigger problems with the draft. The unfairness in the way it was applied, as I mentioned above, is one of them. The fact that it could be used for wars that are of no benefit to the nation, but are of benefit to the elite classes, is another. Case in point, Vietnam. What an utterly pointless war and unnecessary loss of life. And for what?

The draft should be for situations where the nation itself is in peril.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 04:22:53 PM by MTL76 »

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

AP

• +132/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2019, 04:51:14 PM »
One of the problems with the draft was that there were so many ways for the wealthy and politically connected to get out of it. Deferments for college also seemed like BS to me. Why should a trainee mechanic get drafted but an English major gets to avoid it?

Arguing for getting rid of the draft because we have enough volunteers is flawed because the whole purpose of the draft is that it’s for worst case scenarios where we need manpower beyond what we normally have. Better to have it and not need it.

Actually, my argument was that our technology is advancing enough that infantry is not needed.

I think infantry will always be needed. But my point was that just because we are highly unlikely to need a draft, is IMHO not a reason to get rid of Selective Service. You are probably right in that it will never be activated, but that just means that signing up for it is no hardship at all, so what's the harm in having it ready just in case?

That being said, there are bigger problems with the draft. The unfairness in the way it was applied, as I mentioned above, is one of them. The fact that it could be used for wars that are of no benefit to the nation, but are of benefit to the elite classes, is another. Case in point, Vietnam. What an utterly pointless war and unnecessary loss of life. And for what?

The draft should be for situations where the nation itself is in peril.

You seem like you can't make up your mind whether or not you want a draft.

MTL76

• +1138/-119
  • Knives in the senate house?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2019, 05:34:00 PM »
I’m fine with Selective Service but don’t like the way the draft has been implemented, historically.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium