This one’s always fun.

Ali.

Bandido

• +10/-2
  • I can't let you do that Starfox.
    • View Profile
Re: Muhammad Ali vs Mike Tyson
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 03:14:27 PM »
Ali dealt with the heaviest hitters in heavyweight History. Liston, Frazier, Shavers and Foreman. He beat them all, though Frazier does have a win over him in a fight that likely took part of the souls of them both.

None of those guys had the same kind of power as Tyson. Tyson had an explosive powers that knocked you out of your senses. - Kid Dynamite. But Those aforementioned had more of a sledge hammer, - make you question your place in the game, kind of power.

Tyson also had trouble when he couldn't intimidate or runaway with a win over his opponents and Ali had the best poker demeanor in Boxing history, he's just as fast, taller and packs quite the punch himself.

Ali 8/10

Wyntyr

• +116/-83
  • Literally The Devil
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 03:27:50 PM »
Tyson is Gladiator.

Ali is Superman.

Ali is going to to test Tyson's confidence like nothing he's ever seen before. And once that goes, so does Tyson.

Ali 7-8/10
The tree grows high but the oxygen fails to reach all the branches

Riv1

• +78/-1066
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 05:25:36 AM »
I know i’ve seen ppl argue in Tyson’s favor here before, against Ali. Was expecting a back and forth already.

MTL76

• +1141/-119
  • Knives in the senate house?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 06:11:02 AM »
I am not a major boxing fan but Tyson is the only fighter who I’ve seen who looked like he was going to take his opponent’s head clean off his shoulders when he connected. To the point that I’m amazed he never killed anyone in the ring.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

Bandido

• +10/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 09:19:41 AM »
Look up the hook that Joe Frazier delivered to Muhammad Ali near the end of their first fight.

A lot of Tyson's explosiveness came from his size and how compact he was. The man was almost as wide and dense as he was tall we was still super fast just due to being more concentrated in size than most heavyweights.

Mightily Oats

• +80/-582
  • Master of Fagnetism
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 09:40:06 AM »
Tyson has already admitted that Ali would destroy him, and that being Tyson's mindset from the get-go would already give the win to Ali

Panthergod

• +49/-87
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 04:22:37 PM »
Tyson is Gladiator.

Ali is Superman.

Ali is going to to test Tyson's confidence like nothing he's ever seen before. And once that goes, so does Tyson.

Ali 7-8/10

Perfect.

Hulkster

• +14/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 05:02:41 PM »
Ali dealt with the heaviest hitters in heavyweight History. Liston, Frazier, Shavers and Foreman. He beat them all, though Frazier does have a win over him in a fight that likely took part of the souls of them both.

None of those guys had the same kind of power as Tyson. Tyson had an explosive powers that knocked you out of your senses. - Kid Dynamite. But Those aforementioned had more of a sledge hammer, - make you question your place in the game, kind of power.

Tyson also had trouble when he couldn't intimidate or runaway with a win over his opponents and Ali had the best poker demeanor in Boxing history, he's just as fast, taller and packs quite the punch himself.

Ali 8/10

This is a very good analysis. Tyson has never won a tough scrap where he has to battle back from the brink. He was either dominant or he lost. Even his fight with Ruddock was one sided despite Ruddock firing cannons himself.

Ali has faced harder hitters but none with the combination of power, speed and accuracy of Tyson. Tyson lacked Joe Frazier's range and depended more on getting close (Joe would almost leap in with his hook).  It would be interesting but I give it to Ali.

Bandido

• +10/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2019, 12:15:31 AM »
Exactly, Ali fought a murderers row of heavyweights and beat them all. Think about like that and yes Ali never fought someone like Tyson (physical, not perceptively - George was seen as the Boogeyman), Tyson never fought anyone close to Ali.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 12:18:00 AM by Bandido »

pittfox

• +5/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2019, 03:06:30 AM »
Tyson is underrated. I think he edges this out.

Bandido

• +10/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2019, 04:09:41 PM »
I think a 1980's Tyson vs a 1960's Ali is actually closer than Prime Tyson vs non-physical prime Ali. The 70's Ali had such grit, he could not be denied until the last of him began to crumble.

So Tyson on any given day could potentially beat Ali. But on most days Ali would beat Tyson.

pittfox

• +5/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2019, 04:15:52 PM »
First thing the Tyson that lost to Douglas was not a good Tyson. He was barely training being wild and getting dropped in sparring. His chin is also something really is never mentioned when talking about his attributes.

Tyson didn't get an chance to truly prove himself back to where he went to prison.

I do like Bandido write up though.

GeneralPresidentSkeletor

• +81/-16
  • "He speaks so well!" - white people, everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2019, 09:55:26 PM »
First thing the Tyson that lost to Douglas was not a good Tyson. He was barely training being wild and getting dropped in sparring. His chin is also something really is never mentioned when talking about his attributes.

Tyson didn't get an chance to truly prove himself back to where he went to prison.

I do like Bandido write up though.
Tyson also ostensibly KO’ed Douglas early in the fight. Buster benefited from a long 10 count (like 12-13 seconds), and Mike going into the later rounds with his shit training camp, wilding out in Japan and the problems in his marriage (Robin was seeing Brad Pitt on the sly around the same time or soon after) took its toll. Buster won, according to the records, but there was a whole lot of shit going on in Tyson’s life that took his focus off the fight.

That said, Ali would “fight tall”, keep his jab in Tyson’s face all night and take the decision, more often than not.