Herochat

Who is the best pure athlete to have ever set foot in the ring?

Sick Nick

• +10/-2
    • View Profile
Re: Who is the best pure athlete to have ever set foot in the ring?
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2019, 03:48:04 AM »
I highly doubt Ron or Doc were nearly as fast as Lesnar, but good pick with Danny Hodge. As a fellow Oklahoma boy, I'm ashamed that I didn't think of him

At FSU, Ron ran the 40 yard dash in 4.6 seconds, faster than Lesnar ... admittedly he was also a lot lighter at the time as well but according to his coach Bobby Bowden, his strength was obscene.
Hyrkanian Badass

He'll be buying drinks all night then.

Sick Nick

• +10/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2019, 03:55:07 AM »
Lesnar was an elite college wrestler, walked onto an NFL team lacking years of experience (he did get cut) and UFC champion.

It depends on if you think Olympic Gold medal exceeds that combo of things. I’m not sure. Torn like Natalie Imbruglia

Lesnar was ultimately cut from the NFL, like you say (he said football wasn't for him) and his NCAA accomplishments obviously don't match Angle's Olympic success. For me, it's hard to compare UFC or most martial arts with 'legit sports' ... I mean, I've never thought of Bruce Lee as an elite athlete. Probably should but I haven't.

I think Kurt's Olympic gold trumps pretty much anything. That's a level of athletic success that BRAWK! will never, ever achieve.

Lesnar really stands out from the crowd and is definitely one of the best all-round athletes in pro wrestling history ... but I don't think he's THE best.
Hyrkanian Badass

Sick Nick

• +10/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2019, 04:03:27 AM »
Does Goldberg merit consideration? I just read his 40 yard dash was 4.5 seconds and obviously he had crazy explosive strength plus a successful NFL career
Hyrkanian Badass

Riv1

• +78/-1066
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2019, 05:35:21 AM »
^^^Goldberg’s stamina in the ring is something his naysayers have always nayed, but no idea how true it is.

Wyntyr

• +115/-83
  • Literally The Devil
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2019, 10:04:23 AM »
Lesnar was an elite college wrestler, walked onto an NFL team lacking years of experience (he did get cut) and UFC champion.

It depends on if you think Olympic Gold medal exceeds that combo of things. I’m not sure. Torn like Natalie Imbruglia

Lesnar was ultimately cut from the NFL, like you say (he said football wasn't for him) and his NCAA accomplishments obviously don't match Angle's Olympic success. For me, it's hard to compare UFC or most martial arts with 'legit sports' ... I mean, I've never thought of Bruce Lee as an elite athlete. Probably should but I haven't.

I think Kurt's Olympic gold trumps pretty much anything. That's a level of athletic success that BRAWK! will never, ever achieve.

Lesnar really stands out from the crowd and is definitely one of the best all-round athletes in pro wrestling history ... but I don't think he's THE best.

Bruce Lee is absolutely an elite athlete
The tree grows high but the oxygen fails to reach all the branches

Sick Nick

• +10/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2019, 10:21:02 AM »

Bruce Lee is absolutely an elite athlete

No question, I've just never instinctively thought of him as an athlete for some reason, no idea why. I've no problem thinking of boxers or amateur wrestlers as athletes but not other martial artists. There's no rhyme or reason behind such idiocy.
Hyrkanian Badass

Sick Nick

• +10/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2019, 10:23:03 AM »
^^^Goldberg’s stamina in the ring is something his naysayers have always nayed, but no idea how true it is.

That's a fair point probably, although he never blew up as badly as, say, the Ultimate Warrior. He had a ton of squash matches but he had a fair few longer matches where he wasn't playing face-in-peril for 99% of the time. His matches with Scott Steiner were long and brutal and both guys got in equal offence.
Hyrkanian Badass

Riv1

• +78/-1066
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2019, 05:11:53 PM »
^^^good deal, thanks for clarifying.
I never noticed him being exceptionally gassed, but that was a long time ago, i kinda figured ppl were just talking shit.

Sick Nick

• +10/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2019, 05:44:12 AM »
^^^good deal, thanks for clarifying.
I never noticed him being exceptionally gassed, but that was a long time ago, i kinda figured ppl were just talking shit.

He wasn't close to being as good a professional wrestler as Lesnar but I never saw him really sucking air in the ring. He didn't unnecessarily waste energy early on like Warrior and he could keep up a good pace and not fluff his power moves. Somebody like Davey Boy Smith in the early 90s was easily as strong as Goldberg at the outset of a match but you wouldn't see him doing the same power moves 10 or 20 minutes into a match the way Goldberg did and he'd spend a lot more time selling and lying around in restholds ... Goldberg would hit power move after power move throughout his matches and he rarely messed them up.
Hyrkanian Badass

Gree

• +46/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2019, 02:47:13 PM »

He was cut yes, but a significant portion of that was from inexperience.

NCAA champ<<<Olympic gold for sure

UFC athletism however is impressive.

Combine that with lesnars 40 time, his bench and squat

The trio is hard to beat.

Goldberg and Angle are serious contender

Sick Nick

• +10/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2019, 03:46:29 AM »

He was cut yes, but a significant portion of that was from inexperience.

NCAA champ<<<Olympic gold for sure

UFC athletism however is impressive.

Combine that with lesnars 40 time, his bench and squat

The trio is hard to beat.

Goldberg and Angle are serious contender

It's almost impossible to compare achievements across the board and come up with a definite answer. Take Simmons ... he beat Lesnar in the bench and 40 yard dash, although I doubt he could squat nearly as much, and had a super-successful college football career and spent some time in the NFL. Goldberg's 40 yard dash time was apparently even better than Simmons' and he had a far superior football career but I doubt he could squat as much as Simmons and nowhere near as much as Lesnar. His bench has been the cause of a lot of debate. I've seen people claim Goldberg could bench 520 but the man himself has been really coy about that subject, usually changing the subject or saying what he can do for reps ... Goldberg's not exactly shy about talking about his achievements usually, so you've gotta think his bench isn't that impressive.

Mind you, I've also seen people on the net claiming Lesnar can bench 660lbs, which is utter bullshit. Again, Lesnar's a braggart about what he can do and at the time he was trying for the Vikings, he said himself that he'd never done more than 475 and would need a few months' concentrated effort to hit 500. Lesnar's got long arms and his strength is in lifts like squat and deadlift, not bench press.

Simmons was benching 525 at FSU and I wouldn't be that surprised if his numbers had gone up when he moved to pro wrestling. By all accounts, Mark Henry aside, he was the strongest guy in the locker room in WWE until Kane turned up.
Hyrkanian Badass

Gree

• +46/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2019, 07:08:18 PM »
But were talking athleticism

Insane Titan

• +6/-11
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2019, 05:58:14 AM »
Gotta be angle for me.

There was a reason WWE picked him to feud with Cripple H after he cane back from his quad injury.

pittfox

• +5/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2019, 05:35:36 AM »
Just a reminder Angle said he is a better wrestler than Lesnar for sure but Lesnar being such a freak athlete made it a good match.

Sick Nick

• +10/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2019, 08:14:55 AM »
Just a reminder Angle said he is a better wrestler than Lesnar for sure but Lesnar being such a freak athlete made it a good match.

Meltzer talked about a friendly round-robin wrestling tussle backstage between Lesnar, Angle and Big Show, not too long after Lesnar joined the company.

Apparently Angle frustrated Lesnar with his skill but Show was so big, Angle couldn't do anything to him. By contrast, Lesnar was able to muscle Big Show around against his will. Jericho was present and said that Big Show doesn't know his own strength and doesn't have the same aggression and competitiveness as BRAWK!, which gave Lesnar the edge - he said if Show was serious, Lesnar wouldn't have been able to overpower him.
Hyrkanian Badass